When will the next Republican be able to win Cuyahoga County?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:12:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  When will the next Republican be able to win Cuyahoga County?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will the next Republican be able to win Cuyahoga County?  (Read 1085 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2023, 10:40:19 PM »

The last time a Republican won Cuyahoga County in a statewide race was the 2014 Ohio Gubernatorial Election. DeWine could not accomplish this in 2018 or 2022 (although he did in 2000), and neither could Rob Portman or J.D. Vance. Will a Republican ever be able to win Cuyahoga County, and if so, when?
TwinGeeks99
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 11:08:21 PM »

Not for the foreseeable future given current coalitions.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »

Not for the foreseeable future given current coalitions.

Ye. Even if it has slowly drifted right, it's still a county Democrats reliably get over 60% of the vote; even in recent GOP landslides like 2022 OH Gov DeWine still lost by well over 10%.

The fact is Cuyahoga County is home to a pretty large city (Cleveland), has a notable black population, is northern, and has no distinct cultural reason that'd make it abnormally R like Miami.

The reason it voted R in 2014 was because things were generally a lot less polarized, especially in Cleveland's whiter suburbs. Even though some of Cleveland's white suburbs have shifted right since the Obama years, I'd still argue Dems have gained a higher floor.
Dave Hedgehog
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 11:57:46 AM »

When the state as a whole votes R by a West Virginia-like 30+-point margin. Can't see that happening under any circumstances (presidentially at least).
Rjjr77
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 07:38:08 PM »

The last time a Republican won Cuyahoga County in a statewide race was the 2014 Ohio Gubernatorial Election. DeWine could not accomplish this in 2018 or 2022 (although he did in 2000), and neither could Rob Portman or J.D. Vance. Will a Republican ever be able to win Cuyahoga County, and if so, when?

It could happen again if another 2014 type situation happens again where the democratic candidate just implodes
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 08:26:11 PM »

A bit off topic, but I find it hilarious that Kasich lost Monroe county despite his landslide win despite Romney even carrying it in 2012 while losing the state. What happened?
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 08:30:14 PM »

A bit off topic, but I find it hilarious that Kasich lost Monroe county despite his landslide win despite Romney even carrying it in 2012 while losing the state. What happened?

Appalachian Ohio was VERY Democratic in statewide races back in those days. It was Ted Strickland's strongest region in 2006 and 2010.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 09:02:42 PM »

Believe it was about a specific plant closure.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 09:59:11 PM »

Appalachian Ohio was VERY Democratic in statewide races back in those days. It was Ted Strickland's strongest region in 2006 and 2010.

It helped that he had represented the region in Congress
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 06:27:27 PM »

2102 Ohio Gubernatorial
Rjjr77
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 06:41:05 PM »

Ormet aluminum plant asked for a waiver from the state Public Utilities Commission, didnt get the full waiver from Kasich's admin. It closed, 1,000 jobs left
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »

The next Republican governor running for reelection. The brain drain out of Ohio is accelerating, and while I don't blame people for wanting to make the best decisions for themselves and their families, it does increase the odds of a national abortion ban.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 05:19:38 PM »

Never
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »

This is the most coherence I have seen from olawakandi in a while.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2023, 08:55:03 PM »

Yes, and he's correct!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 04:07:07 PM »

It helped that he had represented the region in Congress

This is the area my adult boys and their kids live in, and where I will be retiring to in a few years.  Strickland is from that area; he is something of a family friend in that he is friends with one of my son's in-laws.  And much of that area has some Democratic roots; it's more of a Border State feel than a Midwestern State feel in that area.

But it's an area that has been abandoned by the Democrats, thanks to their war on coal, and their lack of concern for the conservative WWC (even when they are union members).  It's the ultimate in Trump country, and it's realignment to mega-Republican from a lean-Republican area is one reason Ohio is, at present, out of reach for Democrats, despite Cincinnati and Columbus shifting to the Dems.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies