FT 29.4 - Nā Lāhui ʻOiwi Act (DEBATING)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:47:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 29.4 - Nā Lāhui ʻOiwi Act (DEBATING)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 29.4 - Nā Lāhui ʻOiwi Act (DEBATING)  (Read 614 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2023, 08:22:09 PM »
« edited: September 03, 2023, 01:49:15 AM by KoopaDaQuick »

A BILL FOR AN ACT
officially recognizing indigenous nations; guaranteeing their human, civil, political and economic rights; and establishing an Office of Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLES OF FRÉMONT ASSEMBLED.

SECTION 1. Title

i. This act shall be known as the "Nā Lāhui ʻOiwi Act".

SECTION 2. Official Recognition

i. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont hereby recognizes the indigenous nation of Hawaiʻi, hereinafter "ka lāhui Hawaiʻi," as well as the indigenous nation of Winnemem Wintu, as official Indigenous Nations of Atlasia and of Frémont in accordance with the Constitution of Atlasia.

ii. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall include ka lāhui Hawaiʻi and the Winnemem Wintu nation as eligible recipients for all programs and funds which the Commonwealth of Frémont allocates for indigenous nations or which the Federal Government of Atlasia delegates to the Commonwealth to be allocated to federally-recognized indigenous nations.

iii. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall also officially recognize as Indigenous Nations of Atlasia and of Frémont all indigenous nations which were historically recognized by the United States at any point through treaties and government-to-government relations, notwithstanding their nonrecognition by the Office of Federal Acknowledgement.

iv. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont calls upon the Federal Government of Atlasia to officially recognize ka lāhui Hawaiʻi, the Winnemem Wintu nation and all currently unrecognized indigenous nations, particularly those historically recognized by the United States.

SECTION 3. Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations

i. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall establish an Office of Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations. The Office shall be tasked with gathering public testimony from the indigenous peoples who are the traditional and rightful stewards of the lands in what is now the legal jurisdiction of Frémont in order to:
  • document indigenous historical memory;
  • infuse the official record of settler-indigenous encounters as previously and presently declared by the government with the truth as experienced by indigenous peoples;
  • develop curriculum recommendations for Frémont public schools which critically addresses the history and legacy of settler colonialism in Frémont, including the role of John C. Frémont in the California Genocide against the Wintun, Klamath and other indigenous peoples of the Pacific Coast and the Cascades;
  • foster a genuine movement towards reconciliation between settlers and indigenous people that acknowledges rather than sidesteps the violence and trauma of settler colonialism;
  • issue policy recommendations to improve the material and socioeconomic conditions of indigenous peoples, protect the sacred lands, waters and resources of indigenous peoples from desecration and pollution, defend and expand indigenous political sovereignty and develop genuine government-to-government relationships between the Commonwealth of Frémont and indigenous nations; and,
  • under the leadership of indigenous elders and with the robust public input of indigenous communities, chart a path towards reparations for the genocide, dispossession, displacement and other crimes against humanity committed by Frémont and its respective state and local governments against indigenous peoples.

ii. The Office of Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations established in the above section shall be allocated $5 million dollars for its first year of operation and then $2 million annually thereafter.

iii. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall, on the advice of the Office of Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations and indigenous experts, establish a museum in Denver on indigenous history, resistance, resilience and culture in the face of state violence, genocide, treaty violations and desecration of their lands and waters. The museum will not only acknowledge the past but amplify the voices of indigenous peoples actively involved in present struggles and those who are to come in future generations. $50 million over a period of five years will be allocated to this project.

iv. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall also offer $5 million each to the Winnemem Wintu nation, the Cachil DeHe Wintun nation and the Klamath nation for the construction of memorials to the lives lost during the genocidal campaign of John C. Frémont and the resistance and ongoing struggles of these indigenous nations for the protection of their rights, sovereignty, lands, water, salmon, cultural practices and livelihood.

v. The Government of the Commonwealth of Frémont calls upon the Federal Government of Atlasia to establish a federal Office of Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations similar to the one outlined in this section to address the country's long and continuing history of treaty violations, genocide, state violence, dispossession, cultural erasure and other crimes against humanity in its murderous relations with indigenous peoples.

SECTION 4. Implementation and Cost

i. This legislation shall take effect immediately.

ii. This legislation allocates a total of $30 million in its first year of implementation, $12 million annually for the next four years and $2 million annually after the conclusion of five years.

Sponsor: ReallySuper of Hawai'i
Occupying Slot C

The sponsor is hereby invited to advocate for this bill.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 12:14:26 PM »

For a more comprehensive explanation of the bill, please see my original comments on it last session. However, it is basically an attempt to get the ball rolling on restoring extremely basic and fundamental rights to the indigenous nations whom Frémont has treated with complete disrespect and lack of human dignity since its founding. This is obviously just the beginning of colonialist deconstruction, but it is at least a beginning, finally.

I genuinely welcome your critical feedback and opinions, questions, concerns, comments, etc. on this bill.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 01:48:47 PM »

At first I thought this bill was a little radical, but after reading the fine print, it seems pretty reasonable to me. The Navajo, Sioux, and other indigenous groups have certain rights and protections, and I don't mind Hawai'ians having those rights, too. Ditto with the Winnemem Wintu. I'm not entirely sure if there's anything I want to change right now, but this looks like something I could support.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 05:01:23 PM »

Motioning for a final vote on this given there hasn't been any discussion for over a week and we haven't passed nearly enough communist bills yet this session
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 07:02:27 AM »

My apologies for not noticing the member's motion 'til now.

24 hours to object.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 08:31:51 PM »

sorry for da wait, vote starts now

aye
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 08:34:11 PM »

ʻae
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 08:59:36 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 12:50:33 AM »

Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 04:49:22 PM »

Nay
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 05:06:25 PM »

it passes Smiley
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 05:14:06 PM »

x theflyingmongoose
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 11:27:20 PM »

Strongly condemning the passage of this communist legislation.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 03:55:24 AM »

Strongly condemning the passage of this communist legislation.

That sucks
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 05:22:19 AM »

I strongly support the passage of this legislation. Thanks for your great work.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies