Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Bill of 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:01:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Bill of 2007  (Read 5844 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:21:04 AM »

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the 'Atlasian Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS PARTICIPATION ACT.

(a) Repeal- The United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (Public Law 79-264; 22 U.S.C. 287 et seq.) is repealed.

(b) Termination of Participation in United Nations- The President shall terminate all participation by Atlasia in the United Nations, and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations.

(c) Closure of Atlasia Mission to United Nations- Atlasia Mission to the United Nations is closed. Any remaining functions of such office shall not be carried out.

SEC. 3. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS AGREEMENT ACT.

(a) Repeal- The United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act (Public Law 80-357) is repealed.

(b) Withdrawal- Atlasia withdraws from the agreement between Atlasia and the United Nations regarding the headquarters of the United Nations (signed at Lake Success, New York, on June 26, 1947, which was brought into effect by the United Nations Headquarters Agreement Act).

SEC. 4. ATLASIAN ASSESSED AND VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE UNITED NATIONS.

(a) Termination- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for assessed or voluntary contributions of Atlasia to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, except that funds may be appropriated to facilitate withdrawal of Atlasian personnel and equipment. Upon termination of Atlasia membership, no payments shall be made to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, out of any funds appropriated prior to such termination or out of any other funds available for such purposes.

(b) Application- The provisions of this section shall apply to all agencies of the United Nations, including independent or voluntary agencies.

SEC. 5. UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING OPERATIONS.

(a) Termination- No funds are authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available for any Atlasian contribution to any United Nations military operation.

(b) Terminations of Atlasia Participation in United Nations Peacekeeping Operations- No funds may be obligated or expended to support the participation of any member of the Armed Forces of Atlasia as part of any United Nations military or peacekeeping operation or force. No member of the Armed Forces of Atlasia may serve under the command of the United Nations.

SEC. 6. WITHDRAWAL OF UNITED NATIONS PRESENCE IN FACILITIES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF ATLASIAN AND REPEAL OF DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY.

(a) Withdrawal From Atlasian Government Property- The United Nations (including any affiliated agency of the United Nations) shall not occupy or use any property or facility of Atlasia Government.

(b) Diplomatic Immunity- No officer or employee of the United Nations or any representative, officer, or employee of any mission to the United Nations of any foreign government shall be entitled to enjoy the privileges and immunities of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of April 18, 1961, nor may any such privileges and immunities be extended to any such individual. The privileges, exemptions and immunities provided for in the International Organizations Immunities Act of December 29, 1945 (59 Stat. 669; 22 U.S.C. 288, 288a-f), or in any agreement or treaty to which Atlasia is a party, including the agreement entitled `Agreement Between the United Nations and Atlasia Regarding the Headquarters of the United Nations', signed June 26, 1947 (22 U.S.C. 287), and the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations, entered into force with respect to Atlasia on April 29, 1970 (21 UST 1418; TIAS 6900; UNTS 16), shall not apply to the United Nations or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, to the officers and employees of the United Nations, or any organ, specialized agency, commission or other formally affiliated body thereof, or to the families, suites or servants of such officers or employees.

SEC. 7. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION ACT.

The joint resolution entitled `A joint resolution providing for membership and participation by Atlasia in the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, and authorizing an appropriation therefor' approved July 30, 1946 (Public Law 79-565, 22 U.S.C. 287m-287t), is repealed.

SEC. 8. REPEAL OF UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM PARTICIPATION ACT OF 1973.

The United Nations Environment Program Participation Act of 1973 (22 U.S.C. 287 note) is repealed.

SEC. 9. REPEAL OF ATLASIAN PARTICIPATION IN THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION.

The joint resolution entitled `Joint Resolution providing for membership and participation by Atlasia in the World Health Organization and authorizing an appropriation therefor,' approved June 14, 1948 (22 U.S.C. 290, 290a-e-1) is repealed.

SEC. 10. REPEAL OF INVOLVEMENT IN UNITED NATIONS CONVENTIONS AND AGREEMENTS.

As of the date of the enactment of this Act, Atlasia will end any and all participation in any and all conventions and agreements with the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations. Any remaining functions of such conventions and agreements shall not be carried out.

SEC. 11. REEMPLOYMENT WITH ATLASIAN GOVERNMENT AFTER SERVICE WITH AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION.

Nothing in this Act shall be construed to affect the rights of employees under subchapter IV of chapter 35 of title 5, United States Code, relating to reemployment after service with an international organization.

SEC. 12. NOTIFICATION.

Effective on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of External Affairs shall notify the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations of the provisions of this Act.

SEC. 13. EFFECTIVE DATE.

Except as otherwise provided, this Act and the amendments made by this Act shall take effect 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Sponsor: Sen. Brandon H
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:52:18 AM »

Cry
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

I will vote Nay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »

I fully support this measure to make sure Atlasia puts itself first:

Yea
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »

Ugh.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:17:17 AM »

ABout about we see some debate on this. Are you trying to smother debate so you can vote down the bill without anyone noticing?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:34:10 AM »

Where is there any evidence of smothering debate? Rather than impugning Senate motive and activities, why not actually broach the debate? Start a topic in the elections thread. Ask Senate candidates their opinion on the bill.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »

I urge my Senators to please vote against this ridiculous piece of legislation.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »

ABout about we see some debate on this. Are you trying to smother debate so you can vote down the bill without anyone noticing?

Huh

Who exactly are you accusing of smothering debate on this bill?
All Senators (and I suppose citizens) are free to express their opinions on it and debate it to their heart's content.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »

What is ridiculous about it? It's no more ridiculous than your proposed Constitution.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 02:20:49 PM »

What is ridiculous about it? It's no more ridiculous than your proposed Constitution.

Ooh, burn.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Well the UN is really a horrible bureaucratic mess, and its really always been such a beast, it's corrupt and it's never really found a position in the post-Cold War world, however it is probably the most open forum for multinational diplomacy and international brokering that there is. While it's really not a great institution the effect of this bill would do nothing more than wall the Atlasian nation off from an increasingly hostile world. The UN presents itself as a way to broker deals with nations that would be hard to work with unilaterally and opening up a forum for broad based talks among nations. I see no alternative at this time to Atlasian participation in the UN in order to maintain its place in the world order and to facilitate more open diplomacy between other nations and the Republic.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »

Maybe the UN is the most open forum, but with out us funding it, it does not seem to operate on its own. The money sent to the UN could better serve the Atlasian people by keeping our money here. We seem to have given up on a budget. (Under the complexity of it, not a bad idea.) But if we were, I would say that we are still running a deficit. Furthermore, the UN wishes for Atlasia to be subordinate to the UN. If Atlasia is to remain a free nation, then it can not be subordinate to any other nation or any international body.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

Maybe the UN is the most open forum, but with out us funding it, it does not seem to operate on its own. The money sent to the UN could better serve the Atlasian people by keeping our money here. We seem to have given up on a budget. (Under the complexity of it, not a bad idea.) But if we were, I would say that we are still running a deficit.

I'd have no problem if efforts are made within the game to try and reform the UN (though I suppose that would require the aid of a Secretary of External Affairs and the GM relaying various other nation's positions) and using our budget contribution to aid such negotiations.

However I do feel that pulling out of the UN would send a horribly isolationist, up-yours message to the rest of the world. It is a valuable forum for states to work together. Of course, we can't always get our own way - any organistaion with a large number of members which prozes consensus would face the same difficulties. Pulling out now would be acting like a spoilt child - running away because we're not always getting what we want.

Furthermore, the UN wishes for Atlasia to be subordinate to the UN. If Atlasia is to remain a free nation, then it can not be subordinate to any other nation or any international body.

I'm afraid this part completely lost me, please explain further on how the UN represents a threat to Atlasia as a free nation.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 02:06:42 AM »

Are you trying to smother debate so you can vote down the bill without anyone noticing?

Who was this addressed to?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »

That's quite ridiculous.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 12:18:38 PM »

Here are a number of freedoms that we Atlasians have that are being threatened by the United Nations.

1. Parental Rights, including but not limited education - http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000020.asp

2. Control of the Internet
The UN wishes for that the Atlasia (or the real life United States) turn over control of the Internet to it.
http://usinfo.state.gov/eur/Archive/2005/Oct/25-499.html
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/10/10/042924.php
CNET News Article

3. Right to Bear Arms
The UN has set up a subcommittee known as International Action Network on Small Arms that wishes to take away our right to bear arms.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=201
Google Search Results

These are just a few issues that all of us who value freedom should be concerned about.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »

The UN wishes for that the Atlasia (or the real life United States) turn over control of the Internet to it.
CNET News Article

These are just a few issues that all of us who value freedom should be concerned about.
It makes a lot more sense to be concerned about current US "control" of the internet than about the proposed future UN "control" of the internet. And it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to be concerned about US "control" either.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:29 PM »

I am 'greatly concerned' about this bill. That is all I will say for now.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »

Meaning that it has no chance and shows why we need more balance in the senate.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »

I'm fairly satisfied with the current make-up of the Senate, actually.  Too bad about the euthanasia bill failing.

But Senate make-up has no effect if the President is greatly concerned about the bill.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 03:19:13 AM »

I'm fairly satisfied with the current make-up of the Senate, actually.  Too bad about the euthanasia bill failing.

But Senate make-up has no effect if the President is greatly concerned about the bill.
if the Senate had a two-third majority of far right extremists, it would have an effect.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »

topic=55947.msg1169922#msg1169922 date=1176657518]
Here are a number of freedoms that we Atlasians have that are being threatened by the United Nations.

1. Parental Rights, including but not limited education - http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000020.asp

CNET News Article

3. Right to Bear Arms
The UN has set up a subcommittee known as International Action Network on Small Arms that wishes to take away our right to bear arms.
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=201
Google Search Results

I'm afraid I didn't find any of those articles convincing of the assertion that the UN is setting out to unreasonably impinge on Atlasia.

The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is surely a positive document seeking to expand child rights. The link above seems to be scaremongering - it's inconceivable that this convention would seek to threaten home-schooling in any way.

I also find it very difficult to believe that the UN is seeking to take control of the internet. Is it even possible that the UN could take control of the internet? Is it possible for anyone to 'control' the internet? If the UN could, why would they want to?

Finally, on arms control, the article was of little assistance. What has the UN done? What is it trying to do?

I didn't find anything convincing here. I don't believe the UN is trying to impinge itself in any negative fashion, such as those outlinesd, on Atlasia - nor do I believe that if it did try to do so that it could suceed. I am greatly disappointed with the levels of mistrust and esteem in which the UN is held by Atlasians. I believe it is and can be a force for good, especially in the field of international diplomacy.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »

Has Atlasia even ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child?  There were a couple other ones we should ratify as well.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 06:01:07 PM »

if the Senate had a two-third majority of far right extremists, it would have an effect.

I'm simply saying the president is moderate and the senate is very liberal
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies