Guess who will be Kristen Welker's guest on her first episode of MTP...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:45:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Guess who will be Kristen Welker's guest on her first episode of MTP...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Guess who will be Kristen Welker's guest on her first episode of MTP...  (Read 1255 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »

Whoever holds a neutral stance regarding the threat that Trump presents to democracy is no better than the tankies who say they want peace in Ukraine.

They don't hold a neutral stance. And it's noon. Day time is supposed to be non partisan. All of the networks do that.

It's not partisan to call Trump out on his s***. That clip from the interview does not inspire confidence in Welker doing that. But I'll judge the whole interview before jumping to conclusions. But I am not optimistic.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2023, 08:12:50 PM »

If you're talking about the clip of her and Mitchell, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. She's talking about his strategy for winning. If you're talking about the interview clip above that, she let him talk yeah.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2023, 09:07:36 PM »

If you're talking about the clip of her and Mitchell, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. She's talking about his strategy for winning. If you're talking about the interview clip above that, she let him talk yeah.

Saying that Trump is "fired up about many issues" and mentioning his "deal-making ability" is open normalization of a sociopath's nonsensical ravings, who by the way is credibly accused of violating half the US code.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2023, 09:15:32 PM »

Ok but I can tell you from years of watching her show that she doesn't normalize Trump. They're talking about the strike because that was the big news this morning and he doesn't say anything objectionable in the clip so I don't know what you want her to say. Also it was deal making status, not ability.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2023, 11:28:01 AM »

By playing to his ego, she got him to undermine his defense on J6. He's been using an advice of counsel defense in court. But in the interview he said he listened to himself, not lawyers.

“In many cases I didn’t respect them,” he continued. “But I did respect others, I respected many others that said the election was rigged.”

Welker noted that Trump had previously said some of his outside attorneys had crazy theories about the election.

“You know who I listen to? Myself. I saw what happened. I watched that election, and I thought that election was over at 10 o’clock in the evening,” Trump said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4208807-trump-says-he-didnt-respect-his-lawyers-who-said-he-lost-2020-election/
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2023, 07:18:38 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2023, 03:04:32 AM by Progressive Pessimist »

Welker didn't do as bad as Kaitlin Collins, but she still kind of f***ed up and still let too many of Trump's lies go unchallenged. Is Axios the only publication that can properly interview Trump? And for that reason he will likely never sit down for one again with them.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2023, 08:38:12 PM »

Welker didn't do as bad as Kaitlin Collins, but she still kind of f***ed up and still let too many of Trump's lies go unchallenged. Is Axios the only publication that can properly interview Trump? And for that reason he will likely never sit down for one again with them.
She is there to interview Trump, not debate him. She did a decent job considering the very difficult interviewee.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2023, 09:15:45 PM »

And she did shoot him down on what he said about Democrats' policies on abortion.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2023, 01:20:14 AM »

And she did shoot him down on what he said about Democrats' policies on abortion.

The only one who managed to corner Trump in an interview was Jonathan Swan. That's because he went prepared and instantly fact-checked him when he started to spew misinformation.

Welker was just another speed bump who made the fatal mistake of treating Trump like a normal politician who gives normal answers.  
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2023, 04:09:49 AM »

It was boring, he thinks, Trump he is still Prez, which he won't
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2023, 07:42:28 AM »

The only one who managed to corner Trump in an interview was Jonathan Swan. That's because he went prepared and instantly fact-checked him when he started to spew misinformation.

Welker was just another speed bump who made the fatal mistake of treating Trump like a normal politician who gives normal answers. 

Ok well she did do that and he didn't fight back just went with it.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »

Jonathan Swan's interview was outrageously unprofessional. I am generally opposed to "respect the office" nonsense in respect to US politicians (thankfully, this attitude seems to be dying out) but when you are interviewing a head of state on TV, you need to be measured and respectful, not insolent. You can challenge Trump in real-time without being a clown.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2023, 10:00:22 AM »

Personally, I think the best strategy for getting information out of politicians is to assuage their egos and try to come across as more extreme than they are to see how far they're willing to stretch their actions and morals if push came to shove. For example, here is self-described progressive Lauren Windsor interviewing Ted Cruz and Chuck Grassley about January 6th:

For Trump, I think your best bet would be to ask him something like. "President Trump, you are a very smart man, loved by many and feared by many more. We all know Joe Biden and the Democrats stole the 2020 election from you. When you called up that traitor Brad Raffensperger in Georgia and told him to find you 11,780 votes, what were you hoping he would do?" At the very least, you're going to get a lot more interesting and insightful an answer than if you just asked "What were your objectives in your phone call with the Georgia Secretary of State on January 2nd, 2021?" even if that's the more lawyers way of going about it.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 10:10:10 AM »

Personally, I think the best strategy for getting information out of politicians is to assuage their egos and try to come across as more extreme than they are to see how far they're willing to stretch their actions and morals if push came to shove.

This is a good way to make friends, not really a good way to do a meaningful interview. People will go along if you stroke their egos and egg them on. Plus, once you publish your "interview" in an unflattering context, you will never get an interview with anyone again.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2023, 11:02:21 AM »

She played to his ego and got him to admit it was his idea that the election was stolen. That undermines his advice of counsel defense at trial.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »

Leave Kristen Welker alone!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States