Are policy positions the main factor in choosing the candidate YOU want to support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are policy positions the main factor in choosing the candidate YOU want to support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are policy positions the main factor in choosing the candidate YOU want to support?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Are policy positions the main factor in choosing the candidate YOU want to support?  (Read 522 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2023, 05:54:11 PM »

Do you value policy positions most, or do you value something else above that?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 06:06:37 PM »

Generally speaking, yes, but being a force of nature (like Trump) is a benefit.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 06:13:30 PM »

Yes by far.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 07:16:01 PM »

By far, which is why I am supporting someone as vexing and (at times) infuriating as Trump.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »

No actually. I view voting for president as hiring someone for a job. The job of the president involves handling foreign policy, preserving/protecting/defending the US Constitution, and having massive influence over domestic policy and the courts. A stable, intelligent, rational, empathetic, good person is critical for this job. You have to meet these minimum job requirements for me to even consider voting for you. Trump is the exact opposite of all these things; thus, even if I agreed with him on policy, I would never vote for him. In an election like 2012, both candidates met the bare minimum standard for being able to do the basic job requirements of a president, so I could be more particular about who I thought had a better ideology and policy ideas and thus preferred Obama.

Ever since, however, the choice has been a complete no-brainer. It's like choosing between a candidate who shows up with an impeccable resume, years of experience, nails the interview, and has a kind and solid demeanor on the one hand; and an unhinged asshole who shows up to the interview late and drunk, spouts off incoherently in response to every question, has no experience and no respect on the other hand. The latter candidate would be crossed off the list swiftly when interviewing for a position as a McDonald's fry cook. The fact that there are otherwise smart, decent people in this country who are willing to hand the keys to the nuclear codes to such a person anyway (as evidenced by this thread; Sanchez and Aurelius are not idiots) is absolutely beyond my comprehension completely.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 07:58:59 PM »

No actually. I view voting for president as hiring someone for a job. The job of the president involves handling foreign policy, preserving/protecting/defending the US Constitution, and having massive influence over domestic policy and the courts. A stable, intelligent, rational, empathetic, good person is critical for this job. You have to meet these minimum job requirements for me to even consider voting for you. Trump is the exact opposite of all these things; thus, even if I agreed with him on policy, I would never vote for him. In an election like 2012, both candidates met the bare minimum standard for being able to do the basic job requirements of a president, so I could be more particular about who I thought had a better ideology and policy ideas and thus preferred Obama.

Ever since, however, the choice has been a complete no-brainer. It's like choosing between a candidate who shows up with an impeccable resume, years of experience, nails the interview, and has a kind and solid demeanor on the one hand; and an unhinged asshole who shows up to the interview late and drunk, spouts off incoherently in response to every question, has no experience and no respect on the other hand. The latter candidate would be crossed off the list swiftly when interviewing for a position as a McDonald's fry cook. The fact that there are otherwise smart, decent people in this country who are willing to hand the keys to the nuclear codes to such a person anyway (as evidenced by this thread; Sanchez and Aurelius are not idiots) is absolutely beyond my comprehension completely.

They probably hope that checks and balances would prevent ANY candidate from doing anything extremely stupid, such as starting a nuclear war.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 09:16:54 PM »

Definitely although the way one presents themselves is important too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 09:43:42 PM »

Usually, though a willingness to confront the enemy (or at least acknowledge them as the enemy) is also key, and part of why I'd prefer even someone like Gavin Newsom to Joe Biden as a nominee.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 10:23:29 PM »

Policy positions are why I choose the Democrats over the Republicans.

Electability and leadership are why I choose candidates in primaries.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »

sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 09:08:50 AM »

I choose whomever advances my goal of becoming a student debt-free homeowner with affordable health insurance and good PTO/sick leave before my first gray hair
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 06:40:44 PM »

Yes.
Sheikh Scott Walker
Raid Shadow Legends
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 12:14:03 AM »

My top priority is getting someone who can win. It doesn't matter how based someone's policy is if they can't win an election to implement it. With the current state of polarization, any Republican is far better than any Democrat, meaning that the main factor is simply their odds of winning.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2023, 03:39:12 PM »

I wish I could be this idealistic anymore, but now my main foremost criteria for supporting someone is who can best keep a Republican out of office.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies