CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:59:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)  (Read 5314 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2023, 09:58:06 PM »

I think Holtorf still defeats Boebert. He's just as far-right without seeming like an embarrassment.

IMO Holtorf and Boebert split the MAGA vote and allow a normie con like Mike Lynch through.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2023, 10:21:47 PM »

What a coward. To be fair, would we expect courage from Lauren Boebert?
JMT

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2023, 10:29:52 PM »

Yeah this is interesting, I didn’t see this one coming but I’m not surprised.

While incumbents often run in different districts in redistricting years, are there other examples of incumbents carpetbagging to a new district in non-redistricting years? Besides Boebert, the only other example I can think of is Mario Díaz-Balart, who opted to leave the 25th district to run for the more conservative 21st district that his brother (Lincoln Díaz-Balart) was vacating in 2010. Are there any other examples?

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2023, 10:39:19 PM »

She must have had some dismal internal polling. I never thought that she was rational enough to recognize when she would lose.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2023, 10:43:39 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2023, 11:07:49 PM by Oryxslayer »

While incumbents often run in different districts in redistricting years, are there other examples of incumbents carpetbagging to a new district in non-redistricting years? Besides Boebert, the only other example I can think of is Mario Díaz-Balart, who opted to leave the 25th district to run for the more conservative 21st district that his brother (Lincoln Díaz-Balart) was vacating in 2010. Are there any other examples?

It's not immediate,  but the one that springs to mind is Ann Kirkpatrick who represented the big first district after 2008 and again after 2012 redistricting until she ran for senate in 2016. Then in 2018 she ran in the Tuscon second district and had it until 2022. Now, in her case it wasn't really a major issue cause her old seat now had a different Dem incumbent, the districts had similar partisanship (no accusations of running for safety), and the Arizona population is so transient.  But it still came up on that first 2018 campaign.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2023, 10:50:02 PM »

It's not immediate,  but the one that springs to mind is Ann Kirkpatrick who represented the big first district after 2008 and again after 2012 redistricting until she ran for senate in 2016. Then in 2018 she ran in the Tuscon second district and had it until 2022. Now, in her case it wasn't really a major issue cause her old seat not had a different Dem incumbent, the districts had similar partisanship (no accusations of running for safety), and the Arizona population is so transient.  But it still came up on that first 2018 campaign.

Also Kirkpatrick was well liked by Democrats across the state. Definitely not the case with Boebert.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2023, 10:52:56 PM »

She must have had some dismal internal polling. I never thought that she was rational enough to recognize when she would lose.
I think she would've been even more delusional than she already is to think she would be secure after winning by the narrowest margin of anyone in Congress right now.
JMT

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2023, 11:01:49 PM »

It's not immediate,  but the one that springs to mind is Ann Kirkpatrick who represented the big first district after 2008 and again after 2012 redistricting until she ran for senate in 2016. Then in 2018 she ran in the Tuscon second district and had it until 2022. Now, in her case it wasn't really a major issue cause her old seat not had a different Dem incumbent, the districts had similar partisanship (no accusations of running for safety), and the Arizona population is so transient.  But it still came up on that first 2018 campaign.

Also Kirkpatrick was well liked by Democrats across the state. Definitely not the case with Boebert.

Good example! I forgot about Kirkpatrick.

I just remembered that Gil Cisneros is essentially running in a new district this year (CA-31) to replace Grace Napolitano. Very technically, there is some overlap with his old district, but not a lot… per Daily Kos, “all of five of Napolitano's current constituents live within the boundaries of Cisneros' old seat.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/1/2184435/-Morning-Digest-Two-Republicans-who-recognized-Biden-s-win-weigh-retirement

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2023, 11:15:12 PM »

Good example! I forgot about Kirkpatrick.

I just remembered that Gil Cisneros is essentially running in a new district this year (CA-31) to replace Grace Napolitano. Very technically, there is some overlap with his old district, but not a lot… per Daily Kos, “all of five of Napolitano's current constituents live within the boundaries of Cisneros' old seat.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/1/2184435/-Morning-Digest-Two-Republicans-who-recognized-Biden-s-win-weigh-retirement

Well the maps have been redrawn since Cisneros last ran.

Regardless Boebert is in a very bad position and a Trump endorsement is not going to be enough to save her. Trump was not able to save Madison Cawthorn even after he carpetbagged back to his old seat, and I expect Boebert will do even worse in the primary than Cawthorn did since she's actually following through on the carpetbag.
JMT

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2023, 11:42:41 PM »

It’ll be interesting to see if Mike Johnson/House Leadership/NRCC treats Boebert as the incumbent here. I imagine they’ll throw her an endorsement, but probably won’t spend money here since it’s a safe R race anyways.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2023, 12:00:05 AM »

It’ll be interesting to see if Mike Johnson/House Leadership/NRCC treats Boebert as the incumbent here. I imagine they’ll throw her an endorsement, but probably won’t spend money here since it’s a safe R race anyways.

Was leadership willing to save Cawthorn?
JMT

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2023, 12:12:01 AM »

Was leadership willing to save Cawthorn?

Good point! So perhaps not
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2023, 12:47:13 AM »

Interestingly enough, Sinema thought about doing this in 2014 and running for the district that ironically ended up electing Ruben Gallego that year. But ultimately decided against it and successfully sought reelection in the more purple AZ-09 against none other than...Wendy Rogers.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2023, 01:06:16 AM »

Holtorf is going to run away with the nomination here and it won’t be close. He’s a great fit for the district. Carpetbagging to CO-5 was a bad move by Boebert, but the writing was clearly on the wall that the GOP in CO-3 didn’t want her anymore and thought it was too risky to advance her to the general election.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2023, 01:10:30 AM »

Holtorf is going to run away with the nomination here and it won’t be close. He’s a great fit for the district. Carpetbagging to CO-5 was a bad move by Boebert, but the writing was clearly on the wall that the GOP in CO-3 didn’t want her anymore and thought it was too risky to advance her to the general election.

Wonder if this was more the NRCC/COGOP who got her to move rather than something Boebert did on her own?

This could not end well for her though. Boebert has a very low ceiling in the primary as a blatant carpetbagger and her only hope is squeaking through a clown car with a Trump endorsement.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2023, 09:54:08 AM »

Major advantage that Boebert has here is that running for CO-03 requires you to run in every media market in the state, so her name ID is probably quite high statewide (the theater incident obviously picked up a lot of earned media coverage as well, so not all of this will be positive name ID, but it's still a significant head start).

Also worth noting that Madison Cawthorn attempted this before the NC courts redrew the map and took a lot of flack from the state party for it.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2023, 10:17:19 AM »

Major advantage that Boebert has here is that running for CO-03 requires you to run in every media market in the state, so her name ID is probably quite high statewide (the theater incident obviously picked up a lot of earned media coverage as well, so not all of this will be positive name ID, but it's still a significant head start).

Also worth noting that Madison Cawthorn attempted this before the NC courts redrew the map and took a lot of flack from the state party for it.

True, but I don’t think people in CO-04 see Boebert as a Denver-area politician. Also, Mondaire Jones never left the NYC media market when he carpetbagged but Manhattan and Brooklyn surely didn’t treat him like an incumbent.

Given that Cawthorn couldn’t even be renominated for his old seat he would have been obliterated in the original gerrymandered Charlotte seat he planned on running in. Boebert’s in the same boat as Cawthorn was.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »

Boebert is in for a rocky primary.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2023, 11:42:32 AM »

As far as I am concerned the H is gone for the Rs anyways
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2023, 12:13:39 PM »

Watching Boebert lose this primary would be very akin to watching Steve King losing his primary to Randy Feenstra; I'll certainly cheer for the dumbfock losing, but who they're being replaced by won't be much better.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2023, 01:18:22 PM »

True, but I don’t think people in CO-04 see Boebert as a Denver-area politician. Also, Mondaire Jones never left the NYC media market when he carpetbagged but Manhattan and Brooklyn surely didn’t treat him like an incumbent.

Given that Cawthorn couldn’t even be renominated for his old seat he would have been obliterated in the original gerrymandered Charlotte seat he planned on running in. Boebert’s in the same boat as Cawthorn was.

Not sure what the Denver-area politician thing is referring to.

Silly to compare the New York media market  to the Denver and Colorado Springs media markets.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2023, 01:57:17 PM »

I don’t see this ending well for Tugger at all.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2023, 01:59:43 PM »

Why? It seems like she's the perfect match for the Republican base.

Anyway, I certainly hope so. Would be great to have her departing from the House.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2023, 03:11:20 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2023, 01:31:54 AM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

I can only imagine how bad those internal polls must've been if she was forced to go for such a Hail Mary.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies