Will we have another POTUS who had no prior public sector experience?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:59:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will we have another POTUS who had no prior public sector experience?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will we have another POTUS who had no prior public sector experience?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Will we have another POTUS who had no prior public sector experience?  (Read 1027 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2023, 09:51:41 PM »

Before Trump, every single POTUS has had experience working in the public sector, whether as a politician (like most) or in the military (like Washington and Eisenhower). Trump did not work in the public sector before he became POTUS, which allowed him to prop up the image of an "outsider".

Will this happen again? If so, when? Will it be in the near future or the distant future?
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 11:24:12 PM »

W. Bush's public sector experience was so token I'm not sure if it really counts. He would never have been Governor with having his father in the White House.

Anyway, I think the answer is probably yes, but mostly likely it'll be a long time before that happens again post-Trump.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 08:20:22 PM »

W. Bush's public sector experience was so token I'm not sure if it really counts. He would never have been Governor with having his father in the White House.

Anyway, I think the answer is probably yes, but mostly likely it'll be a long time before that happens again post-Trump.

At least Bush had some military experience too.
TheHegemonist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 01:09:51 PM »

With all the "celebrity CEOs" in the tech sector, I would not be surprised if one became President. I think that if Musk were eligible he'd be a presidential contender.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 05:32:52 PM »

Possibly, since that seems to be the recent preference of Republican primary voters.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 05:38:46 PM »

Possibly, since that seems to be the recent preference of Republican primary voters.
Their top two picks are a former President (Donald Trump) and a current governor and former Congressional representative (Ron DeSantis).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 05:42:16 PM »

Their top two picks are a former President (Donald Trump) and a current governor and former Congressional representative (Ron DeSantis).

Well, we're talking about the future, right? Nobody is really sure who takes up the mantle of Trumpism if he finally decides to stop running for President, but just as he had an allure to them in 2016 as an outsider, I think the same can happen again in a cycle some time fairly soon.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 05:45:06 PM »

Well, we're talking about the future, right? Nobody is really sure who takes up the mantle of Trumpism if he finally decides to stop running for President, but just as he had an allure to them in 2016 as an outsider, I think the same can happen again in a cycle some time fairly soon.
You said "most recent preference", so I thought you were talking about the present. In that case, the majority of the GOP still wants Trump.

But in 2024, I could see Ramaswamy getting the GOP nomination and winning the Presidency, especially after a second Biden term.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 09:48:53 PM »

I know that this is very far out, but Mr. Beast apparently has some interest in running for President
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 01:06:35 AM »

God I hope not.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 06:02:41 AM »

Yes and I don't think it'll be that long
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 07:25:59 PM »

He would never have been president either without his father in the White House...

I don't think it's that unlikely we have another "outsider" president. The GOP establishment is incredibly weak and has no idea so any billionaire who has designs on the presidency can make it pretty far in a primary (see: Trump, Vivek). Not inconceivable that another person, perhaps somewhat smarter than Trump, can make it through.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »

Republicans have nominated several other businessmen and generals who never held elected office.  I'm inclined to say yes. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 07:47:27 PM »

Presidents have been elected from all sorts of backgrounds.  To imply there's something unifying about the experiences of Buchanan, Taft, Hoover and Eisenhower, for example, is kinda pushing it.
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 02:21:18 PM »

Had he still been the nominee, W Bush undoubtedly would have won the Texas gubernatorial elections of 1994 and 1998 even if Bush 41 had never been president, even if only considering a) that Clinton was the incumbent president and the natural wave-election tendency of the American midterms, b) the demographic changes and resultant political direction that Texas was undergoing at the time, and c) the overall political mood of America in the 1990s. The real question is whether W would have won the Republican nomination for governor of Texas (or even ran for it at all) if his father had never been president.

Also, being twice elected and serving six years as the governor of the second-largest state in the country - with a population and gross domestic product larger than those of most fully independent sovereign states, and with the most crude oil production of all US states, and directly bordering the foreign country which provides the highest number of immigrants to the United States and the highest number of overall border crossings on a yearly basis - is hardly "token" when it comes to political experience.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 11:01:55 AM »

I think so.

Republicans want outsiders right now. Bush and Romney ran on business experience. Steve Forbes and Herman Cain got attention during primaries. It seemed to be Tucker Carlson's goal.

And let's not pretend that Democrats would reject the right outsider. If Oprah Winfrey were running, she'd be a major contender.

It's easier than ever for people to have platforms that can be used to launch presidential bids.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies