Most conservative state in the country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:13:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most conservative state in the country
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
Alabama

Arkansas

Idaho

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

Nebraska

North Dakota

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Utah

West Virginia

Wyoming

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Most conservative state in the country  (Read 818 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2023, 10:12:43 PM »

What is the most conservative state in the country? Most conservative does not necessarily mean most Republican.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 10:42:35 PM »

Def between LA, MS, and AL imo. All 3 lack anything remotely close to liberal suburbs anywhere and Ds base is heavily dependent on black voters, many of whom are more conservative.

I would first eliminate Louisiana due to New Orleans having some small pokcets of white liberals in the city center and just generally being quite a progressive city known for having culture and LGBTQ stuff.

Between AL and MS, I would choose MS just because Alabama has more cities, and cities such as Huntsville and Birmingham are seeing some degree of industry and population growth; the only notable city Mississippi has is Jackson which is extremely racially polarized and has generally been on the decline.

So Mississippi, even if it tends to vote less R than many of it's southern neighbors.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:06:47 AM »

Idaho.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 12:08:02 AM »

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 12:18:43 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2023, 12:28:33 PM by Anthropogenic-Statism »

Wyoming. I can see why some people would say Idaho though. It's pretty much a question of whether Boise or Cheyenne is more conservative and whether rural Idaho or Wyoming outweigh their cities. About 7% more Idahoans than Wyomingites are urban and Boise's MSA is at least 7 times larger than Cheyenne's, not to mention about 3% more Wyomingites than Idahoans are "highly religious" according to Pew in 2016, so to me it's no competition. Conservatism doesn't necessarily have to correlate with Republican voting, but in Wyoming's case it happens to. The South may be more religious, but it's not as individualist and more accepting of diversity (could never test this but the Mountain West would probably respond to demographics like the South's very poorly).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 01:36:22 PM »

It's pretty much a question of whether Boise or Cheyenne is more conservative and whether rural Idaho or Wyoming outweigh their cities.

Boise proper is now Democratic, I don't think Cheyenne is.

On the other hand, rural Idaho is probably more right-wing than rural Wyoming.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 03:54:15 PM »

Wyoming.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 05:54:03 AM »

It's pretty much a question of whether Boise or Cheyenne is more conservative and whether rural Idaho or Wyoming outweigh their cities.

Boise proper is now Democratic, I don't think Cheyenne is.

On the other hand, rural Idaho is probably more right-wing than rural Wyoming.
Lots of Mormons in that state.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 09:08:19 PM »

Tbh South Dakota is up there now thanks to King Corn beneficiaries projecting onto welfare queens. Any agricultural solidarity from the 80s which bore Senate Majority Leader prairie #populist Purple heart Tom Daschle has since been extinguished by post-2016 trendz.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 03:38:57 PM »

Def between LA, MS, and AL imo. All 3 lack anything remotely close to liberal suburbs anywhere and Ds base is heavily dependent on black voters, many of whom are more conservative.

I would first eliminate Louisiana due to New Orleans having some small pokcets of white liberals in the city center and just generally being quite a progressive city known for having culture and LGBTQ stuff.

Between AL and MS, I would choose MS just because Alabama has more cities, and cities such as Huntsville and Birmingham are seeing some degree of industry and population growth; the only notable city Mississippi has is Jackson which is extremely racially polarized and has generally been on the decline.

So Mississippi, even if it tends to vote less R than many of it's southern neighbors.

This reads like you think (A) culture is inherently conservative and (B) declining cities are inherently conservative.  The first one is ironic given many on the right are a lot more adamant about defending traditional aspects of our country's culture, and the second one just seems to wreak of a weird bias.  You want to see a declining city?  Go to Gary, Indiana or Flint, Michigan ... they're not conservative, lol.

Using the OP's prompt, a state that has communitarian leanings is fundamentally less conservative than one that is less that way, regardless of how Republican each state is.  My answer is Wyoming.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies