CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:23:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: CO-4: Boebert in hot water again (1/7)  (Read 5311 times)
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2023, 06:11:54 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2024, 01:37:19 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 06:33:11 PM »

It's wild that Ken Buck of all people is the "reasonable" one in the GOP caucus, and not someone like Fitzpatrick. (Fitz is a fake moderate and this all just proves it)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »

It's probably to avoid a primary. In time his district might be the only GOP voting district left in the state.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 07:04:12 PM »

Fun fact: He came within 2% of not being able to get on the ballot last year as his primary challenger got 59% of the convention vote (60% and there's no primary). The primary challenger was a literal nobody as well, there aren't even any pictures of him online lol.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 07:07:33 PM »

It's probably to avoid a primary. In time his district might be the only GOP voting district left in the state.

CO-05 is trending blue?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 07:46:51 PM »

Even that district has a shot at flipping before the next census, because of how rapidly left-trending Douglas County is.
JMT

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 08:08:49 PM »

2010 me wouldn’t have had Ken Buck retiring/resigning due to a likely primary challenge from the right on my Bingo card.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 08:17:00 PM »

Bucking the trend. (I don't know if anyone here remembers that that was the title of Atlas' 2010 CO-SEN thread, but it was incredibly accurate as Bennet somehow survived a race a lot of people wrote him off as dead in)

Anyway, if Ken Buck literally just resigns all "LOL I'm out of here" that'd be the funniest thing and way more amusing than him just not running for reelection.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 09:29:13 PM »

Fun fact: He came within 2% of not being able to get on the ballot last year as his primary challenger got 59% of the convention vote (60% and there's no primary). The primary challenger was a literal nobody as well, there aren't even any pictures of him online lol.

Found one. Pretty much what you migth expect.

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 10:37:06 PM »

Hope he sticks around. One of the best in Congress.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 10:57:20 PM »

CO-05 is trending blue?

Kind of. Colorado Springs as its anchor is not as Republican as it used to be.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 11:02:19 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2023, 11:16:24 PM by Roll Roons »

It's wild that Ken Buck of all people is the "reasonable" one in the GOP caucus, and not someone like Fitzpatrick. (Fitz is a fake moderate and this all just proves it)

He literally votes with Biden 70% of the time. Did he kill your dog or something?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 11:21:07 PM »

CO-05 is trending blue?

The Springs I think narrowly voted for Biden. They just elected a “non-partisan” Mayor who is pretty  known to at-least have sympathy for the democrats. If current patterns persist it’ll probably blue by 2030.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2023, 11:23:14 PM »

CO-05 is trending blue?

The Springs I think narrowly voted for Biden. They just elected a “non-partisan” Mayor who is pretty  known to at-least have sympathy for the democrats. If current patterns persist it’ll probably blue by 2030.

No, I think Trump still won it narrowly, although I'm fairly sure it voted for Polis. That district is safe R in 2024, but definitely worth watching further down the road.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 09:11:20 AM »

If Buck has become such a moderate, why did he vote against the defense appropriate rule (along with only 4 other Republicans)?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2023, 09:19:53 AM »

If true, it's literally insane to face a primary just because he voiced skepticism over a potential Biden impeachment. The GOP really doesn't tolerate any different opinion on any issue. If that even counts as issue.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »

If Buck has become such a moderate, why did he vote against the defense appropriate rule (along with only 4 other Republicans)?

Buck isn't "such a moderate"; he's a figure on the right half of the Freedom Caucus. It seems like he's someone who's vaguely gotten disinterested in Congress, though; he got a scare in the 2022 convention/primary from a nobody running basically just on "new blood" rather than any concrete differences and he's considering resigning to go pursue a career in media.

CO-05 is trending blue?

Yes, and actually very fast, but it also remains very red overall. It swung from Trump+28 in 2016 (60/32) to Trump+18 in 2020 (58/40).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 09:40:06 AM »

We don't know whom the D that is running
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 10:12:43 AM »

CO-05 is trending blue?

No, I think Trump still won it narrowly, although I'm fairly sure it voted for Polis. That district is safe R in 2024, but definitely worth watching further down the road.

Looked up on DRA, Colorado Springs did go to Trump by 3.5% in 2020, he won it by 16.0% in 2016.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 12:03:44 PM »

CO-05 is trending blue?

Looked up on DRA, Colorado Springs did go to Trump by 3.5% in 2020, he won it by 16.0% in 2016.

That Atlanta suburbs level swing
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 02:09:03 PM »

Yes, and actually very fast, but it also remains very red overall. It swung from Trump+28 in 2016 (60/32) to Trump+18 in 2020 (58/40).

The Colorado Springs district?   Trump won it by 22% in 2016 and 10% in 2020.  2016 had a huge third party vote share though (~10%)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2023, 08:05:29 PM »

There are Republicans who legitimately, genuinely oppose the witch-hunt into Joe Biden. And there are people like Ken Buck, who are very clearly gunning for cushy jobs in the media.

Truly is. Last I remember of Buck, it was back during the Speakership vote, when he went missing and flip-flopped on his vote or something like that (details are a bit fuzzy now).
Spectator
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 08:08:47 PM »

The Colorado Springs district?   Trump won it by 22% in 2016 and 10% in 2020.  2016 had a huge third party vote share though (~10%)

Biden set a record for Democratic presidential performance in that seat regardless. Then Polis and Bennet did even better last year. That seat will probably flip sometime in the next decade.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 08:12:37 PM »

Even that district has a shot at flipping before the next census, because of how rapidly left-trending Douglas County is.

Ehh Douglas County alone won't be enough to flip the entire district, imo.

If true, it's literally insane to face a primary just because he voiced skepticism over a potential Biden impeachment. The GOP really doesn't tolerate any different opinion on any issue. If that even counts as issue.

Apparently he barely even won renomination in 2022. I'm not sure why, since he seems pretty conservative and standard R till now, but it appears very similar to what happened to Scott Tipton in neighbouring CO-03 two years earlier. Not particularly surprising that Republicans in the rural mountain west are extremely conservative, but still noteworthy.

Ig his close shave is the real reason he's looking for post-Congress careers - till I entered this thread, I was kinda under the impression that he wasn't particularly vulnerable to a primary threat (though maybe I should've known better).
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2023, 08:14:13 PM »

Biden set a record for Democratic presidential performance in that seat regardless. Then Polis and Bennet did even better last year. That seat will probably flip sometime in the next decade.

I could definitely see CO-03 and CO-05 voting Democratic regularly by the end of the decade. CO-04 will be the toughest nut to crack but it has Douglas County in the district. It could be in the single digits very soon, and while I could see it going D in statewide races it’ll take some time before it catches up downballot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies