Supreme Court blocks Purdue Pharma Settlement, will hear case next year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:28:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court blocks Purdue Pharma Settlement, will hear case next year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court blocks Purdue Pharma Settlement, will hear case next year  (Read 1393 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2023, 05:25:06 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-puts-purdue-pharma-bankruptcy-deal-hold-rcna98148

The Supreme Court put the bankruptcy reorganization of opioid maker Purdue Pharma on hold Thursday, granting an emergency request from the Biden administration that raised objections about a provision that protects the Sackler family from liability for lawsuits.

The justices, in a brief order with no dissenting votes noted, blocked an appeals court decision that allowed the bankruptcy to move forward. As part of the deal, the Sackler family, which controlled the company, had agreed to pay $6 billion that could be used to settle opioid-related claims but only in return for a complete release from any liability in future cases.

The court also agreed to take up the government's appeal, meaning it will hear oral arguments in December and likely issue a ruling early next year.

The legal question raised is whether the bankruptcy court had the authority to release the Sackler family members from the claims being made by opioid victims.

I'm thinking this'll be 5-4 in favor of the Biden Administration, with two of the conservatives (probably Roberts and Coney Barrett) joining the liberals here. There's an outside possibility of Kavanaugh also joining them as well, I suppose.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 11:38:53 PM »

The sacklers should be hanged, drawn and quartered on the National Mall
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 06:38:38 AM »

I'd be OK with just public crucifixion right in the center of the reflection pool myself.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 03:10:54 PM »

I'd be OK with just public crucifixion right in the center of the reflection pool myself.

A Golden Bough/Wicker Man/Yellowjackets-style ritual hunt of the homo sacer king-victim followed by religiously sanctioned torture-murder would be my go-to, but your ideas are good as well!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies