Colorado 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:41:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Colorado 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Colorado 2008  (Read 18271 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »

Yeah, Aizen's from Castle Rock. But somehow, I have a feeling that Rawlings is from Greeley or some other far-right part of metro Denver.

Greeley (where my cousin goes to college) is far more moderate than Castle Rock and not really considered part of the metro either. Kind of like St. Cloud and the Twin Cities metro.

I'd guess that Rawlings is from outer Jefferson or Arapahoe Counties.

Not really. Jefferson and Arapahoe a lightly blue counties now and Weld is actually slightly more conservative than Douglas and Elbert. I consider anywhere where you can see the skyline a suburb, anything less than 100 miles away is an exurb. I consider Laramie and Colorado Springs to be the outermost exurbs of Denver.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »

Colorado Springs isn't an exurb. It's the center of its own metro.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »

It certainly feels like one with no buildings over 20 stories tall and a relatively quick drive from Denver. Also, Denver's metroarea is over four times the size of the Springs, despite the springs being almost the size of Denver.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »

It certainly feels like one with no buildings over 20 stories tall and a relatively quick drive from Denver. Also, Denver's metroarea is over four times the size of the Springs, despite the springs being almost the size of Denver.
The Springs have about 200k people less than Denver. Unless I'm mistaken, it's El Paso County that's similar in size to Denver.

Also, the Springs metro is far *younger* than Denver. It's still in development.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »

The Springs have about 200k people less than Denver. Unless I'm mistaken, it's El Paso County that's similar in size to Denver.

Also, the Springs metro is far *younger* than Denver. It's still in development.

That proves my point...it really does feel like a suburb.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 01:54:23 PM »

That proves my point...it really does feel like a suburb.
How does it feel like a suburb when it's got people commuting to it, and is starting to take on the problems many cities do?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »

People commute from smaller suburbs to bigger ones all the time....and yeah, I guess the traffic is kinda bad, but not nearly as bad as Denver's. You can get stuck for 90 minutes in Denver... easy! Probably some damn stoners down the road are driving too slow Tongue
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »

People commute from smaller suburbs to bigger ones all the time....and yeah, I guess the traffic is kinda bad, but not nearly as bad as Denver's. You can get stuck for 90 minutes in Denver... easy! Probably some damn stoners down the road are driving too slow Tongue
Yeah, but it's starting to deal with poverty and crime and whatnot... Most of the Denver/Colorado Springs suburbs don't have very much of that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »

Yeah, but it's starting to deal with poverty and crime and whatnot... Most of the Denver/Colorado Springs suburbs don't have very much of that.

Yeah, then again, Brandon, Fl had a lot of that and it was a suburb of Tampa. Also, the Springs is inflitrated with Meth, a rural crime problem....and like I said, the Springs is more like an exurb and votes like one too.  El Paso county is like deliverence, but with the streets paved with Gold.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 02:31:06 PM »

Yeah, then again, Brandon, Fl had a lot of that and it was a suburb of Tampa. Also, the Springs is inflitrated with Meth, a rural crime problem....and like I said, the Springs is more like an exurb and votes like one too.  El Paso county is like deliverence, but with the streets paved with Gold.
No... Colorado Springs HAS suburbs, just like Denver.

For a real exurb, look at Greeley. People actually commute from there to Denver. But I doubt you'd find very many people commuting from Colorado Springs (which already boasts a growing job market) to Denver.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »

For a real exurb, look at Greeley. People actually commute from there to Denver. But I doubt you'd find very many people commuting from Colorado Springs (which already boasts a growing job market) to Denver.

Then again, what is your definition of suburb?  Even with your definition, Laramie,WY is an exurb. There are people in my school that commute from Denver.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »

Then again, what is your definition of suburb?  Even with your definition, Laramie,WY is an exurb. There are people in my school that commute from Denver.
My definition of suburb is essentially a bedroom community (pretty much a town where a significant portion of the workforce commutes to another city i.e. Glendale, Sunnyvale)
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »

OK - Name one.

Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2007, 10:29:29 PM »

Calhan
Black Forest

Look around in Teller and El Paso counties.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:09 PM »

There is commuter bus service between Colo Spgs and Denver (21 daily each way).  If you lived in the Springs and lost your job, you might well look for something in Denver, especially out by the Tech Center.  And people in Castle Rock commute both ways.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2007, 04:16:35 PM »

Calhan
Black Forest

Black Forest - BIG MAYBE
Calhan - Heck no

Other than Fountain and Wildfield, there is really no suburbs in CS. Trust me!
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »

Calhan
Black Forest

Black Forest - BIG MAYBE
Calhan - Heck no

Hm. Maybe cause the metro's still relatively new, and as such hasn't undergone the suburban boom Louisville, Indianapolis, Nashville, etc. are going through
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2007, 04:31:12 PM »

Calhan
Black Forest

Black Forest - BIG MAYBE
Calhan - Heck no

Hm. Maybe cause the metro's still relatively new, and as such hasn't undergone the suburban boom Louisville, Indianapolis, Nashville, etc. are going through

Colorado Springs is a city however, a very different city. This is because of the military stationed around there. Colorado Springs has Fort Carson, Peterson Air Force Base, NORAD and the Air Force Academy. This city today thrives off those installations. Like other military bases, only the town/city adjacent to the bases grows and not suburbs.

There is some growing around Colorado Springs. The region from Colorado Springs to Denver is becoming more metro. Think of it like Boston to Providence, it's a metro.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

The Springs doesn't really have any suburbs. There's a lot going on in the Springs though. I think all the military stuff down there is cool. What I don't like is those Focus on the Family morons down there tainting the city.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

The Springs doesn't really have any suburbs.

I'd still say Wildfield and Fountain but that is it. Even Fountain makes me take BRTD's side on suburbs.

There's a lot going on in the Springs though. I think all the military stuff down there is cool.

Absolutely! I hope to move back there and retire from the Army there. I'd love to live either there, Manitou Springs or Monument.

What I don't like is those Focus on the Family morons down there tainting the city.

No sh**t to that! I'd love to run for public office when I retire however I know that it would be a huge war between me and jack@$$ James Dobson.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »

The Springs doesn't really have any suburbs.

I'd still say Wildfield and Fountain but that is it. Even Fountain makes me take BRTD's side on suburbs.

There's a lot going on in the Springs though. I think all the military stuff down there is cool.

Absolutely! I hope to move back there and retire from the Army there. I'd love to live either there, Manitou Springs or Monument.

What I don't like is those Focus on the Family morons down there tainting the city.

No sh**t to that! I'd love to run for public office when I retire however I know that it would be a huge war between me and jack@$$ James Dobson.

Don't worry Mikey Mike, I have confidence you will show him who is the better man!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »

Woodland Park.  Manitou Springs.  Monument.

Teller County is part of the Colo Spgs metropolitan area for a reason.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2007, 01:40:51 AM »

SUBURBS!

Why isn't it growing as fast as El Paso County though?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2007, 03:31:21 AM »

SUBURBS!

Why isn't it growing as fast as El Paso County though?
Between 1990 and 2000 Teller County grew 65%, while El Paso County only grew 30%.  Since 2000, it has been slightly slower (7% vs. 9%).

Incidentally, since 2000, El Paso County exclusive of Colorado Springs has grown from 155K to 193K (25%), while within the city growth has only been 11%.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »

Monument is a suburb - I'll agree there.

Woodland Park would exisit without Colorado Springs because nobody wants to drive from W/P to C/S in the snow. That is a death march. Also, it is a 35-35 minute drive from C/S to W/P.

I'm going to diagree on you regarding Manitou Springs because the town would still be there without C/S. M/S is a tourist town for Pikes Peak and I can't think of anyone who lives there because of C/S. It is its own identity.

It's a great town and I'd suggest when one goes there to do the Manitou incline. It will kick your ass!

BLUF: All three are great places to live!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies