Counties with over 100,000 residents that vote more than 60% for either party, 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:37:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Counties with over 100,000 residents that vote more than 60% for either party, 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties with over 100,000 residents that vote more than 60% for either party, 2020  (Read 1374 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2023, 03:13:16 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2023, 07:21:27 PM by CookieDamage »

Might have missed a few counties but yeah, really shows how vote-rich exurbs and outer suburbs are for the GOP, and why they are so competitive/dominant in states like Ohio, Texas, and NC.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 05:03:21 PM »

Definitely shows why NC has been such a tough nut to crack for federal Democrats.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »

Definitely shows why NC has been such a tough nut to crack for federal Democrats.

Right, the stretch from Catawba to Randolph alone nets the GOP 300k votes
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 07:23:27 PM »

The Dem version. Dem's dominate urban cores/inner suburbs, contrasting with the GOP dominance with outer suburbs and exurbs.

---
---
---

And here's one with both parties. And I'm assuming I missed a few lol.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 11:52:25 PM »

Challenged myself to recall the names of all these counties and county-equivalents from memory. This is what I got.

Ds:
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

108/123

Rs
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

78/153
*=I had to check to get it right
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 05:34:10 PM »

Crazy how Hillary got 60% in both Miami-Dade and Osceola counties in 2016 but Biden failed to do so in both
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 10:56:43 AM »

Might have missed a few counties but yeah, really shows how vote-rich exurbs and outer suburbs are for the GOP, and why they are so competitive/dominant in states like Ohio, Texas, and NC.
Many people think that Texas votes Republican because of rural areas. While yes, Texas has a lot of rural areas, and they are VERY Republican, they're also very sparsely populated, and the actual reason for the GOP's domination of the state is that it wins the exurban counties and those with small cities, and it doesn't even have to do so overwhelmingly.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 07:24:25 AM »

Many people think that Texas votes Republican because of rural areas. While yes, Texas has a lot of rural areas, and they are VERY Republican, they're also very sparsely populated, and the actual reason for the GOP's domination of the state is that it wins the exurban counties and those with small cities, and it doesn't even have to do so overwhelmingly.

Exactly. I don't have exact numbers but the DFW exurbs, Montgomery and Brazoria counties, and Tom Green, Lubbock, Potter, and Randall counties net tons of votes for the GOP.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 09:06:40 PM »

Trump netted 1,100,000 votes from the dark red counties, which comprise 3,800,000 million people altogether. If you took these counties out and left the remaining deep-red rural counties in, Texas would very narrowly vote blue by a 10,000 vote margin.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 09:24:17 PM »

If you took these counties out and left the remaining deep-red rural counties in, Texas would very narrowly vote blue by a 10,000 vote margin.

Yeah, even though the blue area includes the RGV, that's more than canceled out by suburban swings. Flipping Zapata but losing Tarrant and Williamson is a terrible trade for the GOP. Even if Trump becomes the first ever Republican to win Starr, there's a real chance Biden wins Collin and maybe even Denton.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 09:45:04 PM »

If you took these counties out and left the remaining deep-red rural counties in, Texas would very narrowly vote blue by a 10,000 vote margin.

Yeah, even though the blue area includes the RGV, that's more than canceled out by suburban swings. Flipping Zapata but losing Tarrant and Williamson is a terrible trade for the GOP. Even if Trump becomes the first ever Republican to win Starr, there's a real chance Biden wins Collin and maybe even Denton.

People very much overstate the importance of the RGV. It has 1.7 mil people (by a liberal definition), compared to 1.9 mil for Colin and Denton alone.  Throw in Tarrant, Williamson, Hays, and Fort Bend, that's 1.7 mil compared to 5.7 mil, all trending towards Dems.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 02:00:20 AM »

I’m guessing that Virginia’s screwy independent city system probably reduces some of the (non-Atlas) blue there?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 08:39:56 AM »

I’m guessing that Virginia’s screwy independent city system probably reduces some of the (non-Atlas) blue there?

Yes, effectively. There were a lot of very red counties that just missed the 100k pop because of independent cities that were also rather red.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 08:53:45 AM »

People very much overstate the importance of the RGV. It has 1.7 mil people (by a liberal definition), compared to 1.9 mil for Colin and Denton alone.  Throw in Tarrant, Williamson, Hays, and Fort Bend, that's 1.7 mil compared to 5.7 mil, all trending towards Dems.

Plus the RGV still actually does vote Democratic.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 05:40:02 PM »

I think I read on here that the Dem gains in Bexar alone cancelled out the GOP gains in the RGV
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 07:01:55 PM »

People very much overstate the importance of the RGV. It has 1.7 mil people (by a liberal definition), compared to 1.9 mil for Colin and Denton alone.  Throw in Tarrant, Williamson, Hays, and Fort Bend, that's 1.7 mil compared to 5.7 mil, all trending towards Dems.
RGV looks huge on a map. That plays into this.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 12:02:52 PM »

What about under 100,000 for Dems?

Surely it's not just ski country.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 12:25:41 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2023, 12:30:46 PM by Roll Roons »

A bunch of Black-majority counties in the South, a handful of Hispanic-majority ones on or near the border, some in New England and on the West Coast, some that are home to reservations, and probably at least a couple college town counties.
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 11:46:30 PM »

The first map is missing Lubbock. Also Taylor County (Abilene) and Gregg County (Longview).
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 01:23:51 PM »

The first map is missing Lubbock. Also Taylor County (Abilene) and Gregg County (Longview).

Good catch!
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2023, 11:40:56 PM »

In the process of making my own map, I noticed a few more that are missing from the first one:

-Calhoun County, AL
-Limestone County, AL
-Hanover County, VA
-Cecil County, MD
-Butler County, PA
-Lebanon County, PA
NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2023, 11:51:25 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2023, 06:00:35 PM by NorCalifornio »

Here's what I got:

Closeup of Virginia:

Honestly not as many as I expected. Unsurprisingly, most fall into the categories Roll Roons came up with. The independent cities of Virginia are well represented, which makes sense. Also difficult to see are Broomfield County, CO; Bristol County, RI; Newport County, RI; and San Juan County, WA.

Atlas doesn't have county-equivalent data for Alaska, but I'm sure some Native-majority census areas would make the cut.

EDIT: Can anybody see the images? Since I can't, here's the bare links, they seem to work:
Whole country: https://imgur.com/a/xqKAqf1
Virginia closeup: https://imgur.com/a/FL6Y7MC
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies