Who wins the PA Supreme Court race in 2023?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:09:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who wins the PA Supreme Court race in 2023?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins the PA Supreme Court race in 2023?
Daniel McCaffrey (D)

Carolyn Carluccio (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Who wins the PA Supreme Court race in 2023?  (Read 855 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »

Who wins the Pennsylvania Supreme Court race in 2023?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 11:22:44 AM »

For some reason, the PA dems are the polar opposites of the Wisconsin dems when it comes to winning judicial races, so I’m not getting my hopes up.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 11:23:23 AM »

See Wisconsin for your answer.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 11:26:10 AM »

The democrats because there is the philadelphia Mayoral race
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 11:29:11 AM »

For some reason, the PA dems are the polar opposites of the Wisconsin dems when it comes to winning judicial races, so I’m not getting my hopes up.

You do know they have a majority, right?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 11:38:12 AM »

You do know they have a majority, right?

2015 was a slam dunk, but we’ve been losing statewide judicial races ever since.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 11:40:47 AM »

Carluccio is a "good" candidate (comes from quite left-wing suburban areas, beat Trumpy types in the primary surprisingly comfortably) and PA Democrats have kind of a bad record at these, most recently in 2021. I'll say Carluccio, but I don't think we've had one of these post-Dobbs and my feel for what the environment is is not very good. In MI/WI, Democrats running for the Supreme Court have run double-digits ahead of Democrats running for other positions.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 11:51:08 AM »

Carluccio is a "good" candidate (comes from quite left-wing suburban areas, beat Trumpy types in the primary surprisingly comfortably) and PA Democrats have kind of a bad record at these, most recently in 2021. I'll say Carluccio, but I don't think we've had one of these post-Dobbs and my feel for what the environment is is not very good. In MI/WI, Democrats running for the Supreme Court have run double-digits ahead of Democrats running for other positions.

Brobson won by the skin of his teeth on Democrats’ worst electoral night nationally since Trump was elected, thanks to strong overperformances in the Philly collar counties. He won Bucks, lost Chester by single digits, nearly hit 40 in Montgomery, and even came within 11 points of winning Delaware. If Carluccio does even slightly worse than Brobson here, she’s done.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 12:27:03 PM »

Yes.  Have Democrats ever lost a Supreme Court race (excluding retention elections) in PA in a year that coincided with the Philly Mayoral race? 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »

Yes, they had one banner year and blew everything else.  Only, in this case, the one banner year was enough to give them control since there were so many vacancies at once. 

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 01:22:49 PM »

Yes, they had one banner year and blew everything else.  Only, in this case, the one banner year was enough to give them control since there were so many vacancies at once. 

They blew an election in what was a horrible night for Democrats nationwide.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 01:42:28 PM »

Brobson won by the skin of his teeth on Democrats’ worst electoral night nationally since Trump was elected, thanks to strong overperformances in the Philly collar counties. He won Bucks, lost Chester by single digits, nearly hit 40 in Montgomery, and even came within 11 points of winning Delaware. If Carluccio does even slightly worse than Brobson here, she’s done.

In 2017 -- so approximately at the least popular moment of Trump's Presidency -- a candidate with a background much like Carluccio's came within a point of winning Chester and Delaware (and the environment in 2017 was definitely worse for the GOP than it is now). And no, she was not an incumbent. A lot of the PA down-ballot stuff is just realigning incredibly slowly, and the state party generally has a lot of problems.

The real question mark, though, is that all of this stuff was pre-Dobbs.

(Note that the 2017 race was only a 4-point Republican victory, and Brobson won by only 1 point -- because in addition to this stuff there's still lots of leftover rural Democratic support that's been long gone in races that aren't judicial.)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 02:06:55 PM »

In 2017 -- so approximately at the least popular moment of Trump's Presidency -- a candidate with a background much like Carluccio's came within a point of winning Chester and Delaware (and the environment in 2017 was definitely worse for the GOP than it is now). And no, she was not an incumbent. A lot of the PA down-ballot stuff is just realigning incredibly slowly, and the state party generally has a lot of problems.

(Note that the 2017 race was only a 4-point Republican victory, and Brobson won by only 1 point -- because in addition to this stuff there's still lots of leftover rural Democratic support that's been long gone in races that aren't judicial.)

Mundy actually was an appointed incumbent in that race. And 2017 was a less polarized era than 2021 was and 2023 will be. Otherwise Brobson would have won by more than Mundy did because of the national environment.

Also the PA Democrats aren’t the party that’s in trouble in the state, otherwise we’d have Senator Oz and Governor Mastriano.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »

Had there been a mayoral race in Philly and the associated higher turnout there, Dems almost certainly would have won that race.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 03:07:00 PM »

So looking at some of these outright atrocious SEPA margins, how exactly do Democrats avoid getting destroyed by 10 pts statewide? Is there a massive crash in rural turnout to offset their disastrous Southeast margins?
Duke of York

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 03:30:37 PM »

I second this. When Philadelphia has its municipal elections Democrats tend to do well in judicial elections.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 06:40:22 PM »

Mundy actually was an appointed incumbent in that race. And 2017 was a less polarized era than 2021 was and 2023 will be. Otherwise Brobson would have won by more than Mundy did because of the national environment.

Also the PA Democrats aren’t the party that’s in trouble in the state, otherwise we’d have Senator Oz and Governor Mastriano.

Kind of fair, but in general Democrats are much more reliant on organized efforts to keep up turnout than Republicans are, and so they seem more vulnerable to 'the state party here is very bad'. These organizations can sometimes be built in a short period of time (consider GA 2016/2018/2020), but they can also pretty quickly collapse if neglected (consider NV between 2012 and 2014, or FL over the past few cycles).

I second this. When Philadelphia has its municipal elections Democrats tend to do well in judicial elections.

Yeah, this is a fair point.

So looking at some of these outright atrocious SEPA margins, how exactly do Democrats avoid getting destroyed by 10 pts statewide? Is there a massive crash in rural turnout to offset their disastrous Southeast margins?

Yeah, a big part of the answer is that turnout in these is very disproportionately SEPA and suburban (which is part of how Republicans can get away with being fairly "moderate" and not losing a lot elsewhere). Obviously in a presidential/gubernatorial/Senatorial election Pennsylvania at R+4 and DelCo at D+1 would not coincide.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 08:18:26 PM »

Kind of fair, but in general Democrats are much more reliant on organized efforts to keep up turnout than Republicans are, and so they seem more vulnerable to 'the state party here is very bad'. These organizations can sometimes be built in a short period of time (consider GA 2016/2018/2020), but they can also pretty quickly collapse if neglected (consider NV between 2012 and 2014, or FL over the past few cycles).

Yeah, this is a fair point.

Yeah, a big part of the answer is that turnout in these is very disproportionately SEPA and suburban (which is part of how Republicans can get away with being fairly "moderate" and not losing a lot elsewhere). Obviously in a presidential/gubernatorial/Senatorial election Pennsylvania at R+4 and DelCo at D+1 would not coincide.

The Philly mayoral race will be a huge asset for McCaffery here. In 2019, Kenney won by nearly 180,000 votes. For comparison, Woodruff only netted 120,000 out of Philly in 2017, and McLaughlin won the city by 140,000 votes. Substituting the Philly numbers in the two court races with those of the mayoral race slash Woodruff's 90k deficit in half, and actually would have had McLaughlin squeak it out by 13,000 votes.

Obviously the big thing to watch is the Philly collar. Will this be the cycle the bottom falls out for judicial Republicans and results start to converge with standard presidential partisanship?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2023, 07:00:40 PM »

People who talk about 2017 need to make sure they have their faces straight. Mundy was essentially an incumbent, because she was appointed by Wolf (D) - so she had his blessings of sorts, which basically gave a lot of D-leaning folks permission to be okay with her. Also, as we saw with Pat Toomey, 2016-2017 of the PA suburbs is quite different than the 2023 PA suburbs. An R candidate would never be getting his margins now in most of the collar counties.

Also, anyone talking about 2021.... as some have stated, 2021 was actually contextually speaking not bad at all for Dems. Of course in totality we still lost the race, but the fact that Brobson only won by <1% in a terrible environment for Dems showed Dems strength imo.

Carluccio is already getting hammered for her abortion stances (that have been removed from her website) and being bankrolled by pro-life groups.

And yes, Philly's mayoral election will certainly help. But the collar counties should help too; I posted in the May 2023 primary thread but turnout was much better for Dems in places like Montgomery than it was for Reps, when usually (recently) its been closer to equal.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »

People who talk about 2017 need to make sure they have their faces straight. Mundy was essentially an incumbent, because she was appointed by Wolf (D) - so she had his blessings of sorts, which basically gave a lot of D-leaning folks permission to be okay with her. Also, as we saw with Pat Toomey, 2016-2017 of the PA suburbs is quite different than the 2023 PA suburbs. An R candidate would never be getting his margins now in most of the collar counties.

Also, anyone talking about 2021.... as some have stated, 2021 was actually contextually speaking not bad at all for Dems. Of course in totality we still lost the race, but the fact that Brobson only won by <1% in a terrible environment for Dems showed Dems strength imo.

Carluccio is already getting hammered for her abortion stances (that have been removed from her website) and being bankrolled by pro-life groups.

And yes, Philly's mayoral election will certainly help. But the collar counties should help too; I posted in the May 2023 primary thread but turnout was much better for Dems in places like Montgomery than it was for Reps, when usually (recently) its been closer to equal.

Ye, these were my thoughts as well. Only losing by 1% in a disasterous year for Dems is telling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies