Do Republicans generally have "stronger" accents than Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Do Republicans generally have "stronger" accents than Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Republicans generally have "stronger" accents than Democrats?  (Read 933 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2023, 09:17:04 AM »

NOTE: By "stronger" accent, I mean an accent that differs from that of General American English.

It is a well-known fact that Republicans generally live in rural areas and that Democrats generally live in urban areas. Because of the increased diversity and larger population of most urban areas, people who live in cities tend to have a General American accent. However, since rural areas are often less diverse and less densely-populated than urban areas, local accents persist.

In my experience in the South, for instance, it is much more common to see stereotypical Southern accents in rural areas of the South than in urban areas of the South. Does this translate to politics? Do Republicans, who generally live in rural areas, have stronger accents than Democrats, who generally live in urban areas?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 09:41:59 AM »

No way, because recent immigrants are decidedly Dem leaning.  The Southern accent is perhaps the one exception, but it's swamped by practically every other strongly accented community leaning Dem.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 12:36:19 PM »

Democrats are more non-White and non-White Americans have stronger accents, so no. 
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 02:59:34 PM »

No.

Tri-state, New England, Upper Midwest, Rio Grande, Black Belt, etc.

Also, places like Atlanta, New Orleans and Charleston are very much "Southern"
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 08:08:03 PM »

Probably not, although I wonder if at some point considering educational/class shifts this becomes the case. Regional accents are more prominent among the working class of all races, while the well-off often have a generic, similar accent.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 05:25:47 AM »

No way, because recent immigrants are decidedly Dem leaning.  The Southern accent is perhaps the one exception, but it's swamped by practically every other strongly accented community leaning Dem.
Some white non Southern rural people have adopted Southernisms on purpose, especially if they lean R.
kwabbit

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »

Among Whites definitely. It's likely stratified by educational attainment. Even if places like New England, the stronger the accent, the less likely they are among the UMC professional class, the more likely they are Republicans.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 01:21:03 PM »

I’ve actually noticed this sorta “racial ambiguous liberal women” accent a lot of women in congress, especially the house.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »

Probably not, although I wonder if at some point considering educational/class shifts this becomes the case. Regional accents are more prominent among the working class of all races, while the well-off often have a generic, similar accent.

That would seem to indicate that DEMOCRATS would have "stronger" (i.e. less generic) accents than Republicans.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 09:25:19 PM »

Among Whites definitely. It's likely stratified by educational attainment. Even if places like New England, the stronger the accent, the less likely they are among the UMC professional class, the more likely they are Republicans.

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 11:20:15 PM »

Resident linguist just gonna pop in and point out y’all all have accents
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 11:23:48 PM »

I know, which is why I put "stronger" in quotes. General American accent is still an accent, even if it is pretty generic.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »

I know, which is why I put "stronger" in quotes. General American accent is still an accent, even if it is pretty generic.

Depends on who you are. To me a person from Boston has a strong accent but a person whose never left Boston doesn’t realize it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 12:16:21 PM »

My mother apparently has an audible Eastern European accent and I never knew until someone outside the family pointed it out.

However I don’t have the accent that supposedly exists somehow. Funny how that works.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 08:40:41 PM »

That would seem to indicate that DEMOCRATS would have "stronger" (i.e. less generic) accents than Republicans.
I agree
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2023, 03:43:25 PM »

This seems like an awful lot of conjecture.  The assertion this forum takes for granted that a White Democrat is more likely to be more well off than a White Republican is complete nonsense.
kwabbit

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2023, 03:46:25 PM »

This seems like an awful lot of conjecture.  The assertion this forum takes for granted that a White Democrat is more likely to be more well off than a White Republican is complete nonsense.

60% or so of White Democrats have a degree while only about 1/3 of White Republicans do. It’s not conjecture it’s the obvious conclusion based on election results.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 12:15:09 PM »

Only if you use the Hollywood "Southern/Country" vs "Generic/Urban" spectrum, with tons of non-Southern regressives purposefully going Southern  and tons of Southerners [most infamously Stephen Colbert] purposefully going "Generic".

Otherwise no, not really.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies