NC precincts by most common non-NC state of birth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:13:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  NC precincts by most common non-NC state of birth
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC precincts by most common non-NC state of birth  (Read 862 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2023, 10:05:04 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2024, 01:49:23 AM by Sol »

Usually don't make random threads for Twitter maps, but this was too interesting to not share:

(going off of voter reg. data, so biased in all the usual ways)

Some interesting patterns:
-You get an expected borders effect for VA, SC and to a certain extent GA. I wonder if the relative strength of this effect in different areas might be related to the location of the nearest hospital.
-New York seems to be the most common in-migration in parts of NC not on state borders, which makes sense as a large east coast state which has been losing people for a while. You can tell that NE NC or the parts of the Piedmont further away from Charlotte don't get many new people because they have Virginia rather than NYC, even far from the border.
-The Floridian influence on Western North Carolina is very obvious if you've lived in that part of the country but might surprise people from elsewhere. Conversely, TN has a much weaker border effect than you'd expect, due to the Floridians. Florida/New York vs. other states is a pretty good measure of "tourist penetration" in most counties, though Avery is a bit of a converse to that rule.
-Military bases look like America, which is plurality Californian.
-South Carolina is very well represented in Black neighborhoods of several Piedmont cities -- sign of them being more attractive destinations for Black people from SC perhaps? It's interesting though that this would obtain for Winston-Salem and High Point but not Greensboro or the Triangle (though that's less surprising).
-On the flip side, several rich old money white urban areas are more Virginian (and South Carolinian). I assume this is in large part due to these wealthier areas having less new/affordable housing stock. A lot of these places are more "old money southern" than newer built suburbs which look similar in SES but are culturally way less southern and traditionally minded.
-You can see the traces of secondary migration of immigrant communities in several rural areas. Several heavily Latino areas have Texas, Florida, or California, while in Hickory area the influence of the Hmong community gives California in a few precincts. I think the Florida in Sampson and Duplin counties may also be due to the Haitian Community working in nearby Mount Olive, though I'm not sure.
-Two HBCU precincts have Maryland, which makes sense as an answer to the question "Where would people attending an NC HBCU from out of state come from?"
-No clue what's going on in Mitchell, Yancey, or Alexander counties.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 10:11:07 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2023, 10:15:25 PM by Forumlurker »

Michiganders are literally colonizing Mitchell County.

As for Colorado, we are also trying to take over Yancey County but a bit less successfully. Resistance from the locals has been difficult, we must civilize these savages!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 11:40:20 PM »

I saw this in twitter. Why do so many Floridians (flat landers) move to the mountains? I do find the South Carolina exclave in the black area of Charlotte, Greensboro, and High Point really interesting.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 12:00:36 AM »

I saw this in twitter. Why do so many Floridians (flat landers) move to the mountains? I do find the South Carolina exclave in the black area of Charlotte, Greensboro, and High Point really interesting.

Nearest relatively cool area in the summer, plus lots of attractive natural amenities. It's basically the place where people from Florida buy summer homes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 08:40:36 AM »

Michigan and Colorado have to be bad data issues, no?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 11:58:56 AM »

Gotta be, but I'm tempted to start up a business bringing Vernors to Mitchell County just to find out. (It's even mostly a dry county, so they must drink a lot of pop!)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 01:17:21 PM »

Gotta be, but I'm tempted to start up a business bringing Vernors to Mitchell County just to find out. (It's even mostly a dry county, so they must drink a lot of pop!)

They’re both very small counties so I wouldnt be surprised if there’s some kinda change migration happening here like Liberty County, Florida that’s over 10% mormon.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 04:29:02 PM »

They’re both very small counties so I wouldnt be surprised if there’s some kinda change migration happening here like Liberty County, Florida that’s over 10% mormon.

Yeah and both are also quite insular, so a very minor factor could be the cause. Mitchell County is historically and presently a mining area, as well as home to a Bombardier manufacturing facility, so either of those could explain Michigan. My guess for Yancey is something to do with either Montreat College or resort-related industries, though those seem weak.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 10:20:10 AM »

Wonder what's up with that cluster of WV precincts in the northwest of the state. It's big enough that there's probably something real and not just random noise.

I also wonder how this was calculated. Would be interesting to see for other states too.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 08:16:02 PM »

Surprised how many rural areas are NY
Kali Redcoat
Rookie
United States
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 11:55:26 PM »

Surprised that so much of rural North Carolina is from New York. Is that older people migrating? I expected they'd just cluster around cities and the research triangle.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »

Surprised that so much of rural North Carolina is from New York. Is that older people migrating? I expected they'd just cluster around cities and the research triangle.

It's less a New York specific migration and more just generally large numbers of outside transplants, New York happening to be large nearby-ish state and thus providing the largest share. The rural areas that have New York are mostly on the fringes of metro areas and so get some exurban growth, or are attractive places to move to for one reason or another (Craven County, Moore County, the various beach communities).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 09:11:56 PM »

Rep. Virginia Foxxx was born in the Bronx.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies