9/15/2023 check-in: How do you think the Ukrainian invasion ends up?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:31:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  9/15/2023 check-in: How do you think the Ukrainian invasion ends up?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: About where will we be by December 2025?  Pick one option from the first 12, then one of the final two.
Russia will eventually break Ukraine and capture Kiev by conventional means

Russia will break through Ukrainian defenses and capture more territory, such as Odessa, by conventional means, before declaring victory

Russia will use WMDs to destroy the Ukrainian army and achieve its goals

Ukraine will sue for peace and voluntarily surrender some or all of the captured territory

Western nations will force Ukraine to surrender some or all of the captured territory to end the war

The war will never end and turns into a decades-long WW1-style trench warfare at the current lines

Ukraine will succeed in pushing Russia out of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson, but surrender Luhansk/Donetsk/Crimea for peace

Western nations will force Ukraine to agree to peace before it recaptures Luhansk/Donetsk

Ukraine will recapture Luhansk/Donetsk but abandon Crimea for peace

Western nations will force Ukraine to abandon Crimea after it retakes Luhansk/Donetsk

Ukraine will recapture Crimea, liberating all of its former territories

Ukraine will liberate all of its former territories, liberate Transnistria, and invade along the Black Sea coast to liberate Georgia

BONUS Q:  Putin still rules Russia in Dec. 2025

BONUS Q:  Putin is no longer ruler of Russia in Dec. 2025

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: 9/15/2023 check-in: How do you think the Ukrainian invasion ends up?  (Read 1281 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2023, 10:57:51 PM »

Again you’re the one saying an invasion won’t happen calling it a “nothingburger” and saying “there will be no invasion” for everyone to see. Also you only made the original to troll andjey so you can save the whining as no one wants to hear it
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2023, 11:28:26 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2023, 11:33:53 PM by Horus »

The fact that it's been this long and there's still no consistent view leads me to believe that, sadly, #6 is the most likely option for the next couple years at least. Last time I checked Ukraine was gaining territory back but at such a slow pace that it will take like 70 years to regain everything if they don't speed up.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2023, 12:44:05 AM »

6 but replace it with a more frozen/low intensity conflict.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2023, 08:20:05 AM »

Last time I checked Ukraine was gaining territory back but at such a slow pace that it will take like 70 years to regain everything if they don't speed up.

Remember the maxim "gradually, then suddenly" though - lots of examples of it in wartime.

Not saying that you are wrong, simply that it is still too early to say.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2023, 12:31:54 PM »

Last time I checked Ukraine was gaining territory back but at such a slow pace that it will take like 70 years to regain everything if they don't speed up.

Remember the maxim "gradually, then suddenly" though - lots of examples of it in wartime.

That only happens when both sides can't afford any more attrition. Russia has not mobilized and that is a huge factor in the calculation. Ukraine has had a general mobilization for over a year, while Russia has only done a partial one. If you don't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »

Can you mention those examples? I am sure they will all be from two sides fully committed to war, war economics and general mobilization. The point is that in this conflict, only Ukraine has those characteristics. The Russian economy is still mostly civilian and they have had only partial mobilization in over a year of war.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2023, 12:52:17 PM »

Can you mention those examples? I am sure they will all be from two sides fully committed to war, war economics and general mobilization. The point is that in this conflict, only Ukraine has those characteristics. The Russian economy is still mostly civilian and they have had only partial mobilization in over a year of war.
Like with America in the War on Terror, Russia not going into war economy footing or enacting mass mobilization is a deliberate policy choice. Anything which affects the daily lives of Russians, and for something that unlike the Great Patriotic War is absolutely not an existential conflict, is likely to spur greater opposition.

Anyway, I think the medium-term outcome is #6, though less Iran-Iraq and more of another post-Soviet frozen conflict.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2023, 01:21:48 PM »

It will never end.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2023, 02:49:01 PM »

Like with America in the War on Terror, Russia not going into war economy footing or enacting mass mobilization is a deliberate policy choice. Anything which affects the daily lives of Russians, and for something that unlike the Great Patriotic War is absolutely not an existential conflict, is likely to spur greater opposition.

Anyway, I think the medium-term outcome is #6, though less Iran-Iraq and more of another post-Soviet frozen conflict.
No country has ever won a war that it didn't fully commit.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies