Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:57:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?  (Read 2738 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2023, 03:31:33 AM »

Some social issues, such as guns, aren’t a big deal, but opposition to LBGT rights is inexcusable. It’s a civil rights issue, a matter of basic human equality. Opposing same-sex marriage doesn’t even make sense politically, since marriage equality is now supported by the majority of Americans. Democrats should not compromise on backing the rights of everyone.

That doesn’t mean that Democrats should needlessly alienate people who disagree with certain parts the party platform, economic or social (heck, there was plenty of room for Southern racists in the Democratic Party, during the time of the New Deal). I certainly appreciate your votes for the party. By voting to elect Democrats, you are effectively voting to protect LGBT rights, in addition to fair economic policies. Good for you.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2023, 04:02:22 AM »

In the current political climate there should be room in the democratic party for ANYONE who recognizes that the current version of the GOP is a threat to the survival of democracy in the US. I'd welcome even allround conservatives, as long as they agree with the above.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2023, 06:33:32 AM »

There's no place for people who oppose gay marriage in civilized society
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2023, 07:28:50 AM »

In all honestly I don’t think I’m very different from Joe Biden.

Then you don’t know Joe Biden very well.

Yeah, Biden is no social conservative. He’s been “comfortable” (his own word) with SSM for over a decade, and whether or not he’s personally pro-life, he’s pro-choice in terms of government policy. Biden may even be to my left on gun control. Maybe people misunderstand Biden because of his sometimes old-fashioned way of expressing things, but Biden is not a social conservative.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2023, 08:22:26 AM »

Don't fall into the Political Compass-poisoned trap of assuming that your preferred political party ought to be your lodestar.

Your party preference doesn't need to be an important part of your identity. It doesn't need to influence your values, your associations, or how you present yourself to the world. There's a place for you in whichever party gives you more reason to vote for it than the others.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2023, 08:23:57 AM »

Would you have hosted Dylan Mulvaney at the White House like Joe Biden did, and would you have done a recorded interview with her about trans rights?
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2023, 09:37:07 AM »

If you say you're a Democrat, and you continue to vote Democrat, then you are a Democrat. Nuff' said.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2023, 02:10:00 PM »

If you’re against gay marriage, you’re either stupid or evil.

Is that a purity test?
I’m against gay marriage because of my religious beliefs. But I’m not advocating for repealing Hodges
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2023, 02:10:39 PM »

Religious beliefs
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2023, 02:14:54 PM »

Is that a purity test?
I’m against gay marriage because of my religious beliefs. But I’m not advocating for repealing Hodges

I interpreted this as you wanting to repeal it. I don't agree obviously but a moral objection to ssm while not wanting to take any action legally isn't as bad.

Still not understanding your opposition to legal weed. Seems like a no brainer, only way I can respect such a view is if you are also lobbying to make the far more dangerous alcohol illegal as well.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2023, 02:22:24 PM »

Is that a purity test?

I interpreted this as you wanting to repeal it. I don't agree obviously but a moral objection to ssm while not wanting to take any action legally isn't as bad.

Still not understanding your opposition to legal weed. Seems like a no brainer, only way I can respect such a view is if you are also lobbying to make the far more dangerous alcohol illegal as well.
I don’t think we should lock people up for weed. But I don’t think we should allow its sale or decriminalized drug dealers.

Why? I see no good from weed. Stoners smell. And it’s psychologically addicting. People are better off without it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2023, 02:24:01 PM »

Is that a purity test?

I don’t think we should lock people up for weed. But I don’t think we should allow its sale or decriminalized drug dealers.

Why? I see no good from weed. Stoners smell. And it’s psychologically addicting. People are better off without it.

And alcohol literally kills people daily from poisoning. Drunk drivers kill people daily. When has weed killed anyone?

Why are you not out there protesting a far, far more dangerous substance that can be picked up at any corner store?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2023, 02:31:28 PM »

Is that a purity test?

And alcohol literally kills people daily from poisoning. Drunk drivers kill people daily. When has weed killed anyone?

Why are you not out there protesting a far, far more dangerous substance that can be picked up at any corner store?
I’m Muslim. Never drank a drop in my life. My religious beliefs teach alcohol is evil. Not advocating for an alcohol ban because it’s pointless. Weed is still illegal. Legalization is probably inevitable, doesn’t mean it needs to become the norm to be high.

Go to Denver. Walk down the street and you are surrounded by smelly stoners. Imagine if the streets were filled with drunks. The cops would be called to clear them out
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2023, 02:33:25 PM »

Is that a purity test?

I’m Muslim. Never drank a drop in my life. My religious beliefs teach alcohol is evil. Not advocating for an alcohol ban because it’s pointless. Weed is still illegal. Legalization is probably inevitable, doesn’t mean it needs to become the norm to be high.

Go to Denver. Walk down the street and you are surrounded by smelly stoners. Imagine if the streets were filled with drunks. The cops would be called to clear them out

Because they'd probably be acting a fool while the stoners are just minding their business. And I like the smell of weed.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2023, 03:24:27 PM »

Then you don’t know Joe Biden very well.

There's a difference between supporting something and doing something to appease the base. It's possible that Biden's public positions are his actual positions as people can change their minds but he's flip flopped so many times on the issues during his decades of public service that it's hard to tell whether he's sincere or towing the party line.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2023, 04:55:51 PM »

These two statements contradict each other.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »

I wouldn't support someone with the OP's views if they ran for office. I think there should be some ideological criteria for who Democrats elect because I don't think it would be fair for Democrats not to have anyone to vote for who represents their views.

In a proportional representation system, I think that social conservatives should join a different party. In the US, it's ultimately up to each person to pick which of the two parties is closer to their views and then support that one. Since the OP is in Tennessee though I doubt he ever votes in competitive elections-except maybe state legislative ones-so this does make it easier for him to cast a vote for a third party (but unfortunately the two party system is so entrenched that makes almost as little impact as not voting).
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2023, 05:15:45 PM »

Regarding trans: I get the sports thing (I went through most of my male puberty, so I still have some residual advantages from it, probably), but I don't get the bathroom thing. What difference does it make if I piss in the ladies' room instead of the men's room? I'm planning on getting rid of my penis someday; what good would it do for a post-op trans woman (who fits the simplest, most easily observable biological reality: the Kindergarten Cop rule) to piss next to dudes?
Since Motorcity is still responding to this thread, these weren't rhetorical questions.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2024, 02:15:09 PM »

Regarding trans: I get the sports thing (I went through most of my male puberty, so I still have some residual advantages from it, probably), but I don't get the bathroom thing. What difference does it make if I piss in the ladies' room instead of the men's room? I'm planning on getting rid of my penis someday; what good would it do for a post-op trans woman (who fits the simplest, most easily observable biological reality: the Kindergarten Cop rule) to piss next to dudes?
I'm mostly ok with post-op trans women using the restroom of their choice
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2024, 03:15:29 PM »

Plenty of social conservatives vote for the Democratic Party. But you’re not going to see a whole lot of Democratic officeholders with your social views outside of the local level. On the state and national level, those people are actively being purged, and even Manchin supports SSM and “safe, legal, and rare” abortion rights, although he opposes trans sports. Heck, a lot of Republicans support SSM and legal weed.

So you’re welcome to vote for whichever party lines up with the issues you personally prioritize. But if you’re asking, is there room in the Democratic Party for elected officeholders with more socially conservative views on things like abortion and transgenderism? Then the answer right now is no.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2024, 03:17:56 PM »

There is room for social moderates, but someone who is homophobic, transphobic, anti-choice, and anti-legalization is not a Democrat by any reasonable definition.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2024, 03:18:44 PM »

The tent could probably be a little bit bigger.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2024, 03:21:32 PM »

You are not alone my friend. The Democratic Party is, for better or for worse, the best home for us in 2024.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »

In my view, anyone who doesn't support dictatorship and violent coups should vote Democratic. There is no other choice. However, LGBTQ rights and a woman's right to choose are non-negotiable, basic human rights.

By the way, your views on these issues do not "align with minorities" - in fact, opposition to same-sex marriage is such a fringe view according to every poll on the issue that even Republicans don't really try to oppose it anymore, and I don't think that any Democratic group is remotely close to being anti-choice in polls. Hopefully you grow up and understand that these views you hold on other people's lives and personal choices don't make you special, interesting or more deserving of attention, but rather disrespectful and degrading of your fellow human beings and their dignity.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2024, 03:32:11 PM »

Not if you insist that the Democratic Party push a socially conservative agenda and chastise them for not doing so. The only way you can find space in the Democratic Party is if you accept that Democrats aren't going to push that sort of agenda and be content with the economic one. Social conservatives in the Democratic Party have been replaced by socially liberal Republicans who were forced out of their old party.

I agree with you to the extent that if people want Democrats to advocate a socially conservative agenda then to the degree that Democrats are genuinely socially liberal (it's clearly a finger in the wind social liberalism, but that's probably to be expected), they're going to be disappointed, but obviously in a democratic party people have the right to push for the Democratic Party to adopt whatever platform they want.

Of course that works both ways as fellow Democrats have every right to push back on those who want the Democratic Party to adopt a more socially conservative agenda.

Personally I think the key thing is that the debate remain fact based, but I know many Democrats are more concerned with 'civility.'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies