Breaux not running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:06:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Breaux not running
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Breaux not running  (Read 4607 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »

Breaking news from the Baton Rouge Advocate.

Apparently, even the Democrat AG couldn't admit that Breaux was a citizen of LA:

Former U.S. Sen. John Breaux announced late Friday that he will not run for governor.

Breaux said in a statement that he does not want to be in a courtroom weeks before the election fighting a legal battle over his eligibility.

“For me to run now means that we would face a campaign based on an eligibility to run,” he said.

Attorney General Charles Foti declined Friday to give his legal opinion on whether Breaux is a “citizen” of Louisiana as candidates for statewide office are required to be.

Foti said that is a question that can only be answered by the courts.

Candidates have to sign up in September for the Oct. 20 race. So far, several Republicans — U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal of Kennever, state Sen. Walter Boasso of Arabi and New Orleans businessman John Georges — and Democrats Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell of Bossier Parish and the Rev. Raymond Brown of New Orleans are committed to running.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco is not seeking a second term.

Or it could be that, like what Quincy posted, Breaux has seen the polls and knows his butt will be handed to him this Fall.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 06:21:48 PM »

That's quite a shame.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »

How so? Jindal will be only the third Republican governor since Reconstruction if he is elected -- in that sense alone, he represents change that will be most welcome for the state.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »

How so? Jindal will be only the third Republican governor since Reconstruction if he is elected -- in that sense alone, he represents change that will be most welcome for the state.

From what I've seen of Jindal, he seems to be far-right. I'd much rather have the more moderate Breaux in there.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »

This has been a great month for me, YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 08:38:33 PM »

So will Jindal get 50% in the general election, and if not, who will be in the run off with him? At this point, the Democrats best bet is on Mitch Landrieu. If he were to win, hopefully he has better luck then the last Lt. Gov. to run for Gov. (Blanco). (I'm still support Boasso.)
RBH

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »

Boasso is either going to withdraw, or take the Hunt Downer award with his showing in October.

Mitch Landrieu is probably not a viable candidate to take out Jindal.

If Mitch runs, it wouldn't stun me if Boasso ran for Lt. Governor.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24:38 PM »

I introduce you to the 45th President of the United States:

It should be noted that I am not a fan of Jindal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:36:33 PM »

Dammit!  What a loser.  Just a big pussy, just like Mike Moore.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »

Its not like he didn't want to run. He just didn't want to have to deal with all the legal nonsense involved in getting on the ballot.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:31 PM »

Its not like he didn't want to run. He just didn't want to have to deal with all the legal nonsense involved in getting on the ballot.
Sounds like a convenient excuse to me.  He was down in the polls and wasn't man enough to face the challenge.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 11:59:18 PM »

Sounds like a convenient excuse to me.  He was down in the polls and wasn't man enough to face the challenge.

Why would he even want to bother going through the court system for several months just to be eligible for a race he would probably lose anyway?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 05:53:26 AM »

Well this is a shame, and if Mitch Landrieu runs that could hurt his sister next year as well.  I really fear what Jindal could do in Louisiana and America - I really hope he does not have national ambitions - the Republicans will desperately seize on him as an example of being inclusive. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 11:07:04 AM »

that is too bad.  i was looking forward to breaux being defeated.

that son of a bitch needs to be humbled.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »

Well this is a shame, and if Mitch Landrieu runs that could hurt his sister next year as well.  I really fear what Jindal could do in Louisiana and America - I really hope he does not have national ambitions - the Republicans will desperately seize on him as an example of being inclusive. 

I thought it would help his sister, because by Mitch losing to Jindal, Jindal could not run aganist Mary next year, eliminating a potential competitor.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »

I like Breaux but I wanted Jindal in this one.

I have to say that it was enjoyable seeing the Dems get so excited about Breaux and defending him on his residency issue which was clearly worse than Santorum's.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

Hahaha, Jindal isn't ever getting elected President.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »

I introduce you to the 45th President of the United States:

It should be noted that I am not a fan of Jindal.

Absolutely no way. Jindal is an ultra-right-winger; he'd lose worse than Brownback.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

I could respond to most of the comments in this thread, but I'll save my time.

This isn't the first time Breaux has flirted with running for Governor and not run, so it shouldn't be surprising he would do it again.  I suspect the AG's non-ruling (a correct decision, IMO) was the final straw, though I also suspect the polls were correct in saying that a race against Jindal would be tough and that probably soured him a little bit.

I don't really see what Santorum has to do with any of this (other than the BRTD/Keystone Phil circlejerk).  Pennsylvania residency requirements are rather relaxed, whereas Louisiana's are quite draconian.  If Santorum was in Louisiana, he might not be able to run either.

Lastly, "ultra-right wingers" and "ultra-left wingers" can win POTUS; it really depends on the circumstances of the election and the charisma/personality of the candidate.  In case you haven't Brownback has the charisma of a dead bull-frog and the circumstances in 2008 would lend themselves to an "ultra-left winger" winning POTUS over the other. (even though I doubt this will happen)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 01:11:51 PM »

I don't really see what Santorum has to do with any of this (other than the BRTD/Keystone Phil circlejerk).  Pennsylvania residency requirements are rather relaxed, whereas Louisiana's are quite draconian.  If Santorum was in Louisiana, he might not be able to run either.

The Santorum issue and the hypocrisy of most Dems here has plenty to do with this. Breaux had basically nothing to do with Louisiana for a few years now but his residency wasn't an issue for most Dems. Santorum, however, was a punching bag on his residency scandal. I'm just noting the hypocrisy, Sam.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »

The Santorum issue and the hypocrisy of most Dems here has plenty to do with this. Breaux had basically nothing to do with Louisiana for a few years now but his residency wasn't an issue for most Dems. Santorum, however, was a punching bag on his residency scandal. I'm just noting the hypocrisy, Sam.

Fair enough.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 01:39:06 PM »

However when Santorum was first elected to the House, he attacked Doug Walgren for living out of the district most of the time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »

However when Santorum was first elected to the House, he attacked Doug Walgren for living out of the district most of the time.

No. As Santorum explained time after time, his point with Walgren was that not only did he not live in the district, he hardly spent any time there. Santorum visited all 67 counties at least once a year.

Don't look now...

...but you just got owned.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »

No, I'd say the guy who got owned is the guy in the blue:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 01:47:21 PM »

No, I'd say the guy who got owned is the guy in the blue:

That's cute. I'll stay on topic. Thanks. I understand that sometimes these discussions can get a little rough on you, pal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies