BREAKING: Yevgeny Prigozhin dead after a jet crash in Russia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:38:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: Yevgeny Prigozhin dead after a jet crash in Russia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: BREAKING: Yevgeny Prigozhin dead after a jet crash in Russia  (Read 3254 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 02:10:05 PM »

For more information, see Facebook (for the next 9 years straight)
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 02:11:24 PM »

Is Putin (Russian gov) actually trying to "pass" this as an accident?
Or are they admitting to shooting it down intentionally (which is what actually happened)?

Nobody in Russia is passing it off as an "accident", the official channels were the first to confirm his death and call it a "terrorist attack". I think it will be used as an excuse to escalate the war.
"excuse to escalate"

Garbage, Putin did nothing even when the Kremlin was bombed.

I must be lost, when the kremlin was bombed? You mean that pathetic drone attack that was immediately shot down?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2023, 02:17:27 PM »

Or are they admitting to shooting it down intentionally (which is what actually happened)?

Nobody in Russia is passing it off as an "accident", the official channels were the first to confirm his death and call it a "terrorist attack". I think it will be used as an excuse to escalate the war.
"excuse to escalate"

Garbage, Putin did nothing even when the Kremlin was bombed.

I must be lost, when the kremlin was bombed? You mean that pathetic drone attack that was immediately shot down?
And the same threats where made over and over again and nothing happens.

They rattle their russian sabers but never draw them, because they are broken at the hilt.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2023, 02:21:13 PM »

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/23/ten-killed-in-moscow-jet-crash-with-wagner-leader-on-passenger-list-19385966/

Russia’s civilian aviation regulator, Rosaviatsia, said he was on the passengers list, but it was not immediately clear if Prigozhin had actually boarded the flight.

So he is probably not dead.
Logical

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2023, 02:21:17 PM »

HE DIDN'T FLY SO GOOD!
WHO WANTS TO TRY A COUP NEXT?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2023, 02:28:07 PM »

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/23/ten-killed-in-moscow-jet-crash-with-wagner-leader-on-passenger-list-19385966/

Russia’s civilian aviation regulator, Rosaviatsia, said he was on the passengers list, but it was not immediately clear if Prigozhin had actually boarded the flight.

So he is probably not dead.
Putin wouldn't stage a plane crash and not kill those on the passenger list.

Warning this is Graphic Video from the crash site:

As you can see from the video the debris are all located together in a very small area, so it didn't blew up at a high altitude, and the bodies are just missing their heads but otherwise intact.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2023, 02:29:34 PM »

Rest in pieces:

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2023, 02:42:47 PM »

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2023, 02:56:34 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2023, 03:09:44 PM by MABA 2020 »

Yeah you don't cross the rubicon and then back down and just go about your life as if nothing happened. He should've gone for Moscow.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2023, 03:03:18 PM »

Once he started the coup attempt, he had no choice other than go all in.

Either way, he would’ve died if he invaded Moscow just like now, so the lesson here is don’t threat coup attempts that you’re unsure about succeeding. See: Bolsonaro as well.

Doesn’t matter if you think it COULD work. Unless you know it WILL work, it’s always a terrible idea.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2023, 03:21:14 PM »

How delusional did Prigozhin have to be to keep jet setting to and from Moscow after his coup attempt? More or less delusional than he needed to be to launch a coup in the first place?
We can't be certain that he was on the plane, he could have been executed somewhere else earlier, and the plane used as an excuse to cover it.

Wagner and Prigozin should have defected to the West, a credible offer should have been given to them to switch sides.

LOL inviting hardened Russian mercenaries and their leader into the West was never remotely an option.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2023, 03:22:22 PM »

It was doomed to happen one way or another, unless part of his deal with Putin was to pretend his death and get a new identity so that he's just dead on paper. However, the former is more likely. Once he started this coup attempt, he should have marched through. There was no way he'd back off and return to business as usual.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2023, 03:27:01 PM »

Not an endorsement, that film is just evergreen right now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2023, 03:28:42 PM »

This kind of stuff has been going on since back when only people like Jeremy Corbyn were criticizing Putin.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2023, 03:30:09 PM »

I'm watching CNN, and they are being very clear about which "facts" of this situation come directly from Russian state media. Per CNN, the Russian state media were the ones who said Prigozhin was on the passenger list. They have also shown the footage of the plane falling out of the sky on Russian state TV, and have even explicitly stated that the thing was missing one of its wings. They have also reported on the gov't launching an investigation into the "accident," but with them openly reporting on the missing wing, it's gonna be hard to claim it wasn't shot out of the sky.

The other theory is that the Russians are planning to blame Ukraine for shooting down the plane.

OK.
Thank you for this update, razze.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »

It seems like there was a set up to lure Prigozhin back to Russia from Africa:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2023, 03:39:15 PM »

If I were Prigozhin, I would have gone into hiding somewhere in South America. Flying around Russia like nothing happened was pretty dumb of him. Lord have mercy.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2023, 03:47:28 PM »

Wagner and Prigozin should have defected to the West, a credible offer should have been given to them to switch sides.

They spent 100% of their time either brutalising Ukrainians or proving why nobody could trust them.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2023, 04:24:14 PM »

US Satellite Imagery says Prigozhins Plane was likely hit by a BUK S-300 Surface-To-Air Missile. Only an S-300 has that sort of range since the Plane was travelling at 28,000 Feet and still climbing. The Missile likely hit one of the wings of the Plane spiralling it out of control.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2023, 04:27:17 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2023, 04:35:24 PM by Mike88 »

This whole thing looks suspicious. I read that it was the Russian air force that shot Prigozhin's jet, and even although I understand that his "erase" was inevitable, the way it has happened raises a lot of doubts. Not sure is this isn't just some kind of smokescreen in order for Putin to hunt down even more top generals who are not aligned and use the jet crash as an excuse.

But, if he's really dead, good riddance.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2023, 04:32:59 PM »

US President Joe Biden suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin may have been behind the crash of a plane near Moscow.

"You may recall, I was asked about this," Biden told CNN’s Kevin Liptak, alluding to comments he made in July in which he said Prighozin should be worried about his safety following the failed mutiny.

"I said I would be careful what I rode in. I don’t know for a fact what happened, but I’m not surprised," Biden said today.

At a press conference in Helsinki, Finland, in July, Biden joked that if he were Prighozin, "I’d be careful what I eat, keep my eye on my menu."

Via CNN Updates.

That did not take long.
Thought that Biden would be advised not to say anything, until later.
They (US military / CIA) must feel confident this was no "accident."
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2023, 04:37:29 PM »

The real headscratcher is why he flew on the same plane as his left- and right-hand men (it would have been safest to stay separate, or - failing that - to get on different planes when heading to the same destination). They made themselves into one target of opportunity, and for what?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2023, 04:54:18 PM »

if he were going to fake his own death, this is exactly how he'd do it
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2023, 05:15:15 PM »

I'm not saying it's impossible, but surely it'd be easier to fake your own death with a broken window than engineer the destruction of a plane and the deaths of third parties. If the reports of surface-to-air missiles being fired at the plane are true (as seems likely), then the scheme would have to involve operators of medium-range air defences, who would most likely be in the Russian army (as opposed to Wagner).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2023, 05:18:08 PM »

I'm not saying it's impossible, but surely it'd be easier to fake your own death with a broken window than engineer the destruction of a plane and the deaths of third parties.
if you fall out a window, there will be a bruised and battered corpse, but one easily identifiable by looking at it.  If your plane nose dives into the ground at 500mph, "science" will be the only way to identify someone and "science" can easily be fudged, especially in Russia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies