Will Russia try to establish a second front of the war from Transnistria?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:53:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Russia try to establish a second front of the war from Transnistria?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Russia try to establish a second front of the war from Transnistria?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Will Russia try to establish a second front of the war from Transnistria?  (Read 1978 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »

The war is not looking particularly great for Russia. Russia failed to capture Kiev, the largest, city, and the second largest, city, Kharkiv. Russia is also having trouble holding onto the Kherson Oblast.

However, Russia has troops stationed in Transnistria. Do you think Russia will try to use its troops in Transnistria to launch a second front for the invasion, forcing Ukraine to fight a two-front war?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »

I doubt Russia has the military capabilities to do so. There are even some military analysts expecting them to run of material as soon as this fall.
AAPSO
Rookie
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 01:56:11 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2023, 02:03:19 PM by AAPSO »

No. If a Transnistria front opens up, it will be Ukraine attempting to seize a massive Soviet-era ammo depot.

However, that's unlikely because both sides are anxious about the possible impact on Moldovan domestic politics.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 02:09:58 PM »

It’s more likely Ukraine intervene in Transnistria with Moldova blessing/help than Russia attacking from  it as they only a small skeleton crew there
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »

It’s more likely Ukraine intervene in Transnistria with Moldova blessing/help than Russia attacking from  it as they only a small skeleton crew there

This would be pretty embarrassing for Russia, if Ukraine liberated Transnistria after retaking all their own territory.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 03:20:07 PM »

The war is not looking particularly great for Russia. Russia failed to capture Kiev, the largest, city, and the second largest, city, Kharkiv. Russia is also having trouble holding onto the Kherson Oblast.

However, Russia has troops stationed in Transnistria. Do you think Russia will try to use its troops in Transnistria to launch a second front for the invasion, forcing Ukraine to fight a two-front war?

Russia has about a thousand garrison troops in Transnistria, many of whom have long since "gone native," in addition to the 6,000ish actual Transnistrian troops in Transnistria. Even if you got Transnistria on board you're not pushing into Ukraine with 7k guys. It'd be suicide.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 04:34:10 PM »

The time to do this was in the initial stages of the war
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 09:37:12 PM »

At this point, this would only result in the dissolution of Transnistria and realization of Moldovan NATO ambitions. So, quite likely given Russian foreign policy.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 02:31:16 AM »

I do not understand what is the point for Russia to keep a paramilitary exclave, which is absolutely useless from a military point of view. Again, just so that the muzhiks had something to drink for?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 03:36:28 AM »

I do not understand what is the point for Russia to keep a paramilitary exclave, which is absolutely useless from a military point of view. Again, just so that the muzhiks had something to drink for?

it destabilizes Moldova, prevents it from joining NATO and blocks any serious talk of reunification of Romania and Moldova.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 06:19:52 AM »

it destabilizes Moldova, prevents it from joining NATO and blocks any serious talk of reunification of Romania and Moldova.
Ukraine could create a precedent for NATO membership for a country whose part is occupied or annexed by Russia. We can also look from the point of view that with a smaller territory, it would be easier for Moldova to unite with Romania if Moldova renounces territorial claims to Transnistria. It hurts the patriots, but Transnistria will no longer bring anything good to Moldova, it's just a big criminal ghetto.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 06:41:46 AM »

At this point, this would only result in the dissolution of Transnistria and realization of Moldovan NATO ambitions. So, quite likely given Russian foreign policy.

But haven't you heard, Russia is going to TaKe tHe SuWaLkI gAp!!??!!?Huh??!!!111!!!
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 02:16:37 PM »

In addition to what was being said, they can launder money there too.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 08:53:23 PM »

I wish they would. 
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 09:25:45 AM »

I doubt Russia has the military capabilities to do so. There are even some military analysts expecting them to run of material as soon as this fall.
I think China, Iran, Belarus, Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis, and the PMF will start supplying Russia with supplies if that were to happen.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 09:55:14 AM »

The PRC has been doing this for a long time, through Hong Kong. Iran has been supplying UAVs to Russia for a long time. Belarus is simply annexed by Russia, they have a single state, so it makes no sense to talk about them as two separate independent countries. Similarly, it makes no sense to talk about Hamas, Hezbollah, the PMF and the Houthis as something separate from Iran. North Korea also provides military support to Russia.

But Russia somehow keeps getting its bell rung.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 10:40:46 AM »

The PRC has been doing this for a long time, through Hong Kong. Iran has been supplying UAVs to Russia for a long time. Belarus is simply annexed by Russia, they have a single state, so it makes no sense to talk about them as two separate independent countries. Similarly, it makes no sense to talk about Hamas, Hezbollah, the PMF and the Houthis as something separate from Iran. North Korea also provides military support to Russia.

I meant formal sending of troops to help Russia. Iran has one of the worlds largest standing armies and can use human wave attacks to bring the Ukraine army to its knees. Similarly, both China and North Korea have very large and skilled military forces who would defeat Ukrainian troops with ease in the battlefield.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 12:11:21 PM »

I meant formal sending of troops to help Russia. Iran has one of the worlds largest standing armies and can use human wave attacks to bring the Ukraine army to its knees. Similarly, both China and North Korea have very large and skilled military forces who would defeat Ukrainian troops with ease in the battlefield.
I guess Saudi-Iranian rapprochement makes this a feasible option if the Iranian leadership feels it to be such. At least, if any country was to send men to aid Russia, Iran is near the top of the "Likely" list.
I'm sure Washington would know if that was to actually happen though, and they would probably be ready to deal with the eventualities that one might foresee coming from it.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 01:48:35 AM »

At the beginning of a full-scale war, the Russian media very intensively broadcast a video of Assad's soldiers holding some kind of rally, and the announcers presented it as a voluntary recruitment of Syrians to the anti-Ukrainian front. But a few days later, for some unknown reason, any information about this was sucked into a black hole.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »

I think China, Iran, Belarus, Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis, and the PMF will start supplying Russia with supplies if that were to happen.
And what "supplies" do these groups have to send, even if they wanted to?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2023, 03:25:40 PM »

Also, we’ve seen that Lukashenko is not particularly interested in assisting Putin with his personal Vietnam—if only for his own domestic political (and personal) survival.
Kali Redcoat
Rookie
United States
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2023, 09:36:31 PM »

Russian troops in Transnistria are like bottom of the barrel stuff, I very much doubt they would play any role in the conflict. That being said, I am confident that Russia will eventually capture Odessa, which would bring it close to the border with Transnistria. I think postwar, Russia would annex the country. If Gagauzia also declared independence and went along for the ride, we'd be pretty close to my ideal situation for the Black Sea region with a post-Soviet POD. Support for reunification with Romania would be rather high in Moldova as a result (I think there aren't that many people who are strongly in favor of an independent Moldova who are *also* anti-Russia and Europhilic.). I could imagine that Moldova would be forced to recognize Russia's claims, which would clear a hurdle with NATO and make reunification simpler. Moldova would be part of the EU, and importantly NATO, and leave Russia with an even longer direct border with NATO. But we would get to see Romanian reunification which is something I've always wanted to see.

Even if Russia doesn't take Odessa (which I doubt), I think Romanian reunification has become much more likely than ever before.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2023, 09:13:47 AM »

That being said, I am confident that Russia will eventually capture Odessa

This confidence is presumably due to something, but its certainly not their conduct of the war so far.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2023, 06:28:02 PM »

Also, we’ve seen that Lukashenko is not particularly interested in assisting Putin with his personal Vietnam—if only for his own domestic political (and personal) survival.

Lukashenko has supplied Russia with plenty already, and will continue to do so for this very reason. Every Belarusian tank which ends up in the Russian army is one less reason for Putin to pressure Lukashenko to send in the Belarusian army.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2023, 08:27:17 PM »

Involving Transnistria in the war would be suicidal since it's a skinny little worm of a state that could be easily split in two and annihilated by Ukrainian forces, and also potentially draw Moldova into the war.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies