True or False: Las Vegas is to Salt Lake City as Dubai is to Riyadh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  True or False: Las Vegas is to Salt Lake City as Dubai is to Riyadh
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Las Vegas to Salt Lake City as Dubai is to Riyadh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: True or False: Las Vegas is to Salt Lake City as Dubai is to Riyadh  (Read 1250 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »

Just thought of this analogy recently. Seems legit to me.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:24:55 AM »

Mormons built Vegas, but do they still run it?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 11:20:24 AM »

Globally, here's a strong correlation between irrigation-dependent desert societies and explicitly religious communitarian governments.  Having a particular resort city become the designated release valve is also pretty common historically.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »

Riyadh to my knowledge does not have Ahmadis or Wahhabis be the majority of the population and the latter is more akin to evangelicals than Mormons.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 03:49:04 PM »

It is more useful to compare Riyadh and Jeddah with Abu Dhabi and Dubai, respectively.

SLC is not a good comparison to Riyadh because it is not remotely a conservative city. Mormons are a minority in SLC, and practicing Mormons are an even smaller minority. And while SLC is the titular center of Mormonism, Riyadh is the not the center of the Islamic faith. Mecca and Provo, there might be more of a comparison.

Other than resorts and high-end shopping, Las Vegas and Dubai don't have much in common, other than maybe both have large populations of low wage workers. Dubai is a magnet for international commerce, while Las Vegas is a meeting city.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »

Salt Lake City proper is more liberal than Las Vegas proper.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

Globally, here's a strong correlation between irrigation-dependent desert societies and explicitly religious communitarian governments.

Can you offer any reading on this? Geographic determinism is sort of my hobby horse.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 01:15:09 PM »

Globally, here's a strong correlation between irrigation-dependent desert societies and explicitly religious communitarian governments.

Can you offer any reading on this? Geographic determinism is sort of my hobby horse.
"Hydraulic despotism" is the key term. Karl Wittfogel seems like a good place to start. I have not read deeply on this myself but it's something I'd like to investigate further eventually.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 03:46:21 PM »

Globally, here's a strong correlation between irrigation-dependent desert societies and explicitly religious communitarian governments.  Having a particular resort city become the designated release valve is also pretty common historically.

Rome's irrigation dependent?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 06:43:52 PM »

Rome's irrigation dependent?

Egypt was one of the empire's primary breadbaskets, Egypt is literally an irrigated, agrarian desert society, and the imperial city depended on the provinces for food security. So kind of yes?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies