Ohio voters on both sides see the benefits Edwards brings to the democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Ohio voters on both sides see the benefits Edwards brings to the democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio voters on both sides see the benefits Edwards brings to the democrats  (Read 871 times)
nomorelies

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2004, 10:50:26 AM »

Views among four members of the "Voice of the Voter" panel were pleased on Democratic Sen. John Kerry's pick of former trial attorney Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., as his vice presidential running mate.
Panel member Carter Gaither, a Republican from Crestview Hills, Ky., called the Massachusetts senator's pick "safe," and called it a signal to the nation's powerful trial attorney lobby.

"I think they're going to be able to raise more money and get their name and ideas out because they'll have more money" (from attorneys' contributions), said Gaither, who is leaning toward voting for President Bush.

Democrat and Kerry supporter Charlotte Gressett of Wilder, Ky., said Edwards was a perfect fit for the ticket.

"I like the fact that he is somewhat in touch with middle-class America. He did live that as a younger person. He was able to overcome some adversity with the death of their child, but they found enough hope to move on from there," she said.

Edwards' first child, Wade, was 16 when he died in a car crash in 1996. Edwards and wife Elizabeth have three other children.

Four of the eight panel members -- two registered Democrats and two Republicans -- were separately interviewed about Edwards by telephone Monday by WNKU-FM's "Speaking Frankly" host Maryanne Zeleznik and a Post reporter.

Undecided Democrat Jon Hopkins of Covington agreed that Edwards has a compelling life story that made him an appealing choice.

"I think he identifies with many Americans because of his background. His father worked in a factory, he was the first of his family to go to college and became a successful trial lawyer," he said. "I think John Edwards will help out Sen. Kerry quite a bit."

Hopkins also said Edwards, a first-term senator, would have to prove himself against Republican Vice President Dick Cheney in the fall debates.

"He doesn't have a lot of political experience like the other guys have. I think it will be key for Americans to see how John Edwards handles himself in pressure situations," Hopkins said.

Dick Rooney, a Republican and Bush supporter from Sharonville, said Edwards' experience pales in comparison to Cheney. But he said that could be a positive for some voters.

"I think it's a good move because he hasn't been in the political realm, that hasn't been his life," he said.

"I think it's been refreshing to select Edwards. I don't think he'll be the typical bureaucrat," he said. But, he added, "I don't think he can compete with Dick Cheney at this time."

Gaither said he thought Edwards would tighten the race between Republicans and Democrats, but for superficial reasons. "I think it will make it closer," he said. "Because people don't read, because he's good-looking, he's articulate and he's selling a dream. And I think people will buy into what he's saying."

With the Democratic National Convention coming up later this month, panelists were also asked what they expected from the convention, where the party will officially nominate Kerry as its presidential candidate.

None of the panelists expected much new information to come out of the convention. "I guess it's nice to have a rah-rah convention. but I'm not sure that it's going to affect the election at this point," Gressett said.

Gaither said, "I'm not just expecting much more than just spin. I think that both conventions are more made-for television, they're kind of weeklong advertisements for their message."

The Democratic convention will be in Boston July 26-29. The Republican convention will be in New York City, Aug. 30-Sept. 2
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 11:18:21 AM »

Edwards should help quite a bit in his home state of NC as well.        Uh, nevermind.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »

Edwards should help quite a bit in his home state of NC as well.        Uh, nevermind.

HAHAHA . . . perfect.  NOMO is just up to his old tricks again.  Good response.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies