2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:24:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2026 FL GOV - Donald Trump Jr. & Kimberly Guilfoyle considering early endorsement of Matt Gaetz  (Read 3820 times)
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2023, 04:55:36 PM by Meatball Slayer »

Donald Trump Jr. and his wife, Kimberly Guilfoyle, are considering an early endorsement of a hypothetical Matt Gaetz gubernatorial bid to succeed term-limited Ron DeSantis.

The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 03:43:57 PM »

Democrats have ran their best possible candidate for Senate this time, but if she loses by 2 while Biden loses by 8, I could see her running again for governor in 2026. In that case, she probably beats Gaetz (and it might not be close given DeSantis's approvals will be in the tank by then).

The final slaying of Meatball will come when a Democratic governor is elected in FL in 2026 (of course, Republicans still have comfortable majorities in both chambers to check the governor and prevent anything remotely left of center from being passed).
Spectator
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 04:13:04 PM »

One of the very few Republicans who could lose a statewide race in Florida.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 04:21:55 PM »

If the environment is right, way more Republicans than just Gaetz could lose. This is a governors race we're talking about, not a federal one. This is especially true if DeSantis becomes unpopular.

Did anyone think McAuliffe could lose Virginia in January 2021?
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 04:36:03 PM »

Democrats have ran their best possible candidate for Senate this time, but if she loses by 2 while Biden loses by 8, I could see her running again for governor in 2026. In that case, she probably beats Gaetz (and it might not be close given DeSantis's approvals will be in the tank by then).

The final slaying of Meatball will come when a Democratic governor is elected in FL in 2026 (of course, Republicans still have comfortable majorities in both chambers to check the governor and prevent anything remotely left of center from being passed).
DMP won’t outperform Biden by *that* much with presidential polarization. I could see Scott +5, Trump +8, but not a bigger deviation than that.
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 04:55:00 PM »

Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 05:05:51 PM »

I don’t think he’d lose, but it depends on the national environment and if DeSantis’ approval ratings are down by November 3, 2026.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 06:13:47 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2023, 06:20:08 PM by riverwalk3 »

DMP won’t outperform Biden by *that* much with presidential polarization. I could see Scott +5, Trump +8, but not a bigger deviation than that.
This is the same amount Rubio outperformed Trump in 2016 (the only cycle where every Senate race went the same way as the President). I wouldn't be surprised if the Senate/President margins reversed. Rick Scott is a very weak incumbent.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 06:20:56 PM »

Safe R. I would love to say "I'm so sorry, Florida-"but f*** you! You bring this kind of s*** on yourselves.

That's a big slap in the face to Nunez and Sanchez though.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 06:24:04 PM »

Safe R. I would love to say "I'm so sorry, Florida-"but f*** you! You bring this kind of s*** on yourselves.

That's a big slap in the face to Nunez and Sanchez though.
If Trump wins FL by high single digits, it's definitely not safe R in 2026.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »

In a Republican midterm, this race could quite easily be an underrated Democratic target.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 11:41:52 AM »

Fentrice Driskell will be the Democratic nominee here, and Gaetz as the Republican nominee probably gives her as clear a shot as possible.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 11:52:28 AM »

Fentrice Driskell will be the Democratic nominee here, and Gaetz as the Republican nominee probably gives her as clear a shot as possible.
Driskell is nowhere near as strong as DMP, but it might be well enough, especially versus Gaetz (and especially if it's a Trump midterm).

DeSantis will be a bigger factor than Gaetz. Although Gaetz being the nominee will make it easier (it will be like Kansas in 2018, though Florida will be less red than Kansas was then).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 11:56:02 AM »

No, not really.

Look at all of Florida's recent Governors - a son of a former President (Bush), a former Attorney General and State Senator (Crist), a prominent businessman (Scott), and a former Congressman (DeSantis). They are all solid, well known people. Of them, only Rick Scott was relatively obscure, and he had the funds to overcome that.

Nobody knows who Fentrice Driskell is. I barely know anything about her, other than what she looks like and that she's in the legislature or something. Gaetz is a known quantity with a base of support that is more loyal than even DeSantis's 2018 base.

Unless Democrats nominate Niki Fried, then Gaetz is still the frontrunner.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 11:58:38 AM »

No, not really.

Look at all of Florida's recent Governors - a son of a former President (Bush), a former Attorney General and State Senator (Crist), a prominent businessman (Scott), and a former Congressman (DeSantis). They are all solid, well known people. Of them, only Rick Scott was relatively obscure, and he had the funds to overcome that.

Nobody knows who Fentrice Driskell is. I barely know anything about her, other than what she looks like and that she's in the legislature or something. Gaetz is a known quantity with a base of support that is more loyal than even DeSantis's 2018 base.

DMP would also be strong if she puts up a stronger than expected showing in the Senate race and gets name recognition from it (she's in the Miami-area already, which is 30% of Floridans). It would be like a John James scenario (though maybe enough to win given the environment and given that Gaetz is much weaker than peters).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 11:58:53 AM »

No, not really.

That's all well and good but doesn't really change the reality of what I wrote.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 12:02:58 PM »

Gaetz is too much of a lunatic and too toxic to win a General Election even in Florida. If Gaetz runs all of his past will unravel very quickly. The Guy has just too much baggage.

My gut feel is that Nunez, Moody and Patronis will make some sort of a Deal.

I could see Moody agreeing to be Jeanette Nunez' Running Mate allowing Florida Department of Law Enforcement Director Mark Glass to run for AG!
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »

No, not really.

That's all well and good but doesn't really change the reality of what I wrote.

Why do you think she's such a shoe-in to be the Dem nominee?
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 06:22:51 PM »

He can pick Laura Loomer as his running mate.
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2023, 07:40:55 PM »

Gaetz is too much of a lunatic and too toxic to win a General Election even in Florida. If Gaetz runs all of his past will unravel very quickly. The Guy has just too much baggage.

I could see Moody agreeing to be Jeanette Nunez' Running Mate allowing Florida Department of Law Enforcement Director Mark Glass to run for AG!
Bold of you to think Nuñez survives a Republican primary.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2023, 09:13:54 PM »

Even with a normal Republican nominee (or if DeSantis changed the constitution to run for a third term), I can see a similar underperformance as Newsom given that DeSantis is rapidly running the state to the ground (around 11% below the previous Presidential result).

Besides the extremely authoritarian cultural wars which will get less popular the longer they drag on, Democrats would be wise to touch the insurance crisis (insurance companies are pulling out at a rapid rate, causing the cost of living to skyrocket). Florida has one of the highest inflation rates in the nation right now.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2023, 09:32:17 PM »

Bold of you to think Nuñez survives a Republican primary.
I really don't see Nuñez having a statewide political future. Not sure which area of Miami she represented in the state house, but I could see her being a congresswoman in either the 26th, 27th, or 28th districts, if one of those ever opens up.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2023, 10:02:50 AM »

Rebekah Jones should run for the Dem nom to give us all a rematch of the Gaetz/Jones race from hell that Gaetz's district had to suffer from last fall, but on a bigger and more entertaining scale.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »

Republicans are certainly overplaying their hand in Florida. You can't govern a Trump +3 state like a Trump +30 state (or like you're dictator for life) and expect no consequences.

6 week abortion ban, sunsetting Social Security/Medicare, and banning AP courses certainly have to be losing positions in Florida. DeSantis seems slightly above water in Disney in the last poll taken, but the longer this war drags on, the less popular it will get, and it certainly will be unpopular by 2026.

Furthermore, repeatedly focusing on imaginary cultural wars while insurance continues to skyrocket (Florida's insurance rates are 4x the nation's due to insurance companies pulling out fast) is extremely tone deaf.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2023, 12:00:39 PM »

On Facebook they have a poll showing Phil Ehr up 46/44 on Scott and Brown up 45/44 and ALLRED down 42/37 if we defeat Scott we can win the Gov, Phil Ehr is on Act blue not Powell it's a long way til Aug 24 D primary

I know Conserv dint wantta to believe in D Phil Ehr but he is a Vet just like Ernst, Kunce and Slotkin and will be tough to beat and we won the Deegan race FL is moving leftward like the rest of the country
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies