Ferguson's 10 Truths
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:25:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ferguson's 10 Truths
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
The electoral college should be abolished and replaced with a national popular vote.

In matters of children’s education, when objective truth and the wishes of parents come into conflict (such as evolution or sex-ed), objective truth should always come first.

Providing funding for Ukraine's defense against a Russian invasion is both morally justified and in the best interest of the United States.

If it were to happen, providing funding for Taiwan's defense against a Chinese invasion would be both morally justified and in the best interest of the United States.

As it stands today, nuclear energy is the best available option for fighting climate change.

Reducing car dependency and expanding public transportation should be a goal of the government.

The best way to reduce the cost of housing is to build more housing.

The death penalty should be abolished because the possibility of a wrongful conviction is unconscionable.

Trans people deserve equal treatment under the law.

There should be no restrictions whatsoever on abortion.

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Ferguson's 10 Truths  (Read 1324 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2023, 04:51:08 PM »

?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 04:58:42 PM »

For number nine do you mean trans people should get equal treatment or that we should carve out a special and treasured class for them?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 05:01:53 PM »

We already know Biden is gonna win blue avatars whom aren't Rs they are Traditional and we aren't D we are just Secularism don't realize that

Ds are gonna be the majority party soon 2025
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 05:11:41 PM »

For number nine do you mean trans people should get equal treatment or that we should carve out a special and treasured class for them?
I didn't realize anyone was calling for the latter; epic if so.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:15:41 PM »

If you disagree with the prospect of equal treatment for trans people, just come out and say it. Don't be a coward.

How are you defining "special and treasured class"? What specific protections, proposed by me in the past, would you classify as "special and treasured" as opposed to "equal"? Are there currently groups who you believe receive "special and treasured" protections under the law, rather than equal protections?
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 05:30:58 PM »

Congrats on the rare recommend!

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 05:33:17 PM »

There are caveats on nearly all of these, but I voted for all except 2 and 10.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 07:18:19 PM »

All but 6 (too absolute) and 10.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 09:08:24 PM »

All but 10, which is an insane absolute.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 09:42:00 PM »

2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 10:30:03 PM »

If you're going to do this dumb thread can you at least not write an essay for each "truth"?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 10:59:47 PM »

1: Probably not; elections should continue being administered at the state level, and NPV would make that difficult and introduce strange incentives. Not a strong no, because I'd support efforts to promote proportionality, but we should keep an Electoral College.

2: Kind of the opposite of the first one; I'll agree that children 'should' be taught true things in a perfect world but my real opinion is that there's no reason children can't be taught contradictory things ("the state believes x, our church believes y, here's why these are incompatible and which tests you should give which answers to"; I think this would actually be quite healthy and introduce people to the idea that people build for themselves, and live in, mutually contradictory realities and moral systems), and requirements coming from society and parents should ideally be additive. Picked 'yes' but it's a very weak yes and depends on reading you in a specific way.

3: Yes, of course.

4: Yes, of course.

5: Yes, of course.

6: No, in fact the total reverse. Society should try to promote individualism, and someone who owns their own vehicle (even if it's just a bicycle!) has so many more options than someone who depends on public transportation. We should try to promote car ownership and get society to a place where public transportation is entirely unnecessary.

7: Yes, of course.

8: No, I don't think so. Sentencing an innocent man to death does not seem obviously more unconscionable to sentencing a man to life in a horrible prison with evil people, and it creates significantly fewer evil knock-on consequences for society. We should replace the current practice of 'life sentences' with the death penalty.

9: Yes, of course. Everyone deserves equal treatment under the law. I think we disagree on just what that equal treatment should be, though.

10: I'll vote yes sort of aspirationally, but this isn't practical and I don't think you believe in removing restrictions on who can perform an abortion. (I'm glad to see that you believe in the destruction of the AMA cartel!)

Yes: 2 (but very narrowly), 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 (more of a yes in spirit than truth though)
No: 1 (but very narrowly), 6, 8

Surprisingly high level of agreement here; there were only three where I disagreed at all, two where I disagreed at all, and only one "oh hell no!", number 6. I was expecting most of these to be in that category.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 11:23:11 PM »

I agree with all of Ferguson’s truths.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 11:32:52 PM »

LOL you picked mostly obviously popular ones except for the last one maybe. Lame!

I actually put myself out there and expressed some of my most controversial opinions and put them out to the public for judgment. I feel that if everyone did that, it would have been a much more illuminating exercise and better use of everyone's time than people just preaching to the choir.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 11:58:50 PM »

Agree with all ten.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 09:17:21 PM »

All except 8
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »

You think women should be able to abort an 8 month old fetus even if it’s not for any health-related reasons?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2023, 11:19:12 AM »

I don’t get how people can be super anti-death penalty while also being super pro-abortion
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2023, 11:21:45 AM »

3-5,7,9
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »

Agree: 5,6,8,9,10
Disagree: 1,3,4
Other: 2 (depends how we define OBJECTIVE), 7 (need to also limit housing restrictions)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2023, 05:54:24 PM »

I agree with you, perhaps unsurprisingly, close to 100% on every part except maybe the nuclear energy part. I mostly support it but I still remain wary of its downsides. I don't know that it us truly the best alternative, but it is an alternative.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2023, 06:20:45 PM »

All but 5 (solar power gang)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2023, 09:05:59 PM »

LOL you picked mostly obviously popular ones except for the last one maybe. Lame!

Eh, with the exception of the last one (or two), I don't really have any controversial views. /shrug/
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2023, 09:27:46 PM »

Eh, with the exception of the last one (or two), I don't really have any controversial views. /shrug/

I mean, for #2* and for #8, you seem to be decently clearly on the wrong side of majority opinion as shown by polls, even before we get to problems with issue polls.

Half the electorate is Republicans! Republicans win national elections very slightly more** than half the time! Your views are actually quite controversial.

*I guess this one asks a less loaded version of your question -- "should parents have more influence over the curriculum" -- and is only at 50% rather than 51%, but the opposite belief is so unusual that I feel pretty comfortable calling this a majority.
**Presidential and House elections, added together. This depends on where you set the cut-off, but starting at 1980 and counting all elections, you only get Democratic advantages if you start from 2006, 2018, or 2020 (2008 and 2016 produce ties). 1978 produces a tie, and earlier elections tend to produce more Democratic victories overall. This means that virtually everyone on Atlas Forum (except those born such that their first cycle was 2006, or that their first cycle was before 1980) has experienced more R wins than D wins total in national elections.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2023, 11:09:40 PM »

I don’t get how people can be super anti-death penalty while also being super pro-abortion

Simple: a fetus isn’t a human being in any meaningful sense of the term.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies