Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:21:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41
Author Topic: Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments  (Read 33341 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2023, 03:41:19 PM »

It got me thinking: Could the prosecution ask for Trump's testimony and would this even be a good move?

Yes, Trump could just take the Fifth and decline, but that's not his style, he probably would jump at the opportunity for more limelight. Except Trump would also have no qualms blatantly perjuring himself. He could be tried again for perjury after the fact, but is more trials and prolonging it what is wanted or ideal? For that reason I think it's probably best to just not ask him to testify at all.

The defense doing so would be downright idiotic from their standpoint, but since Trump probably doesn't care and if he ordered his lawyers to call him to the stand, that very well might end up happening.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2023, 03:57:55 PM »

One underrated aspect of this indictment is that, as I understand it, if Trump is convicted of the most serious charges here, he faces mandatory minimum jail time that he must start serving immediately and -cannot- be released pending appeal.

Definitely, that's also how CNN explained it. I just wonder what theoretically would happen if he's convicted after being inaugurated as president.

Rule of law take: His VP will take over as Acting President while Donald serves his sentence.

Failed state take: The President is above the law, Trump is free as long as he's President!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2023, 04:13:36 PM »

These people will need 24/7 protection from lunatic Trump supporters trying to kill or intimidate them.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2023, 04:31:27 PM »

Trump can do rallies while he's on trial. In 2016 he would regularly do rallies all over the country and go to bed in Trump Tower.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2023, 04:33:38 PM »

It got me thinking: Could the prosecution ask for Trump's testimony and would this even be a good move?

Yes, Trump could just take the Fifth and decline, but that's not his style, he probably would jump at the opportunity for more limelight. Except Trump would also have no qualms blatantly perjuring himself. He could be tried again for perjury after the fact, but is more trials and prolonging it what is wanted or ideal? For that reason I think it's probably best to just not ask him to testify at all.

The defense doing so would be downright idiotic from their standpoint, but since Trump probably doesn't care and if he ordered his lawyers to call him to the stand, that very well might end up happening.

They can't put him on the stand just to make the jury see him take the 5th. When it's the defense's turn the judge will ask him (with the jury out) if he wants to testify and remind him it's his right to testify or not.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2023, 04:36:26 PM »

They can't put him on the stand just to make the jury see him take the 5th. When it's the defense's turn the judge will ask him (with the jury out) if he wants to testify and remind him it's his right to testify or not.
My point is more that he probably wouldn't take the Fifth. But that wouldn't necessarily work in the prosecution's favor if he just blatantly perjures himself which he's perfectly willing to do.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2023, 07:13:12 PM »

What are the odds this gets moved to federal court?

For Trump, slim. For Meadows, a little better but not likely.
Who decides if its moved to federal court?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2023, 08:02:31 PM »

U.S. District Judge Steve Jones.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2023, 08:08:37 PM »

Wikipedia says he is an Obama appointee. So good?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2023, 08:34:22 PM »

I mean it's not going to really have an impact on the likelihood of a conviction, but the idea behind getting it moved to federal court is so that Trump (or a future Republican POTUS) can pardon him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2023, 08:37:30 PM »

I mean it's not going to really have an impact on the likelihood of a conviction, but the idea behind getting it moved to federal court is so that Trump (or a future Republican POTUS) can pardon him.

Even if the case is moved to federal court Trump will be tried based on Georgia law, so he still won't be able to pardon himself.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2023, 08:41:10 PM »

Wouldn't work.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2023, 08:46:48 PM »

The main motivation to move to federal court would be to get a more favorable jury pool. Instead of just Fulton County, the jury would be drawn from a much wider area of North Georgia.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2023, 10:28:35 PM »

But the person who decides if it  is moved to a federal court, an Obama appointee, probably wont right?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2023, 11:10:30 PM »

But the person who decides if it  is moved to a federal court, an Obama appointee, probably wont right?

Probably won't what? (But like BRTD said, I was wrong, this just changes the jury pool)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2023, 11:29:11 PM »

Probably won't what? (But like BRTD said, I was wrong, this just changes the jury pool)
Wont move the trial to federal court
Yoda
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2023, 01:25:42 AM »

These people will need 24/7 protection from lunatic Trump supporters trying to kill or intimidate them.

Quite possibly. I know it's an urban county but I also wonder how many of these grand jurors are still Southern country bumpkins at heart and are just itching at the thought of some militant MAGA terrorist coming to their property to harass them and they're just waiting there with a rifle. I'm no gun nut by any stretch but if I had just done my civilian duty serving on a grand jury and was facing genuine physical threats as a result I would have every relative with a gun over to my house at all hours. First trumper to set foot on my lawn and threaten me would learn them something real f***ing quick.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2023, 06:35:03 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2023, 06:44:08 AM »

To reiterate what has been mentioned above: if any of the trials are moved to federal court, they are still trials under STATE LAW.  The President CANNOT pardon anyone found guilty in them.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2023, 07:41:32 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2023, 07:46:27 AM »

Kemp isn't pardoning Trump if his own LT Gov testified against him he said it's strength to concede defeat the only reason why Trump cant say concede because he was never a politician and lost before

You only can pardon anyways except the Nixon example unless the Defense has been convicted there is no Conviction yet they are gonna let the criminal process play out
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2023, 07:46:34 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2023, 07:55:29 AM by Ferguson97 »

FYI everyone “x.com” tweet links don’t embed properly, you have to edit them to be twitter.com
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2023, 07:49:32 AM »

What about all those threats that GA officials had made to their lives he tried to steal it who cares what Trump says
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2023, 08:04:26 AM »

Kemp isn't pardoning Trump if his own LT Gov testified against him he said it's strength to concede defeat the only reason why Trump cant say concede because he was never a politician and lost before

You only can pardon anyways except the Nixon example unless the Defense has been convicted there is no Conviction yet they are gonna let the criminal process play out

You're right, Kemp isn't pardoning Trump.  But the reason is simple: in Georgia, the governor has no power to pardon.  It was taken away in a state constitutional amendment in 1943 following the indictment of Gov. E. D. Rivers for selling pardons, among other corruption charges.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2023, 08:17:38 AM »

You're right, Kemp isn't pardoning Trump.  But the reason is simple: in Georgia, the governor has no power to pardon.  It was taken away in a state constitutional amendment in 1943 following the indictment of Gov. E. D. Rivers for selling pardons, among other corruption charges.

How hard is it to add a constitutional amendment in Georgia?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies