Kerry faces warning signs at home.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:09:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kerry faces warning signs at home.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kerry faces warning signs at home.  (Read 2848 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:34:16 PM »

Sen. John Kerry," who recently left the door open to a Presidential bid in 2008, could have problems staying in the U.S. Senate," according to a new Suffolk University poll.
"When voters were asked whether Kerry should run for another six-year term in 2008 or if it is time to give someone else a chance, just 37% indicated that he should seek re-election while 56% said that it was time to give someone else a chance. Among political parties: 76% of Republicans, 62% of Independents, and 39% of registered Democrats said that it was time to give someone else a chance."

Said pollster David Paleologos: "This poll is showing us the early warning signs of a political storm for John Kerry."

In the presidential race, Rudy Giuliani has a 12% lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, 33% to 21%, among likely Republicans and Independents who lean Republican. Sen. John McCain is third with 18%.

On the Democratic side, Sen. Hillary Clinton leads with 32%, followed by John Edwards at 19%, Sen. Barack Obama at 18% and Al Gore at 13%.

I wonder if Kerry is going to be knocked out in the primaries or if the Republicans could come up with someone good enough to run.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2007, 08:08:17 PM by SoFA Gabu »

I wonder if Kerry is going to be knocked out in the primaries

Unlikely, given that only 39% of Democrats agreed that he should not run again.  Republicans' opinions do not matter very much in Democratic primaries.

or if the Republicans could come up with someone good enough to run.

When pigs fly.  He's a senator from Massachusetts, and his approval rating is still above 50%.  Who on Earth would the Republicans even run against him?  He didn't even get an opponent in 2002, and the Republicans at least controlled the governor's mansion in Massachusetts at that time.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »

Kerry is plain scum however he's going to have that seat for as along as he wants it.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:23:49 PM »

Why do Republicans hate Kerry? He's a centrist, and the best you're going to get out of Massachusetts. I'd like to see him replaced by a more left-wing Democrat, too, but the seat is safe.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »

Why do Republicans hate Kerry? He's a centrist, and the best you're going to get out of Massachusetts. I'd like to see him replaced by a more left-wing Democrat, too, but the seat is safe.
Indeed. Massachusetts is one of the sure fire places where we can get a strong liberal voices in the senate, and we have John Kerry. Im not saying he's a terrible senator, but there are certainly better choices in Massachusetts. Anyway, as far as the topic, he isn't going anywhere and everyone knows it, but I love his optimism in his firm and honest belief that he could actually win the Dem primaries if he ran.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »

Sen. John Kerry," who recently left the door open to a Presidential bid in 2008, could have problems staying in the U.S. Senate," according to a new Suffolk University poll.
"When voters were asked whether Kerry should run for another six-year term in 2008 or if it is time to give someone else a chance, just 37% indicated that he should seek re-election while 56% said that it was time to give someone else a chance. Among political parties: 76% of Republicans, 62% of Independents, and 39% of registered Democrats said that it was time to give someone else a chance."

Said pollster David Paleologos: "This poll is showing us the early warning signs of a political storm for John Kerry."

In the presidential race, Rudy Giuliani has a 12% lead over former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, 33% to 21%, among likely Republicans and Independents who lean Republican. Sen. John McCain is third with 18%.

On the Democratic side, Sen. Hillary Clinton leads with 32%, followed by John Edwards at 19%, Sen. Barack Obama at 18% and Al Gore at 13%.

I wonder if Kerry is going to be knocked out in the primaries or if the Republicans could come up with someone good enough to run.

Ha, a Republican winning a Senate seat is like a Democrat winning one in Utah.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »

Who on Earth would the Republicans even run against him? 

Kerry Healey might be a good choice. Then it would be a Kerry v. Kerrey race. I predict Kerry would win 57-41.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:13:38 PM »

Kerry Healey might be a good choice. Then it would be a Kerry v. Kerrey race. I predict Kerry would win 57-41.

Yeah, someone who lost by 20 points to someone more liberal than Kerry would be an EXCELLENT choice.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »

no way kerry loses.

i know the libs are mad at him currently.  but they will kiss and make up.

if kerry should get a primary challenge, expect kennedy to campaign hard for kerry.

i dont like the s.o.b.  and will not vote for him.  i voted for kennedy, but i would never vote for kerry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:16:04 PM »

i know the libs are mad at him currently.

Wrong. He's still popular on DU.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »

Yeah, someone who lost by 20 points to someone more liberal than Kerry would be an EXCELLENT choice.

do you have any better suggestions?
RBH

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »

Kerry 66
That guy who made up stuff about himself on this forum 23
Libertarian 11
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »

That guy who made up stuff about himself on this forum

And who would that be?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »

That guy who made up stuff about himself on this forum

And who would that be?

Joel Mahoney.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:14:32 PM »

Zing!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »

do you have any better suggestions?

who cares? It matters as much as who runs against Ted Stevens.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »

The last time I checked Kerry's approval rating was something like 47-48 with 48 percent disapproving, A Democrat could knock Kerry off in the primaries, However as we know this race leans Democratic for the general.         
RBH

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »

More like Joel MaPhony!

Ha ha!

*poses for the crowd*
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »

The last time I checked Kerry's approval rating was something like 47-48 with 48 percent disapproving,

Wow, those ratings are HORRIBLE. Roll Eyes

They certainly aren't great, but for a Democrat in Massachussetts are hardly dangerous. Conrad Burns had far worse ratings and still lost by only a point. Bob Menendez had worse ratings. Those ratings don't matter when the best you have is someone who lost by 20 points to someone more liberal than Kerry.

A Democrat could knock Kerry off in the primaries,

Why? Kerry's approval ratings among Democrats are still fine. Plus who's going to run against him? And incumbents only lose if there's a massive movement against them, either from the establishment (Bob Smith) or grassroots (Joe Lieberman). Neither one is going to go after Kerry. And note that with all things considered and everything the Democrats had against him, Lieberman still got over 48% in the primary. Kerry is NOT going to do worse than Lieberman.

However as we know this race leans Democratic for the general.

"Lean Democrat" is more than a bit of an understatement.

Kerry is not going anywhere. PERIOD.
RBH

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »

Unless an self-financing Independent Democrat somehow beats Kerry in the General Election.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »

The last time I checked Kerry's approval rating was something like 47-48 with 48 percent disapproving,

They certainly aren't great, but for a Democrat in Massachussetts are hardly dangerous. Conrad Burns had far worse ratings and still lost by only a point. Bob Menendez had worse ratings. Those ratings don't matter when the best you have is someone who lost by 20 points to someone more liberal than Kerry.

Why? Kerry's approval ratings among Democrats are still fine. Plus who's going to run against him? And incumbents only lose if there's a massive movement against them, either from the establishment (Bob Smith) or grassroots (Joe Lieberman). Neither one is going to go after Kerry. And note that with all things considered and everything the Democrats had against him, Lieberman still got over 48% in the primary. Kerry is NOT going to do worse than Lieberman.

Still having a 39% approval rating among members of your own party is not good. Also have a 47-48% approval rating is not good for a Democratic Senator from the Nations's most Democratic state.   
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »

Kerry might be vulnerable to a primary challenge (and let me say I hope he gets primaried) but Massachusetts simply won't send a republican to the senate, just like Utah won't send a democrat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »

Still having a 39% approval rating among members of your own party is not good. Also have a 47-48% approval rating is not good for a Democratic Senator from the Nations's most Democratic state.   

No it's not good. But it's not enough to result in someone losign.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 12:11:23 PM »

Huh?  According to the poll you provided, the 39% is the number of Democrats who don't think he should run for re-election.  That means that 61% of Democrats either are fine with him running for re-election or don't care one way or another.

You don't knock someone off in a primary with only 39% of people not wanting that person to run.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »

kerry is safe.

no way hed lose a primary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length