What music genre fans are the LEAST likely to use marijuana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:44:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What music genre fans are the LEAST likely to use marijuana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What music genre fans are the LEAST likely to use marijuana?  (Read 897 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2023, 11:18:12 PM »

The initial assumption would probably be country, but there's plenty of evidence that's not true, I know that the first major music fest in Minnesota after it legalized selling THC edibles and beverages basically everywhere was a country one, and the THC product vendors who set up booths there reported massive sales. And if you think Christian...well you aren't familiar with the Furnace Fest Community, LOL. Nor have you attended and smelled the inside of a venue of a Christian hardcore show.

I'm going to guess maybe jazz? I can't see many people sneaking in pot to a jazz club.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 06:19:46 AM »

Classical I guess. Not jazz, jazz is great drug music.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 09:21:27 AM »

I'm going to guess maybe jazz? I can't see many people sneaking in pot to a jazz club.
IIRC, marijuana was initially popularized in jazz clubs during Prohibition, so I very much doubt it. It's got to be either classical or maybe Gospel or Contemporary Christian (not what you listen to, but the anodyne stuff that's generally played on Christian music stations).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:27:13 AM »

Is straightedge a musical subgenre, or just a cultural subgrouping?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 11:31:51 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2023, 11:36:06 AM by KNOCKED LOOSE MOTHERF[INKS]ER »

Is straightedge a musical subgenre, or just a cultural subgrouping?
The latter, although there is kind of a sound to straightedge hardcore that's distinct from other hardcore. That's because straightedge bands are often directly influenced by early straightedge bands like Youth of Today. There's also a distinct sound to Christian hardcore as well for similar reasons.

Even if I didn't already know, I could tell you this band is straight edge just because of the sound, and the style of the album cover art and fonts:

NorCalifornio
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 01:03:29 PM »

The initial assumption would probably be country, but there's plenty of evidence that's not true, I know that the first major music fest in Minnesota after it legalized selling THC edibles and beverages basically everywhere was a country one, and the THC product vendors who set up booths there reported massive sales. And if you think Christian...well you aren't familiar with the Furnace Fest Community, LOL. Nor have you attended and smelled the inside of a venue of a Christian hardcore show.

I've never been more certain that a person has no experience whatsoever with jazz, lol.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 01:21:58 PM »

Far too few recognize the power of combining extensive drug abuse with classical music.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:31:45 PM »

Christian Music
cvparty
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 10:21:14 PM »

kids music (hopefully…)
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 03:40:24 AM »

Fans of these bands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_straight_edge_bands
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 09:40:44 AM »

lol lmao lol
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 10:00:06 AM »

K-pop
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 05:44:09 PM »

Definitely contemporary Christian.  Among secular genres, maybe country music that doesn't appeal to the "frat bro"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 05:50:04 PM »

Definitely contemporary Christian.  Among secular genres, maybe country music that doesn't appeal to the "frat bro"?
Again THC sellers reportedly made huge profits at a country fest here. I'm obviously not familiar with the lineup but I really doubt it was entirely "bro country".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 05:53:04 PM »

Kind of covered already, that's not a genre per se but yesterday I attended a show that was all straight edge bands* and still saw plenty of people with beer cans or carrying dimebags or edibles.

*there was a band that dropped though but two of the members came anyway and both were drinking beers, so clearly not a straight edge band. No clue if they use weed though.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »

Again THC sellers reportedly made huge profits at a country fest here. I'm obviously not familiar with the lineup but I really doubt it was entirely "bro country".

The sorts of people going to a music festival of any form are very different from the more casual listeners of that genre.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 12:08:01 AM »

I know plenty of country folk who smoke weed, heck many grow it
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 12:25:07 AM »

Country Music that doesn't Appeal to frat bro tends to be stuff that's closer to the ole "americana" label and by its very nature is more about taking drugs.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 05:38:20 AM »

South Korea has draconian anti-drug laws.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »

Read the thread title again
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:40 AM »

Come to think of it classic country fans might be the answer to this...considering that one of the staples of that is Merle Haggard and "Okie from Muskogee"
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2023, 11:35:34 PM »

Come to think of it classic country fans might be the answer to this...considering that one of the staples of that is Merle Haggard and "Okie from Muskogee"
Willie Nelson is a contemporary of Merle Haggard.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2023, 05:14:25 AM »

Kpop fans in Western countries are probably in the middle of the pack. I think Black Southern Gospel Music fans, especially older ones, are not likely to smoke pot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »

Come to think of it, ER might have a point, and that die-hard fans of any music genre and who are likely to attend events and fests are more likely than casual fans of any genre.

Fests are basically giant parties with a festive (that's literally where the word comes from!) atmosphere, so they're known for lots of drinking and drug use. Never been to a country concert but what I've seen shows they tend to also be very party-like in atmosphere. Some middle-aged woman who just likes to listen to country radio while she drives or does chores obviously isn't the most likely candidate to be a marijuana user (unless she has a medical condition but we're kind of excluding that), and that's probably true even for one who prefers to listen to classic rock radio.

I can assure you though that this applies to Christian fests too, especially with the stories I've heard from Cornerstone. Plus Christian artists play at the same venues secular ones do. The Triple Rock once hosted Brooke Fraser from Hillsong despite as sleazy of an atmosphere as it had, First Avenue has also hosted Christian artists and they sell THC drinks now (just like the Triple Rock obviously would if it was still open), and these venues obviously aren't going to stop selling their drinks (how they make most of their money) at these. Plus it's not really super uncommon for evangelicals to use marijuana, not all are fundamentalist types who also are anti-any drinking of course, is it really shocking that some congregant at a casual megachurch might enjoy winding back with a joint at times just like with a beer? That's like being shocked that there are evangelicals that have sex outside of marriage like Nancy Mace. Plus marijuana is nowhere near as big of a deal to conservative Christians as abortion or being LGBT, even Matt Walsh (yes I know he's Catholic but that's why I said "conservative Christians" rather than "evangelicals" here) has said he supports legalizing marijuana and doesn't really care if people use it in moderation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies