Legalization of Prostitution Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Legalization of Prostitution Bill  (Read 4657 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »

Section 1: Applicability
1. This law shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any Region.

Section 2: Findings
1. The criminalization of consensual sex in which money is paid for participation in the sex act is a violation of civil liberties.
2. The regulation of legalized brothels will allow for an increase in public safety by mandating tests and protections against sexually transmitted infections.

Section 3: Legalization of Prostitution
1. No law shall exist criminalizing the act of paying for participation in a sex act.
2. All prostitutes must be 18 or older, and must sign a legal statement that their actions are voluntary.
3. Anyone engaging in the services of a prostitute must be 18 or older.

Section 4: Limitations
1. No establishment where more than 3 prostitutes conduct their transactions with clients, nor one that is newly established in a non-residential structure, shall be permitted to be established within 200 yards of a public school.
2. Local governments shall have the right to regulate the prostitution industry, including for health and safety purposes. Such regulations may include, but are not limited to:
    - Requiring use of a registered location while engaging in business (i.e. forbidding 'street work');
    - Requiring mandatory drug and venereal disease tests;
    - Mandating use of contraceptive devices during business activities;
    - Implementing limits on prostitution stricter then those specified in Sections 1 to 3 of this act.
3. Where no local regulations exist as per Clause 2, the following regulations shall be followed:
    - Female prostitutes engaging in sexual intercourse with a male customer will be required to either use pregnancy-prevention contraceptives (including birth control, a condom, or a diaphragm) or sign a legal document beforehand waiving the right to seek child support from the customer.
    - Female customers engaging in sexual intercourse with a male prostitute will be required to either use pregnancy-prevention contraceptives (including birth control, a condom, or a diaphragm) or sign a legal document beforehand waiving the right to seek child support from the prostitute.
    - All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during any sexual activity, unless both the customer and the prostitute sign a legal statement waiving any right to legal action if a venereal disease is transmitted through the act.
    - Prostitutes shall be required to obtain testing for venereal diseases, including HIV, once a month. If a venereal disease is detected, the prostitute is forbidden from seeing further customers, until and unless the disease is no longer present or is in a noncommunicable stage.
4. The government shall have the right to tax the services given by the prostitution industry in applicable areas.

Sponsor: The President pro tempore
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:44:58 AM »

I'm having numerous quibbles with this bill, which I am hereby introducing as seperate amendments:

2. All prostitutes must be 18 or older, and must sign a legal statement that their actions are voluntary.
Such a statement is easily procurable from persons whose actions are not in fact voluntary, and I move that the part after the comma be struck.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I move that this clause be struck completely.

Ditto. Totally pointless.

That could be anything. I'm introducing an amendment to strike this line, although I'm prepared to vote affirmative on a clearer but similar provision, depending on what, exactly, it contains.

Should be amended to:
- All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:07:57 AM »

Okay, we are voting on the following set of amendments:

To strike Section 3, Clause 2
To strike Section 3, Clause 3
To strike Section 4, Clause 1
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse."

To strike Section 3, Clause 2: Aye
To strike Section 3, Clause 3: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 1: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 ...: Aye
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »

Abstain to everything
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »

Aye to all.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »

To strike Section 3, Clause 3: Nay

Abstain on the rest
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

To strike Section 3, Clause 3: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 1: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4: Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse.": Abstain
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:25:31 PM »

To strike Section 3, Clause 2 - Aye
To strike Section 3, Clause 3 - Nay
To strike Section 4, Clause 1 - Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4 - Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse." - Aye
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:13:34 PM »

To strike Section 3, Clause 2 Nay unless motion 2 passes in which case Aye.  I see no reason for a prostitute and a client of the same age to have different levels of legality concerning the business.  I do favor keeping the age requirement but also dropping the needless additional piece of paper, so  if clause 3 is kept, I'll introduce an amendment.
To strike Section 3, Clause 3 Nay
To strike Section 4, Clause 1 Nay
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4 Aye
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse." Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »

If Section 3 Clause 3 is not struck, I offer the following amendment.

Strike Section 3, Clause 2, and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to be age 18 or older.  Being forced against the prostitute's will by another person to engage in prostitution shall constitute an affirmative defense against any penalty under this clause.  The validity of such defense shall be determined by the trier of fact and shall be decided on the basis of the preponderance of the evidence."

Basically, the first sentence gives the prostitute and the client the same age requirement. The second sentence excludes the prostitute from judgment that if the prostitute shows that it was not his or her free choice to engage in underage prostitution.  The third requires only a preponderance of evidence for the jury (or judge if there is no jury trial) to find her not guilty by reason of being forced into the activity, not the higher beyond a reasonable doubt standard that would be required to convict the slimebag who forcibly pimped the prostitute of that crime.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

Aye to all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 10:39:37 AM »

To strike Section 3, Clause 2: Nay
To strike Section 3, Clause 3: Abstain
To strike Section 4, Clause 1: Abstain
To strike Section 4, Clause 2, Point 4: Abstain
To strike Section 4, Clause 3, Points 1-3 and replace it with "All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse.": Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:31 AM »

I believe this is a regional issue and should be left to them to decide. That's my two cents and hopefully my Senators (and others) will agree.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 12:02:49 AM »

I believe this is a regional issue and should be left to them to decide. That's my two cents and hopefully my Senators (and others) will agree.

1. This law shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories which do not form part of any Region.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 12:03:51 AM »

Haha, oops. It's late, I'll go with that. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 04:19:07 AM »

Amendment 1: 7 Aye, 1 Nay, 1 Abstain (Passes)
Amendment 2: 5 Aye, 2 Nay, 2 Abstain (Passes)
Amendment 3: 5 Aye, 1 Nay, 3 Abstain (Passes)
Amendment 4: 6 Aye, 3 Abstain (Passes)
Amendment 5: 7 Aye, 2 Abstain (Passes)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 06:00:10 AM »

We are voting on final passage.

Section 2: Findings
1. The criminalization of consensual sex in which money is paid for participation in the sex act is a violation of civil liberties.
2. The regulation of legalized brothels will allow for an increase in public safety by mandating tests and protections against sexually transmitted infections.

Section 3: Legalization of Prostitution
1. No law shall exist criminalizing the act of paying for participation in a sex act.
2. All prostitutes must be 18 or older.

Section 4: Limitations
1. Local governments shall have the right to regulate the prostitution industry, including for health and safety purposes. Such regulations may include, but are not limited to:
    - Requiring use of a registered location while engaging in business (i.e. forbidding 'street work');
    - Requiring mandatory drug and venereal disease tests;
    - Mandating use of contraceptive devices during business activities;
2. Where no local regulations exist as per Clause 2, the following regulations shall be followed:
- All prostitutes shall be required to utilize condoms during vaginal or anal intercourse.
    - Prostitutes shall be required to obtain testing for venereal diseases, including HIV, once a month. If a venereal disease is detected, the prostitute is forbidden from seeing further customers, until and unless the disease is no longer present or is in a noncommunicable stage.
3. The government shall have the right to tax the services given by the prostitution industry in applicable areas.

Aye
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 06:02:51 AM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 03:52:50 PM »

Aye
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 03:53:27 PM »

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »

Nay.  I cannot support having different age standards for prostitutes and their clients.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »

Abstain, I lean towards support on legalizing prostitution yet I don't like the wording of the bill
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 01:37:53 PM »

Aye.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 02:40:02 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass.  Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 01:22:23 PM »

I'm changing to Nay and saying that Ebowed is a terrible PPT and an incredibly biased one, you know that the remaining senators (perhaps maybe Jas) would vote Nay and are rushing to try and pass your bills without a true vote of the senate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies