2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:55:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz  (Read 3823 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2023, 12:32:50 PM »

Fentrice Driskell will be the Democratic nominee here, and Gaetz as the Republican nominee probably gives her as clear a shot as possible.
No, not really.

Look at all of Florida's recent Governors - a son of a former President (Bush), a former Attorney General and State Senator (Crist), a prominent businessman (Scott), and a former Congressman (DeSantis). They are all solid, well known people. Of them, only Rick Scott was relatively obscure, and he had the funds to overcome that.

Nobody knows who Fentrice Driskell is. I barely know anything about her, other than what she looks like and that she's in the legislature or something. Gaetz is a known quantity with a base of support that is more loyal than even DeSantis's 2018 base.

Unless Democrats nominate Niki Fried, then Gaetz is still the frontrunner.

That's all well and good but doesn't really change the reality of what I wrote.

Wouldn't Donna Deegan be the strongest on their extremely thin bench? It seems like a no brainer.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2023, 12:59:16 PM »

Fentrice Driskell will be the Democratic nominee here, and Gaetz as the Republican nominee probably gives her as clear a shot as possible.
No, not really.

Look at all of Florida's recent Governors - a son of a former President (Bush), a former Attorney General and State Senator (Crist), a prominent businessman (Scott), and a former Congressman (DeSantis). They are all solid, well known people. Of them, only Rick Scott was relatively obscure, and he had the funds to overcome that.

Nobody knows who Fentrice Driskell is. I barely know anything about her, other than what she looks like and that she's in the legislature or something. Gaetz is a known quantity with a base of support that is more loyal than even DeSantis's 2018 base.

Wouldn't Donna Deegan be the strongest on their extremely thin bench? It seems like a no brainer.
I believe their best recruit is someone from the Miami area, as it seems to be very elastic. A majority of the persuadable voters are probably from that area, so someone who appeals there is better.

DMP is probably the best possible candidate in that regard, though she's running for Senate. She could still be bounced for governor if she puts up a stronger than expected showing in the Senate (ie like John James). If she wins the Senate election or loses by more than Biden however, then she's not running.

The Tampa area seems pretty inelastic, so Driskell would not outperform as much. Same with Deegan in the Jacksonville area.  Although both could probably still win a statewide race in 2026 if Trump is the President (and especially if Gaetz is the nominee).
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »

"Endorsing a sexual predator and the one Republican who could well lose Florida to trigger the libs."

Guess the GOP didn't learn their lesson from 2017 Alabama. It's proof that the one thing that matters to them more than winning is supporting the most awful people alive, apparently because they are sociopaths who are more concerned with watching the world burn and soaking in liberal outrage than doing anything at all remotely positive for society or even themselves.

How this joke of a party gets even a single vote is beyond me. Well, I GET IT, but the implications of the fact that nearly half the country supports them are highly disturbing to say the least.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2023, 01:28:19 PM »

"Endorsing a sexual predator and the one Republican who could well lose Florida to trigger the libs."

Guess the GOP didn't learn their lesson from 2017 Alabama.
Having DeSantis finished this way would be nice. It would be the ultimate repudiation of his authoritarian governance in FL.

Florida is not Alabama yet - it wouldn't take nearly as big of an outperformance for it to flip. A normal candidate such as Nunez or Moody could lose too in a Trump midterm.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2023, 03:05:49 PM »

@riverwalk + others: Just give it up!

If this actually happens there is no snowballs chance in hell a Democrat wins anything in that State for the next few Election Cycles.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2023, 04:04:28 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2023, 04:14:32 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Watch OH, TX, NC and FL on Eday, a blue wave is 5 or more pts just in 2008/12 52/45 and Biden not in McLaughlin is  52/48 and we won WI, FL and PA 52/48 22/230 and likely to win KY G 52/48 thats why Harris it right with 4 percentage pts unemployment and Bush W won in 20o4'reelection with  5 of pts unemployment

We only won the PVI by 1 in 22 not 5

The Rs can pass immigration reform but Trump just want this border wall and gave the issue to Ds

I see it Brown 48/44
Phil Ehr 48/44
ALLRED losing 42/37
Tester 50/47

Bush W ran on immigration reform and border Security along with Jeb and we Should of passed it when McCain was alive in 2o13 now the border is a mess

Facebook wouldn't post a poll having Phil Ehr up 2 and Brown up 1 if it wasn't legitimate, Act blue is supporting Ehr not Powell anyways
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2023, 07:43:41 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2023, 07:51:11 PM by riverwalk3 »

@riverwalk + others: Just give it up!

Florida has the highest inflation rate in the nation.

Florida insurance costs 3x the national average as of 2022 - probably 4x right now.

So, how much of the revenue increase is just due to inflation (and not a real increase)?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2023, 07:12:58 AM »

No, not really.

Why do you think she's such a shoe-in to be the Dem nominee?

The party has essentially already anointed her - confidence in her is extremely high by Florida Democrat standards and most folks who could run (though not all) have already privately deferred to her. I have not met her personally yet but people I know to be sharp have been impressed.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2023, 09:15:28 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2023, 09:28:56 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

As I said I wouldn't be surprised if Scott lost he isn't Latino like Rubio and Cruz and FL becomes competetive again, IAN is gone and yes Border security is important but Rs instead of passing immigration reform wants to impeach Biden and have no way to remove him from office

Phil Ehr 46/44 believe it's 48/44
Brown 45/44 48/44
Tester +5 0
 50/46 like last time
Gallego +5

51/49 S Filibuster proof Trifecta
..we still have WV, TN, TX and MO

That's why I have FL and GA and OH strong D.
Scott only won all his race by +1% Sink, Crist and Nelson only lost by 1 PT
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2023, 11:01:08 AM »

No, not really.

The party has essentially already anointed her - confidence in her is extremely high by Florida Democrat standards and most folks who could run (though not all) have already privately deferred to her. I have not met her personally yet but people I know to be sharp have been impressed.
How much would you bet in a prediction market she becomes the nominee? I feel like the Democrat's best chance is to run someone from the Miami area (ie Fried would be a better candidate, as well as DMP).

This is a really good chance at a pickup if DeSantis continues running the state to the ground, especially if Gaetz is the nominee. This race probably will be the one that injects reality to the Republican Party of Florida that they're not invincible.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2023, 11:58:00 AM »

I still think Taddeo could be a good statewide candidate, if her Republican opponent is not Cuban or from Miami.

Yes she did poorly against Salazar, but Salazar seems like an institution at this point.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »

No, not really.

How much would you bet in a prediction market she becomes the nominee? I feel like the Democrat's best chance is to run someone from the Miami area (ie Fried would be a better candidate, as well as DMP).

This is a really good chance at a pickup if DeSantis continues running the state to the ground, especially if Gaetz is the nominee. This race probably will be the one that injects reality to the Republican Party of Florida that they're not invincible.

I'm not a betting man (and some could argue inside trading) so $0. I've also been around long enough to know that nothing in politics is truly set in stone until after it happens Smiley

Fwiw I'm not here trying to endorse her candidacy or argue that she's going to win (or even that she's the strongest Dem option), just that internally the party appears clearly set on running her.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2023, 02:35:49 PM »

Having DeSantis finished this way would be nice. It would be the ultimate repudiation of his authoritarian governance in FL.

Florida is not Alabama yet - it wouldn't take nearly as big of an outperformance for it to flip. A normal candidate such as Nunez or Moody could lose too in a Trump midterm.
1. 2026 won't be a Trump midterm, it'll be either a DeSantis or a Biden midterm, if it's Biden's 6 year itch then even Gaetz would have a really hard time screwing it up, Moody or Nunez would get close to 2022 margins if that's the case.
2. If it's a DeSantis midterm, I suppose Gaetz can make it too close to comfort (Although I doubt he loses unless he is either facing new allegations or he faces an S+ tier Dem recruit), however both Nunez and Moody will win comfortably in that scenario, not 2022 margins but Rubio 2016 kind of margin is very possible here. Nunez would have a solid base in Miami Dade, Moody is a known overperformer in the I4 (She won Hillsborough in 2018!), neither one is losing a FL statewide race anytime soon.

And how the GOP primary would go? Who knows, still no idea on what the GOP primary would look like, and of course if RDS does become president that means Nunez is the incumbent which means she very likely won't face much of a primary challenge... And otherwise there are rumors that Donalds is looking to jump in as well... that could further complicate things for practically everyone.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »

1. 2026 won't be a Trump midterm, it'll be either a DeSantis or a Biden midterm, if it's Biden's 6 year itch then even Gaetz would have a really hard time screwing it up, Moody or Nunez would get close to 2022 margins if that's the case.
2. If it's a DeSantis midterm, I suppose Gaetz can make it too close to comfort (Although I doubt he loses unless he is either facing new allegations or he faces an S+ tier Dem recruit), however both Nunez and Moody will win comfortably in that scenario, not 2022 margins but Rubio 2016 kind of margin is very possible here. Nunez would have a solid base in Miami Dade, Moody is a known overperformer in the I4 (She won Hillsborough in 2018!), neither one is losing a FL statewide race anytime soon.

And how the GOP primary would go? Who knows, still no idea on what the GOP primary would look like, and of course if RDS does become president that means Nunez is the incumbent which means she very likely won't face much of a primary challenge... And otherwise there are rumors that Donalds is looking to jump in as well... that could further complicate things for practically everyone.
RDS almost certainly isn't becoming President. The only path is Trump getting arrested and the economy going into deep recession (like 2008), and even then it's not certain he'll win the primary at this point, with Vivek rapidly surging. If he does, the midterm will look like 2010 or worse due to the economy state, unless he gets in a war with China to boost his approvals.

If it's a Biden midterm (unlikely with the economy likely to be bad next year), FL could still flip with DeSantis rapidly running the state into the ground (Florida has the highest inflation rate of any state in the nation). Keep in mind CT was 3 points from flipping in 2018, and FL is less red than CT is blue.
OriAr
Rookie
Israel

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2023, 03:27:06 PM »

RDS almost certainly isn't becoming President. The only path is Trump getting arrested and the economy going into deep recession (like 2008), and even then it's not certain he'll win the primary at this point, with Vivek rapidly surging. If he does, the midterm will look like 2010 or worse due to the economy state, unless he gets in a war with China to boost his approvals.

If it's a Biden midterm (unlikely with the economy likely to be bad next year), FL could still flip with DeSantis rapidly running the state into the ground (Florida has the highest inflation rate of any state in the nation). Keep in mind CT was 3 points from flipping in 2018, and FL is less red than CT is blue.
1. I mean... there is over >50% chance Trump is convicted by March... if he is then RDS WILL be the Republican nominee, and people would do well to remember that Biden will be an unpopular 82 year old incumbent next year, it'll be enough to beat Trump but he loses to any other R except maybe Vivek. (Give me a break, Vivek surge? LOL, Vivek would do fairly well to make it to NH at this point).
2. For all the talk about how RDS supposedly runs FL to the ground... his approval rate is solidly in the mid 50s, that's simply not a state that is desperate for a change, also I am fairly certain Nevada and Utah have higher inflation than FL, they certainly did in 2022.
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2023, 03:32:32 PM »

You’re delusional if you genuinely think that DeSantis will ever sit behind the Resolute Desk.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2023, 03:32:53 PM »

1. I mean... there is over >50% chance Trump is convicted by March... if he is then RDS WILL be the Republican nominee, and people would do well to remember that Biden will be an unpopular 82 year old incumbent next year, it'll be enough to beat Trump but he loses to any other R except maybe Vivek. (Give me a break, Vivek surge? LOL, Vivek would do fairly well to make it to NH at this point).
2. For all the talk about how RDS supposedly runs FL to the ground... his approval rate is solidly in the mid 50s, that's simply not a state that is desperate for a change, also I am fairly certain Nevada and Utah have higher inflation than FL, they certainly did in 2022.
1.DeSantis might soon not even be second place. We don't know for sure he is the nominee. In the debate, he looked left and right before raising his hand halfway, which can't play well with Republican voters. Republicans back then only knew him as the governor who kept Florida open while everyone else was shut down, which is why his polling numbers used to be so high. Voters do not like DeSantis the culture warrior, or the education busybody.

He is also a terrible candidate for the general election. He is the worst candidate to attack Biden on inflation with, as his record as governor was even worse than Biden's record as President. He continually focuses on cultural wars that nobody cares about over the economy.

Moreover, his authoritarian behavior is starting to scare a lot of people off. Voters will be reminded of his neo-Nazi associations.

2.DeSantis isn't in the mid-50s anymore. He's down to 54 on Morning Consult, which shows every incumbent governor above water. A more accurate poll has him at 50-49, and that was July, before he posted stuff such as the sonnenrad ad, changed the curriculum to talk about how "slavery was good" and died on the hill defending it, and banned courses such as AP Psychology. Also, Florida had the highest inflation rate as of April 2023.

riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2023, 07:41:37 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2023, 07:47:43 PM by riverwalk3 »

DeSantis = Brownback
Gaetz = Kobach
Democratic nominee = Kelly
Moody/Nunez = Coyler
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2023, 01:17:40 AM »

Florida does have a slim chance of flipping for governor.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2023, 12:23:10 PM by riverwalk3 »

Maybe Trump actually wants Democrats to flip FL-Gov in 2026. He probably hates DeSantis now.

Usually, I strongly disagree with Laura Loomer, but she's right on this one:
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2023, 12:39:33 PM »

I agree 2026 will either be a Biden Midterm or a DeSantis Midterm. Biden Midterm looks more likely at this Point in time.

The path for Trump to become President has closed. He cannot and will not win Arizona & Georgia, two essential States he needs to win to be even considered in a competitive Race.

For example: Arizona Independents now outnumber Republicans and Democrats in the State. Arizona Voters have rejected the entire Republican Election Deniers in 2022 from Lake (Governors), Masters (Senate), Finchem (Secretary of State) and Hamadeh (Attorney General). They are fed up with these people.

And if Trump continues his bigotry rants against Fani Wills + other Statewide Officials like Raffensberger, Kemp Moderate Republicans, African-Americans, other Minorities are going to come out in droves during the 2024 Election and put Georgia away.

I think at this Point in a potential Biden vs Trump Race AZ & GA won't be close, GA likely called before Midnight and AZ around Midnight as well or between Midnight and 1am.

People also forget if it's a DeSantis Midterm in 2026 current Lt. Governor Jeanette Nunez would already be Governor of Florida. DeSantis would need to resign his Seat to become President and Nunez would then take over the the Florida Governorship.

There is also the possibility that DeSantis doesn't serve out his Full Term and resigns at some Point in 2025 giving Nunez a leg up for the 2026 Race.

Florida Insiders I am in contact saying DeSantis, Nunez & Moody are like a TRIUMVIRATE like we saw in Rome between Pompejus Magnus, Julius Caesar and Crassus. Nothing what happens in FL goes through unless it goes before those 3 first. They are the Decision Makers mostly and it will be tough to break that stranglehold they have on FL.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2023, 12:46:45 PM »

Maybe Trump actually wants Democrats to flip FL-Gov in 2026. He probably hates DeSantis now.

Laura Loomer is a jerk! She is a Antisemetic White Supremacist.

And you & Meatball Slayer who even don't like in FL need to stop lecturing people about the State. Just please shut up!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »

And you & Meatball Slayer who even don't like in FL need to stop lecturing people about the State. Just please shut up!
Umm do you live in Flarda??
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2023, 05:26:02 PM »

Meatball Slayer lives in MO but he lecturing about FL. Hope Josh Hawley, Marsha Blackburn loses.

I have changed my mind. I am supporting Biden in the GE if Trump is the Nominee just to hurt the MAGA Cult!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2023, 06:19:38 PM »

Meatball Slayer lives in MO but he lecturing about FL. Hope Josh Hawley, Marsha Blackburn loses.

I have changed my mind. I am supporting Biden in the GE if Trump is the Nominee just to hurt the MAGA Cult!
Answer my question please. Are you from Florida? It's a yes or no question.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies