What are the most heavily Catholic->Protestant and converts to Catholicism areas in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What are the most heavily Catholic->Protestant and converts to Catholicism areas in the US?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the most heavily Catholic->Protestant and converts to Catholicism areas in the US?  (Read 492 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2023, 10:46:37 PM »

This is something I was thinking of because while it's easy to ID the most Catholic and Protestant areas, this isn't so simple to easily demographically pin down. And both groups are large enough to have a lot of variation by counties, even converts to Catholicism are thought of as rare but most estimates put the percentage of the population at around 2-2.5%, aka more than Jews or Muslims. They might not be as concentrated as those groups, and neither are ex-Catholic Protestants, but they obviously aren't completely evenly distributed either.

Now for Catholic->Protestant you need an area with a large Catholic population to begin with obviously. It also would likely be an area that's still relatively religious. And there's a very obvious demographic for this: Latinos. So I'm going to go ahead and say that the county this applies to the most has to be one of the Rio Grande Valley ones. It has all the factors, and urban Latino Protestants tend to be either Central American immigrants who already were evangelical before immigrating or often at least born to parents who converted, the RGV seems like it wouldn't have many Protestant immigrants since there aren't many in that part of Mexico but does have a fast growing Protestant population in general...seems like an obvious pick.

Converts to Catholicism is a lot more difficult. It obviously wouldn't be an area where Catholics are rare, that's unlikely to attract converts in the first place. Yet if it's too Catholic then there's not much of a pool for converts. And demographically Catholic converts seem to be a sort of bookish intellectual-sounding educated conservative, like Matt Walsh and a lot of National Review writers. That's not a demographic obviously that's statistically notable anywhere, but the basic template is replicable. So I think if you were to take all of those factors together and look for the region that epitomizes them all the best...the answer is probably the Milwaukee suburbs. WOW is one of the most educated Republican strongholds in America, it's neither plurality Catholic or a place with almost none of them, and just sort of fits all the bullet points at least decently, something which I struggle to come up with another area that does.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »

I agree the archetypal convert into Catholicism is going to be someone highly educated and conservative-leaning.  Intellectual postgrad conservatives are probably most dominant in certain enclaves around DC, so,I would guess the closest remaining reddish precincts to DC in NOVA..  I'm envisioning someone from either an agnostic libertarian or rural hardcore Calvinist background who gets converted while attending Georgetown Law.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 11:41:38 PM »

I agree the archetypal convert into Catholicism is going to be someone highly educated and conservative-leaning.  Intellectual postgrad conservatives are probably most dominant in certain enclaves around DC, so,I would guess the closest remaining reddish precincts to DC in NOVA..  I'm envisioning someone from either an agnostic libertarian or rural hardcore Calvinist background who gets converted while attending Georgetown Law.
That actually also makes sense, since even the Republicans in such an area are pretty educated.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 12:05:40 AM »

This is almost exactly me. I come from a hardcore Calvinist background (albeit not entirely rural) and attended Georgetown Law, and while I didn't convert there, I was influenced by Catholic friends I met there to begin a process which has ultimately led to me signing up for OCIA (formerly RCIA) this fall. I知 not 100% committing to anything yet, but there is a chance I値l be officially Catholic by this time next year. Also a chance I値l be resolutely against ever converting. We値l see. I知 just approaching the process with an open mind.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 12:54:32 AM »

This is almost exactly me. I come from a hardcore Calvinist background (albeit not entirely rural) and attended Georgetown Law, and while I didn't convert there, I was influenced by Catholic friends I met there to begin a process which has ultimately led to me signing up for OCIA (formerly RCIA) this fall. I知 not 100% committing to anything yet, but there is a chance I値l be officially Catholic by this time next year. Also a chance I値l be resolutely against ever converting. We値l see. I知 just approaching the process with an open mind.
You're a lawyer?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 01:04:19 AM »

You're a lawyer?

I attended Georgetown Law. I never said I was a lawyer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 01:07:18 AM »

You're a lawyer?

I was going to say you're the first person I've met who went to law school and isn't a lawyer* but then remembered that Vosem became a software engineer of all things.

*The guy who founded Trustkill and then Bullet Tooth Records would qualify but I've never personally met him, even online.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 01:12:07 AM »

You're a lawyer?

I was going to say you're the first person I've met who went to law school and isn't a lawyer* but then remembered that Vosem became a software engineer of all things.

*The guy who founded Trustkill and then Bullet Tooth Records would qualify but I've never personally met him, even online.

I never said I wasn稚 a lawyer either.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 06:57:36 AM »

You're a lawyer?

I never said I wasn稚 a lawyer either.

The way you are replying to BRTD is extremely lawyer-esque (on purpose, I imagine).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies