Why is Trump still competitive against Biden after everything that's happened?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:40:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why is Trump still competitive against Biden after everything that's happened?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why is Trump still competitive against Biden after everything that's happened?  (Read 2198 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2023, 03:54:05 PM »

Let's see: COVID-19, Jan. 6, weekly controversies in the White House, 2 impeachments, 3 and soon-to-be 4 indictments, Russiagate, Puerto Rico, McCain ("I like people that weren't captured"), his hand in bringing down Roe v. Wade, 100% denying the election results of 2020, "fake electors", George Floyd/BLM riots, Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally, E. Jean Carroll case finding him liable for sexual abuse,  "Proud boys stand back and stand by", Ukraine call, classified documents and Mar-a-Lago raid...

....and a whole load of other stuff.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 03:56:58 PM »

Impeachments and January 6 doesn't affect people's lives. A poor economy does. Trump is the perfect candidate to make the election about the economy. Trump is also the candidate that will neutralize the salience of abortion the most.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 03:57:55 PM »

A lot of people love him not despite but because of all of those things. And the many indictments martyrize him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 04:04:03 PM »

Because waves happen with the female and minority and non Evangelical White male vote at end of campaign not begin really how is Trump gonna run a real campaign while on Trial he can do it big it's awkward
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 04:21:13 PM »

Because Biden's a senile, incompetent buffoon, he's just our senile, incompetent buffoon.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 04:32:26 PM »

Because Biden's a senile, incompetent buffoon, he's just our senile, incompetent buffoon.
Biden may appear senile but he is not a buffoon, and his team is certainly not incompetent.

However there is a strong nasty smell of fanatisism within his Administration that rubs people badly: Their obsession with Trump.

Biden can't adversise any of his achievements because they are obscured by their obsession to hunt down Trump, he's like the Captain from Moby Dick and Trump's the white wale.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 04:33:55 PM »

Biden may appear senile but he is not a buffoon, and his team is certainly not incompetent.

However there is a strong nasty smell of fanatisism within his Administration that rubs people badly: Their obsession with Trump.

Biden can't adversise any of his achievements because they are obscured by their obsession to hunt down Trump, he's like the Captain from Moby Dick and Trump's the white wale.
I don't remember Moby Dick running against Ahab twice in an election, but admittedly it's been a while.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 05:30:25 PM »

Impeachments and January 6 doesn't affect people's lives. A poor economy does. Trump is the perfect candidate to make the election about the economy. Trump is also the candidate that will neutralize the salience of abortion the most.

No.

A lot of delusion in this thread. The bottom line is that in our polarized environment, the GOP nominee is going to get at least 42-44% of the vote. There is a swing vote obviously, but just look at the GOP primary. These voters are *emboldened* after every new Trump indictment. A solid chunk of the country will vote for Trump/whoever the GOP nominee is no matter what.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 05:31:25 PM »

The answer frankly lies with Biden. If we had a younger, more dynamic president, I wouldn’t be even slightly worried about losing next year. I might even be predicting the biggest landslide since 1996. If we had a Harry Truman or even Bill Clinton/Barack Obama level fighter out there on the campaign trail railing against the GOP post-Dobbs, post-1/6, stirring up enthusiasm among younger voters and the base, this election wouldn’t be even remotely close. As it is I expect another nailbiter. I like Biden, but he simply doesn’t have the energy and passion and charisma needed to really sell your case to the public, not anymore anyway. That was fine when the message was “return to normalcy,” 1920 Harding style. But now we need a fighter to really eviscerate Trump and the Republicans and turn this election into a referendum on their most unpopular qualities, just like all three of the former presidents I previously mentioned did in their successful bids for a second term. I simply fear old Joe doesn’t have it in him, but I hope he proves me wrong.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 05:34:26 PM »

1. When democracy ends in this country after 250 years, I’d say that will indeed affect people’s lives.

2. The economy is not poor, we have record low unemployment and have avoided a major recession.

3. To the extent there are still problems with the economy, they are the direct fault of Donald Trump,
so how is he the perfect candidate to make the election about the economy?

4. Trump is literally the man who is directly responsible for overturning Roe, so how does he make abortion less salient?

Literally every word of this post is nonsense. How the hell are people recommending this drivel? If Trump wins, it will be for a similar reason: People are morons who have the memories and brains of goldfish.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 05:44:34 PM »

1. When democracy ends in this country after 250 years, I’d say that will indeed affect people’s lives.

2. The economy is not poor, we have record low unemployment and have avoided a major recession.

3. To the extent there are still problems with the economy, they are the direct fault of Donald Trump,

4. Trump is literally the man who is directly responsible for overturning Roe, so how does he make abortion less salient?

Literally every word of this post is nonsense. How the hell are people recommending this drivel? If Trump wins, it will be for a similar reason: People are morons who have the memories and brains of goldfish.

I am skeptical of the idea that Trump is competent enough to single-handedly end democracy, and I think that is apart of why people who aren’t hardcore Trump fanatics are willing to give him a second chance and don’t see an urge to vote Biden again. Trump is seen at worst as an insufferable Twitter troll rather than a dangerous demagogue to a lot of these swing voters.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 07:07:34 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2023, 07:54:23 PM by riverwalk3 »

The economy is poor because real wages have fallen. More pressingly, the fundamentals are very weak, with banks failing by the day, and tons more at risk due to unrealized losses from the high interest rates which will eventually cause a financial crisis.

Most of the economy's problems are a direct consequence of the low interest rates of the Fed dating up to 20 years ago, and Powell is now trying to deal with the inflation that arose as a consequence. However, in doing so, he has to jack up interest rates very high, which will cause a recession. It doesn't matter that Biden doesn't have much to do with it. He's in power when this is happening, so voters will associate it with Biden in their heads.
I am skeptical of the idea that Trump is competent enough to single-handedly end democracy, and I think that is apart of why people who aren’t hardcore Trump fanatics are willing to give him a second chance and don’t see an urge to vote Biden again. Trump is seen at worst as an insufferable Twitter troll rather than a dangerous demagogue to a lot of these swing voters.
You said it well here. If Trump were competent, I'd be scared of him, but he's not. Biden and DeSantis both really scare me because of how competent they are (Biden drained half the SPR; DeSantis's fight on Disney makes me uneasy).
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 07:45:03 PM »

The economy is poor because real wages have fallen. More pressingly, the fundamentals are very weak, with banks failing by the day, and tons more at risk due to unrealized losses from the high interest rates which will eventually cause a financial crisis.

Most of the economy's problems are a direct consequence of the low interest rates of the Fed dating up to 20 years ago, and Powell is now trying to deal with the inflation that arose as a consequence. However, in doing so, he has to jack up interest rates very high, which will cause a recession. It doesn't matter that Biden doesn't have much to do with it. He's in power when this is happening, so voters will associate it with Biden in their heads.
You said it well here. If Trump were competent, I'd be scared of him, but he's not.

I am not getting into all of this, but I absolutely must point out that there has not been a meaningful bank failure in like half a year, and there are few if any signs of bank contagion outside of those that were heavily invested in the tech sector, and with cryptocurrency nonsense in particular. I don't know how old you are, but as someone who was 19 during the 2008 market crash, I can assure you, this is nothing.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 07:50:06 PM »

You said it well here. If Trump were competent, I'd be scared of him, but he's not.

I am not getting into all of this, but I absolutely must point out that there has not been a meaningful bank failure in like half a year, and there are few if any signs of bank contagion outside of those that were heavily invested in the tech sector, and with cryptocurrency nonsense in particular. I don't know how old you are, but as someone who was 19 during the 2008 market crash, I can assure you, this is nothing.
PacWest Bancorp was about to fail just a few weeks ago; they had a merger to avoid it. Banks are going deeper and deeper underwater as their bond values drop, and eventually their housing collateral value drops too.

The 2008 market crash didn't feel like one for a long time too. GDP growth was 3.4% in Q2 2007 for example.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 08:19:00 PM »

Why would the man who ended Roe (and constantly brags about it) be the one to "neutralize" abortion as a salient issue?
Trump's brand is less reliant on abortion to define itself than other Rs. I don't think Trump can do it, but he's still more likely to be able to pull it off than, say, DeSantis. Trump makes the election a bit less about Religious Right hobbyhorses and more about trade and such...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 08:23:12 PM »

Trigger teh libs.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 08:55:08 PM »

It’s a mirage. This is not a competitive race. It only appears that way to generate ratings. The real race is between 6-8% nationally for Dems.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 09:14:59 PM »

It’s a mirage. This is not a competitive race. It only appears that way to generate ratings. The real race is between 6-8% nationally for Dems.
The polls show Biden and Trump within 1 in the popular vote.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 09:15:52 PM »

The media wants a horserace.

Biden cruising to reelection is bad for business.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 09:54:03 PM »

Which is exactly what 2020 was supposed to be,before it ended up being just north of 2012.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 09:58:11 PM »

Because half the country are Nazis.
VALibertarian
LordPhantasm8
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 09:58:37 PM »

Not saying this won't be the case as we get closer but as of right now with the data we have this is just a false statement.
Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2023, 10:01:51 PM »

Here's hoping.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2023, 10:11:27 PM »

The fundamentals and the actual votes to come in will favor democrats by a mile. Bank on it.  The gop has no ground game where they actually need it.

No one should be worried about a trump victory. People need to stop hyperventilating.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2023, 10:14:16 PM »

The fundamentals and the actual votes to come in will favor democrats by a mile. Bank on it.  The gop has no ground game where they actually need it.

No one should be worried about a trump victory. People need to stop hyperventilating.
The fundamentals favor Republicans by a mile. Poor economy, low approval ratings, etc. Trump will underperform fundamentals, but probably not by enough to lose.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies