Eritreans vs Anti-Eritreans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:15:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eritreans vs Anti-Eritreans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eritreans vs Anti-Eritreans  (Read 1006 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »

Live from Israel:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-03/israel-police-clash-with-eritrean-asylum-seekers/102808606

Anti-Eritrean government activists (left) clash with supporters (right) of the Eritrean government in Tel Aviv.(AP Photo: Ohad Zwigenberg)

"Eritreans from both sides faced off with construction lumber, pieces of metal, rocks and at least one axe, tearing through a neighbourhood of south Tel Aviv where many asylum seekers live."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 08:45:49 AM »

what are we supposed to do with this?
super6646
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »

This has been an issue in Canada too. In Calgary there were clashes between pro-gov and anti-gov Eritreans too.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 12:41:02 PM »

why would a pro-gov person be a refugee?...or I suppose rather, why would a refugee be pro-gov?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 01:03:45 PM »

why would a pro-gov person be a refugee?...or I suppose rather, why would a refugee be pro-gov?
They’re just tagging along with the refugees to get a better life. The cook in my local café is a pro-government Eritrean and he’s quite blatant about coming here to make money
palandio

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 03:17:04 PM »

In Germany many Eritreans arrived when Eritrea was still a part of Ethiopia and many of them support the current Eritrean government. On the other hand many more recently arrived refugees are anti-gov and some are protesting violently against events that they view as pro-gov like the Eritrea Festival in Gießen:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66145900
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 08:10:51 PM »

Yes, that point had me more confused than Hello Kitty Darth Vader.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 05:32:47 AM »

This is happening in lots of places now - I've read about cases like these in Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Norway over the past months. The Eritrean government uses these "parties" at their embassies (or other venues) to collect taxes from pro-government diaspora members, and they're keeping lists and taking names.

Solution: ban these "parties" as a threat to public order and send those who love this government so much and are ready to riot for it back to Asmara on a one-way ticket.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »

Still, why *is* Israel indulging one of Africa's very worst and most repressive dictators?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 02:48:33 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2023, 03:34:51 PM by DavidB. »

Still, why *is* Israel indulging one of Africa's very worst and most repressive dictators?
Why is Israel doing... what exactly? Allowing Eritrea to have an embassy? Your country has an Eritrean embassy too. Seems like common practice in international relations to me.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »

Because Israel prefers repressive dictators in the Middle East and broader region, as long as they’re willing to do business with Israel (even if only covertly—which in many cases is the ideal arrangement on both sides). You can’t trust the unruly pro-Palestinian rabble, after all.

Of course, democracy within Israel itself, long flawed, has been diminishing in recent years.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »

Why is Israel doing... what exactly? Allowing Eritrea to have an embassy? Your country has one too. Seems like common practice in international relations to me.

A sign that it’s a bad thing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2023, 09:38:27 PM »

I'm confused even more now, what is Israel "indulging" in with Eritrea?  Ths site suggest they have basically no trade (in the thousands), which is a fraction of Israel's trade with, lets say, Bostwana (in the millions).
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2023, 11:49:12 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2023, 11:58:25 PM by Meclazine »

Can't say I am a fan of:

(a) immigrants putting their hand out for a new life;

(b) after Australia providing them with a new life, then importing their hate and absurd slavery ethos from a "s$#@hole country".

This behaviour just spreads their disastrous social fabric onto other countries.

Having said that, I don't see any Eritrean's misbehaving in Perth. They are keeping the taxi industry alive. In fact, I will give the South Sudanese in Perth a big shout out. Great guys and girls, and work hard and chase opportunity wherever it appears. I have two good friends from South Sudan who I have promoted for employment in the mining industry, and they have been far more successful than most.

Interestingly, we get a lot of fly-in fly-out Uber drivers from Bhutan.

When you hop in an Uber, they are permantly talking to their wife back in Bhutan through WhatsApp.

So now you can press a button in the Uber app and get them to shut up. I never press it, as I feel it is oppressive in nature.

Didn't realise Germans and Swedes were putting up with this crap though.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/dozens-injured-in-riots-at-eritrean-festival-in-sweden-c-11483911

The whole idea of leaving a crap country to a Western country is to live life in freedom and prosperity.

I do feel sorry for Sweden importing so many immigrants who have turned around and basically bitten the hand that fed them.

Immigration Policy needs to include a clause called the FIFB policy. Fit in or we fly you back.

Australia has one whereby if you commit a crime with a 2 year jail sentence or higher, you automatically get deported back from whence you came.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2023, 09:16:11 PM by Meclazine »

Benny wants them out of Israel.

Eritrean Protestors

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwx--Fnvb0L/

At least one side wore red and one side were blue. Much more convenient when you are throwing bricks, rocks and sticks at each other.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 06:13:16 PM »

The only protest in Australia where you will find an Eritrean.

Taxi vs Uber

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv58kYTOOUq/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 12:43:30 AM »

Benny wants them out of Israel.

Eritrean Protestors

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwx--Fnvb0L/

At least one side wore red and one side were blue. Much more convenient when you are throwing bricks, rocks and sticks at each other.

The term "Benny" is confusing in the context of the leaders of Israeli parties.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 02:39:12 AM »

Invade Eritrea. Its not like North Korea i.e. a buffer state with a nuclear power as a sponsor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2023, 02:51:28 AM »

Invade Eritrea. Its not like North Korea i.e. a buffer state with a nuclear power as a sponsor.
lol
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2023, 03:05:39 AM »

lol

Almost as laughable as invading Taiwan or Eastern Ukraine right PSOL? Except you support that because it reinforces dictatorships, not weakens them.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2023, 05:13:37 AM »

lol

Almost as laughable as invading Taiwan or Eastern Ukraine right PSOL? Except you support that because it reinforces dictatorships, not weakens them.
Citation needed

Somehow invading the tenth best military in Africa and further destabilizing the Horn does not seem like it could lead to great prospects. For one the Eritrean opposition is practically nonexistent inside the country and a disorganized mess outside, I don’t see how western intervention would do any good.

Some of you need to get your senses checked, relying on hammers only isn’t effective.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2023, 07:52:42 AM »

lol

Citation needed

Somehow invading the tenth best military in Africa

How good is that actually, though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2023, 08:02:31 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2023, 08:06:36 AM by The Silence »

I can't believe there's so many pro-government Eritreans.

They have to be absolute and deranged sociopaths. That's like even worse than being a pro-government Venezuelan. These countries indeed should be sending them back to the place they love so much. Reminds me of that Trump supporter who fled to Belarus.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2023, 08:39:34 AM »

If we could easily invade Eritrea without consequence, I’m guessing we would have done so already.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 09:07:30 AM »

I nominate this for The Most Atlas Thread of the Year award.  It won't win, but it will make for good competition.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies