The Queen's Death--1 Year Later
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Queen's Death--1 Year Later
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Queen's Death--1 Year Later  (Read 1504 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2023, 08:33:55 PM »

It's truly sad that Cromwell couldn't finish the job. At least support for abolition has grown a bit recently.

Cromwell was much, much worse.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »

Wow cool. It would’ve been nice if she’d also broken protocol by holding her pedophile son responsible for raping numerous women.
LBJer
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2023, 10:33:01 PM »

It's truly sad that Cromwell couldn't finish the job.

I take it you're not Irish.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2023, 10:57:28 PM »

My great-grandparents (my maternal grandfather's parents) were from Kerry and died without ever getting U.S. citizenship despite living in western Montana for the last half-century of their lives. But I was referring to Cromwell's toppling of the monarchy in any case.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2023, 12:23:18 AM »

My great-grandparents (my maternal grandfather's parents) were from Kerry and died without ever getting U.S. citizenship despite living in western Montana for the last half-century of their lives. But I was referring to Cromwell's toppling of the monarchy in any case.

Supporting Cromwell for "toppling the monarchy" is like supporting Mussolini for taking power from the King. Just because it's a monarchy doesn't mean the alternative isn't even worse. Sometimes much worse.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2023, 12:36:35 AM »

Supporting Cromwell for "toppling the monarchy" is like supporting Mussolini for taking power from the King. Just because it's a monarchy doesn't mean the alternative isn't even worse. Sometimes much worse.
Whenever I look at the 17th century English conflicts from the English perspective I find myself thinking of everyone involved as basically insufferable at best and heinous at worst, but having a bit more sympathy with the parliamentarians. But then my Irish side takes over and I start fantasizing about Cromwell rotting in hell.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2023, 01:48:26 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2023, 10:08:52 AM by Blair »

It had been an open secret that she was unwell and then by her jubilee it became obvious to those who know how to read between the lines of our rather ‘unique’ press commentary on the royals.

For most people with grandparents that age she took a pretty similar trajectory- she deserves credit for still being ready to sack Mr Blobby if needed when he was having his meltdown. For that she will have my enteral appreciation.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2023, 02:57:22 AM »

I still find it strange seeing references to KCs on the news.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2023, 05:40:56 AM »

Wow cool. It would’ve been nice if she’d also broken protocol by holding her pedophile son responsible for raping numerous women.

It is indeed unfortunate that Andrew was always her "favourite" child.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2023, 05:34:11 AM »

I wonder how long until I don't find it strange that we have a King not a Queen
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2023, 03:27:12 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2023, 12:31:31 AM by Republican Party Stalwart »

Without Oliver Cromwell, there would have been no British Whiggism as we know it; without that historical development, there would be no Thomas Jefferson, no James Madison, no Andrew Jackson, no Martin Van Buren, no Stephen Douglas, no Samuel Tilden, no Grover Cleveland, no William Jennings Bryan, no Woodrow Wilson, no FDR, no Harry S Truman, no Kennedys (Jack, Bobby, or Ted), no LBJ, no Jimmy Carter, no Bill Clinton, no Al Gore, no Joe Biden, and no Barack Obama (at least, not as we knew any of them).

Of course, I have no particular great love for any of those aforementioned Americans. But my understanding is that you do, KYWildman. (Not to mention that great figures from the other side of the American Overton Window - George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Alexander Hamilton, and Henry Clay - also owe their existence as we know them in part to Cromwell).

Whenever I look at the 17th century English conflicts from the English perspective I find myself thinking of everyone involved as basically insufferable at best and heinous at worst, but having a bit more sympathy with the parliamentarians. But then my Irish side takes over and I start fantasizing about Cromwell rotting in hell.

The duality of the Catholic "Irish American."
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2023, 03:40:21 PM »

Honestly, when she was pronounced dead, I was already prepared to see her go. Notwithstanding the already-noticeable accumulating issues with her health, as a recreational student of history and geopolitics I recognized that despite her long reign, her death was as inevitable as the deaths of Louis XIV of France and Sobhuza II of eSwatini were following their longer reigns. I never bought into the facetious commentary by my peers or elders about her being "immortal."

For me, the "weird" part is not the fact that she's gone, but the fact that the UK's monarch is now "King Charles III." The man was a public political figure in the international media and press for my entire childhood and adolescence - i.e. my formative years - and so despite my usual habit of conservative deference to authority and respect for decorum, he's still just "Prince Charles" to me.

I still find it strange seeing references to KCs on the news.

Beat me to it.

It still feels unreal that she's not here.

For some reason it feels like her reign was a lifetime ago for me. Interesting perception.

Yeah; the sum total of everything that happened (geopolitically and otherwise) in 2020 and 2021 alone, not to mention 2022 up to the moment of her death, will certainly do that to you.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2023, 03:52:30 PM »

Honestly, when she was pronounced dead, I was already prepared to see her go. Notwithstanding the already-noticeable accumulating issues with her health, as a recreational student of history and geopolitics I recognized that despite her long reign, her death was as inevitable as the deaths of Louis XIV of France and Sobhuza II of eSwatini were following their longer reigns. I never bought into the facetious commentary by my peers or elders about her being "immortal."

You need to study history and geopolitics to realize that death is inevitable? All you had to do was ask OC.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »

You need to study history and geopolitics to realize that death is inevitable? All you had to do was ask OC.

Forgive me, but ask who? I'm still relatively new here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2023, 06:22:38 AM »

Forgive me, but ask who? I'm still relatively new here.

The man, the myth, the legend, the great sage of Atlas.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »

The funniest thing was someone saying "Charles is Queen now?"
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix