Is VA Tech to blame
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 03:54:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is VA Tech to blame
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is VA Tech to blame  (Read 2193 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »

NO!  They made a mistake - and retrospectively - it was a BIG one - but if we shut stuff down everytime a gun went off - nothing would run.  They thought he left - and made a mistake.  Looking back at 9/11 - a lot of mistakes were made - but we just weren't expecting it.

And look what happens when we stop something - like the Imams - we stop a possible attack and people get all "VIOLATION OF RIGHTS!" - you can't please everybody.

I just hope nobody sues over this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »

The problem that always comes with examining any given case is that the next case is bound to be different, so making all the preparations to prevent that singular issue may or may not help with others.  The next school that gets hit is bound not to be Virginia Tech.

I'd say that an investigation should still occur, just to make absolutely sure there wasn't some sort of gross negligence or whatever that until now has gone unreported, but I think it's fairly clear that the person to blame is none other than the guy with the guns.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:53:44 PM »

No, the administration and the police did what they could.  At the time, there was nothing to indicate that he would have gone on and assaulted the classrooms.  And in fact, I am upset with those that think "locking down" the kids in the classrooms was wrong.  What were they suppose to do?  Sent the kids back to the dorms where a possible murder was running loose?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »

Funny how some people here will instantly rush to the defense of Authority.
Anyways... no. Some nutcase with guns was. Obviously. Maybe some of the deaths could have been prevented, but not all of them (at least not by the uni).
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:50:01 AM »

I think they did the best they could with the information they had at the time. Obviously it's easy to second guess after the fact, but it was handled as well as can be expected.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »

Funny how some people here will instantly rush to the defense of Authority.

I don't necessarily understand what you are trying to say here.

Anyways, no, VT is a rather large school, nearly 30k individuals. Shutting the whole school down would be as possible as shutting my whole town down (30k) for a double murder.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:38:05 AM »

I don't necessarily understand what you are trying to say here.

Just an observation of something that a lot of younger Republicans here seem to do. That's all.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »

Yes. They are to blame for banning guns in their campus and leaving students defenseless against that mad man.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 08:05:03 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2007, 08:06:42 AM by MODU »

Yes. They are to blame for banning guns in their campus and leaving students defenseless against that mad man.

Uhhhh . . . ok?  The last place I would want to be is in a hormonally charged closed society with a bunch of binge-drinking gun-toting college kids.  Besides, unlike a lot of schools, VA Tech has its own police force (as in real police, not rent-a-cops).  Anyway, most schools that I am aware of are gun-free zones, including your service academies.  And since students choose to attend these institutions, then the issue of gun possession isn’t a big concern on their list. 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:28:38 AM »

Uhhhh . . . ok?  The last place I would want to be is in a hormonally charged closed society with a bunch of binge-drinking gun-toting college kids.  Besides, unlike a lot of schools, VA Tech has its own police force (as in real police, not rent-a-cops).  Anyway, most schools that I am aware of are gun-free zones, including your service academies.  And since students choose to attend these institutions, then the issue of gun possession isn’t a big concern on their list. 

If these "binge-drinking [...] college kids" were licensed to carry by the State of Virginia, I don't see why it should be illegal for them to carry in the campus. In fact, pro-gun forces just last year tried to get the Virginia legislature to address the problem. The bill to allow permit holders to carry on state-supported college campuses died, due in no small part to rabid opposition from Virginia Tech itself. VT spokesman Larry Hincker put it this way after it became obvious that the bill would not pass: "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." Yea Larry, real safe, isn't it.

The irony continues to mount when one recalls that not long ago, two students at nearby Appalachian School of Law managed to stop a gunman at that institution. Fortunately, they were able to run off-campus to retrieve their guns from their vehicles.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 02:40:30 AM »

Both VA Teck and the larger society is to blame for pushing this fellow into the corner he mentions in his video.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »

Both VA Teck and the larger society is to blame for pushing this fellow into the corner he mentions in his video.

OK - this sicko kid did this to himself.  This politically correct stuff is stupid.

Don't blame society - he's a psycho - lock him up.
People are fat, not "big-boned."
People are retarded, not "mentally challenged."
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:41:55 PM »

uhhhh
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:15 PM »

I get tired of people trying to raise self esteem and stuff - all growing up people were known as retarded - and I get mad when people say "that's retarded - it makes fun of people."  And whenever I say it - I get corrected with "mentally challenged."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2007, 09:07:55 PM by SoFA Gabu »

I get tired of people trying to raise self esteem and stuff - all growing up people were known as retarded - and I get mad when people say "that's retarded - it makes fun of people."  And whenever I say it - I get corrected with "mentally challenged."

So you think that people who are born mentally deficient should just buck up and pull themselves up by the bootstraps?

Do you think that black people should be called "ns" because calling them something else would be politically correct?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »

In that case, that isn't the most misguided thing I've read all day.

It's the dumbest f**king thing I've read all day.

Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »

What the hell is wrong with you?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 02:15:46 AM »

Maybe he's retarded. Shocked
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 07:09:13 AM »

No, he's "mentally challenged!"  Sheesh, get it right.
nlm
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »

Blame for what?

Cho is to blame for killing the folks on the VA Tech campus.

VA Tech needs to address their own response to what happened - but that is very different than saying they are to blame for the slaugther. If it was one of my kids that gunned down, I'm sure I'd want a very lengthy explaination of why the situation was addressed as it was.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »

Blame for what?

VA Tech needs to address their own response to what happened - but that is very different than saying they are to blame for the slaugther. If it was one of my kids that gunned down, I'm sure I'd want a very lengthy explaination of why the situation was addressed as it was.

Yes, but the thing is, a double homicide would have tied up most "small town" police departments, whether it be a college or my town. My town, plant city, is approximately the same size as VT and I'd imagine if a double murder occured on one side of town, no one, and I repeat no one would expect the killer(s) to go across town and shoot up a grocery store/shopping plaza, etc. This is just one of those extraordinary events that no real good answer can solve.
nlm
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 12:21:17 PM »

Blame for what?

Yes, but the thing is, a double homicide would have tied up most "small town" police departments, whether it be a college or my town. My town, plant city, is approximately the same size as VT and I'd imagine if a double murder occured on one side of town, no one, and I repeat no one would expect the killer(s) to go across town and shoot up a grocery store/shopping plaza, etc. This is just one of those extraordinary events that no real good answer can solve.

That's true States - but that shouldn't stop the parents from getting an explaination they can understand or demanding a policy change to security, they are entitled to their opinions after all. I'm not saying that VA Tech screwed up terribly (I don't know enough to say one way or the other) with their response - but they are accountable for their response.
nlm
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

The last place I would want to be is in a hormonally charged closed society with a bunch of binge-drinking gun-toting college kids. 

How true, how true. College kids are often managing (or more likely not managing in any way, shape or form) stress for the first time in their lives. Substance abuse, eating disorders and depression are common place at colleges across the country. Arming a bunch of kids learning about life and how to deal with it is just asking for things like the VA Tech slaughter to become common place as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 11:19:45 AM »

OK - this sicko kid did this to himself.  This politically correct stuff is stupid.

Don't blame society - he's a psycho - lock him up.
People are fat, not "big-boned."
People are retarded, not "mentally challenged."

There is nothing 'politically correct' about my analysis, Inks.  In fact recognizing that we are entirely social animals is not at all de rigeur at the moment. 

How is the fellow 'psycho'?  He didn't like something, and he did something about it.  Certainly few of us are sufficiently dissatisfied with our existence to do the same, but who are we to judge his choice?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies