Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:41:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Is there a place for social conservatives in the Democratic Party?  (Read 2740 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2023, 02:13:32 PM »
« edited: September 11, 2023, 02:17:55 PM by Pres Mike »

So I’m a Democrat. I consider myself a Democrat. I support

-Single Payer Healthcare
-Free college
-Student loan forgiveness
-Expanded SNAP benefits
-Unions
-Labor rights
-Increase immigration and refugee numbers  
-Gerrymandering ban
-Universal voter registration
-President elected by popular vote
-Higher taxes on rich
-No outsourcing or automation
-Federal job programs
-Higher pay for teacher
-Subsidized housing
-Environmental protections

But I’m a social conservative. I believe

-Abortion is murder. Should only be allowed in limited circumstances like rape, incest, health of mother, human trafficking etc.

-Marriage is between a man and a woman.

-Children should not be allowed to medically transition to a different gender.

-Trans people should only play sports of their biological sex. Nor should they use a different restroom.

-I’m strongly pro gun and against gun control

-EXTREMELY pro law and order. Shoplifters should be arrested. Rioting is never acceptable. 

-Marijuana should not be legalized.

I don’t feel like modern Democrats are very accepting to differences in the party. In all honestly I don’t think I’m very different from Joe Biden. And I feel my views are largely aligned with most minorities. Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Muslim communities in the US usually support Democrats are socially conservative compared to white people.

So, is there a place in the modern Democratic Party for social conservatives like me?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 02:17:16 PM »

Not if you insist that the Democratic Party push a socially conservative agenda and chastise them for not doing so. The only way you can find space in the Democratic Party is if you accept that Democrats aren't going to push that sort of agenda and be content with the economic one. Social conservatives in the Democratic Party have been replaced by socially liberal Republicans who were forced out of their old party.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 02:20:13 PM »

Not if you insist that the Democratic Party push a socially conservative agenda and chastise them for not doing so. The only way you can find space in the Democratic Party is if you accept that Democrats aren't going to push that sort of agenda and be content with the economic one. Social conservatives in the Democratic Party have been replaced by socially liberal Republicans who were forced out of their old party.
I don’t expect the Democratic Party to accommodate me. But I don’t want to be chastise or shunned. It happens all the time on atlas by “Democrats”
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 02:40:07 PM »

It depends on how socially conservative the social conservative in question is. There are lots of Democrats, especially among rank-and-file party members but even among local and state elected officials in much of the fruited plain, who keep hunting rifles or grandpa's old service pistol and resent the idea that makes them dangers to their communities, think abortion should be discouraged and are uncomfortable with actively expanding access, roll their eyes at some of the more avant-garde stuff in linguistic politics, etc., but the party in this day and age is not going to be very congenial for people who think it's totally fine what Ron DeSantis is doing on LGBT rights or Greg Abbott is doing on abortion or the Supreme Court is doing on unrestricted free-for-all gun rights.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »

I'm not a registered Democrat these days (though I am a consistent Democratic voter).

I think someone who pushes all the OP's positions as policy positions that need to be enforced by the government is a fascist and a bigot who will never rest until everyone around them is equally fascist and bigoted. Those rejecting the social contract of tolerance should not be tolerated.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 03:27:29 PM »

There are plenty of racial/ethnic minorities in the Democratic coalition who are even more socially conservative than you.  Of course there is a place for you, just as there is for them. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 03:38:13 PM »

I don’t expect the Democratic Party to accommodate me. But I don’t want to be chastise or shunned. It happens all the time on atlas by “Democrats”

You can't have your cake and eat it too. People are free to criticize your positions, especially when some of them are extreme hyperbole (if you think Democrats believing rioting should be legal, then you are engaging in strawman).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »

There's a place for social conservatives in the Democratic party but there's certainly not a place for people who want to repeal gay marriage and keep weed illegal lol, hell that wouldn't even be ideal for the GOP
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 04:01:18 PM »

I'm a proud Democrat despite rejecting completely some of the ideas pushed by the zeitgeist and by activist types in the party coalition.
If the party has room for me, it has room for you. And I have probably more disagreements with the party than you do.
I do relate very much with your feeling not much difference from Joe Biden.
The only person who can really tell you you have no place in the Democratic party is yourself.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 04:02:27 PM »

There's a place for social conservatives in the Democratic party but there's certainly not a place for people who want to repeal gay marriage and keep weed illegal lol, hell that wouldn't even be ideal for the GOP
What does it mean to be social conservative than in the modern Democratic Party?
I'm not a registered Democrat these days (though I am a consistent Democratic voter).

I think someone who pushes all the OP's positions as policy positions that need to be enforced by the government is a fascist and a bigot who will never rest until everyone around them is equally fascist and bigoted. Those rejecting the social contract of tolerance should not be tolerated.
No one is saying that. Is it wrong to say America was better off socially in 2005? I feel my positions would be welcomed in the Democratic Party under Bill Clinton
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »

There are plenty of racial/ethnic minorities in the Democratic coalition who are even more socially conservative than you.  Of course there is a place for you, just as there is for them. 

Not nearly as much as in 2012/16. These are the minority voters that have stampeded to the right since 2016 and make up a large part of republicans overall gains with minorties
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »

Your political views suck, but please continue to support and vote for Democratic Party candidates lol.

Don't care for the ideological purity testing of voters as long as they continue to vote for the party.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 04:39:35 PM »

Regarding trans: I get the sports thing (I went through most of my male puberty, so I still have some residual advantages from it, probably), but I don't get the bathroom thing. What difference does it make if I piss in the ladies' room instead of the men's room? I'm planning on getting rid of my penis someday; what good would it do for a post-op trans woman (who fits the simplest, most easily observable biological reality: the Kindergarten Cop rule) to piss next to dudes?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 05:14:31 PM »

Is it wrong to say America was better off socially in 2005?

Yes.

In all honestly I don’t think I’m very different from Joe Biden.

Then you don’t know Joe Biden very well.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »

Joe "trans rights are the civil rights issue of our time" Biden thinks trans women should be forced to go to the men's room.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 05:26:15 PM »

Joe "trans rights are the civil rights issue of our time" Biden thinks trans women should be forced to go to the men's room.
It's kind of silly to say that a different stance on trans rights is enough to make someone very different politically. There's a hundred other issues and dimensions to politics than that...
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 06:45:48 PM »

This is a tilt center-right country--more on the right than the left.  

People like the OP and myself (many similar economic and social positions of varying degrees) will continue to be relevant in the Democratic Party if the party wants to stay competitive nationally.
Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 08:45:48 PM »

So I’m a Democrat. I consider myself a Democrat. I support

-Single Payer Healthcare
-Free college
-Student loan forgiveness
-Expanded SNAP benefits
-Unions
-Labor rights
-Increase immigration and refugee numbers  
-Gerrymandering ban
-Universal voter registration
-President elected by popular vote
-Higher taxes on rich
-No outsourcing or automation
-Federal job programs
-Higher pay for teacher
-Subsidized housing
-Environmental protections

But I’m a social conservative. I believe

-Abortion is murder. Should only be allowed in limited circumstances like rape, incest, health of mother, human trafficking etc.

-Marriage is between a man and a woman.

-Children should not be allowed to medically transition to a different gender.

-Trans people should only play sports of their biological sex. Nor should they use a different restroom.

-I’m strongly pro gun and against gun control

-EXTREMELY pro law and order. Shoplifters should be arrested. Rioting is never acceptable. 

-Marijuana should not be legalized.

I don’t feel like modern Democrats are very accepting to differences in the party. In all honestly I don’t think I’m very different from Joe Biden. And I feel my views are largely aligned with most minorities. Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Muslim communities in the US usually support Democrats are socially conservative compared to white people.

So, is there a place in the modern Democratic Party for social conservatives like me?

I don't really think so, which is one of many reasons I can't support them in spite of sharing a lot of your economic stances.

If you're looking for a Economic left Social right party then the ASP might be right for you.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 08:48:20 PM »

This is a tilt center-right country--more on the right than the left.  

People like the OP and myself (many similar economic and social positions of varying degrees) will continue to be relevant in the Democratic Party if the party wants to stay competitive nationally.

Center right is a stretch considering that the right-wing has pushed many voters further left with extremist rhetoric. If anything it's closer to center left now because the center right is non-existent with the purge of moderates in the GOP. Center left really isn't as extreme as a lot of people would like to make it sound.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 09:27:58 PM »

No. There's also no place for social democracy in the Republican Party. Alas, you are politically homeless.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2023, 10:01:36 PM »

If you’re against gay marriage, you’re either stupid or evil.

Is that a purity test?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2023, 11:18:22 PM »

Your political views suck, but please continue to support and vote for Democratic Party candidates lol.

Don't care for the ideological purity testing of voters as long as they continue to vote for the party.

Politicians used to be smart enough to explicitly campaign this way. Now they think it's funny or clever to tell people not to vote for them.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2023, 12:50:49 AM »

If you’re against gay marriage, you’re either stupid or evil.

Is that a purity test?

The thing is, stupid people and evil people still vote.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2023, 01:23:42 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2023, 06:14:17 PM by NE Senator Christian Man »

At this point I'd argue the GOP is less hostile to eco progressives than Dems are to social cons but people with that platform are the least representative in Congress. But at the end of the day you have to prioritize if economics or social issues are more important to you.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 02:10:56 AM »

What's your problem with gay marriage?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: