Excluding Delaware, what will be the next state to have its first female senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Excluding Delaware, what will be the next state to have its first female senator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What will be the next state to have its first female senator?
Colorado

Connecticut

Idaho

Indiana

Kentucky

Montana

New Jersey

New Mexico

Ohio

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Excluding Delaware, what will be the next state to have its first female senator?  (Read 647 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2023, 05:08:57 PM »

What will be the next U.S. State to have its first female senator? 33 states so far have been represented by women, and that number will likely go up to 34 with Delaware. After that, what comes next?
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 05:15:50 PM »

Becca Balint has the next open Vermont Senate seat (whether it's Sanders's or Welch's) in the bag if she wants it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 05:37:25 PM »

Kentucky is worth a shot. McConnell isn't terribly popular and he's not so far away from retirement himself.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 08:10:02 PM »

I'd say Vermont. Just like someone else already mentioned, in the event that either Bernie Sanders or Peter Welch retires, that senate seat is basically Becca Balint's.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 08:35:39 PM »

Vermont in 2028, that seat is Becca Balint's in the same way Slotkin is guaranteed to be Michigan's next senator
Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 08:51:28 PM »

Vermont is by far the likeliest, seeing as there's two old incumbent senators with only one obvious successor (Becca Balint) to either.

Other possibilities are Kentucky (McConnel Retires), Rhode Island (Whitehouse Retires), South Carolina (Graham Retires or Scott becomes VP), and New Jersey (Menendez primaried)
JMT

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 08:56:47 PM »

Agree with everyone here that Becca Balint in Vermont is the most likely option (for either Bernie or Welch’s seat, whichever opens first).

Some other possibilities include:

-Connecticut: Jahana Hayes (if Blumenthal retires in 2028)
-New Mexico: Melanie Stansbury, Theresa Leger Fernandez, or Maggie Toulouse Oliver (if Heinrich resigns to become Governor in 2026)
-South Carolina: Nancy Mace or Nikki Haley (if Lindsey Graham or Tim Scott retire or join a Republican Administration)
-Virginia: Jennifer Wexton or Elaine Luria (if Mark Warner retires in 2026)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 08:33:39 AM »

Agree with everyone here that Becca Balint in Vermont is the most likely option (for either Bernie or Welch’s seat, whichever opens first).

-New Mexico: Melanie Stansbury, Theresa Leger Fernandez, or Maggie Toulouse Oliver (if Heinrich resigns to become Governor in 2026)
-South Carolina: Nancy Mace or Nikki Haley (if Lindsey Graham or Tim Scott retire or join a Republican Administration)

I can guarantee Nikki Haley will not be the next Senator for South Carolina.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »

I wonder if Haley might try a gubernatorial comeback in 2026, like Carroll Campbell did, since SC allows more than two terms if they are non-consecutive. Graham doesn't look like he's going anywhere anytime soon (although both Norman and Mace seem vaguely interested in challenging him in a primary), and while Scott claims that this is his last term I'm not sure most people believe that.

I agree Haley doesn't seem very interested in a congressional bid.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »

The seat in NJ is almost definitely Mikie Sherill's if she wants it, but Vermont might beat her to it. I'm not sure, though - those old Vermont lefties tend to live long and hold on to their seats with an iron grip.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 02:58:48 PM »

The seat in NJ is almost definitely Mikie Sherill's if she wants it, but Vermont might beat her to it. I'm not sure, though - those old Vermont lefties tend to live long and hold on to their seats with an iron grip.

The thing with Sherrill is she’s clearly eyeing the governorship at the moment. Though it’s not impossible she does both eventually since the next open senate seat may not come until at least 2030 when Menendez retires.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 07:13:32 PM »

I wonder if Haley might try a gubernatorial comeback in 2026, like Carroll Campbell did, since SC allows more than two terms if they are non-consecutive. Graham doesn't look like he's going anywhere anytime soon (although both Norman and Mace seem vaguely interested in challenging him in a primary), and while Scott claims that this is his last term I'm not sure most people believe that.

I agree Haley doesn't seem very interested in a congressional bid.
Even then there is a strong bench for 2026 governor. I don't think Haley has much of a future in politics unless somehow an establishment Republican wins the Presidency in the future and chooses her for a cabinet position.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies