Google Street View is back in Germany after 10+ year halt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:15:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Google Street View is back in Germany after 10+ year halt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Google Street View is back in Germany after 10+ year halt  (Read 228 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2023, 02:29:59 PM »

Finally. Was about damn time. It was kind of embarrassing we didn't have it like the entire rest of the civilized world.

Google Maps revolutionized how we view the world when it introduced Street View in 2007, spreading throughout the world in subsequent years. However, the service wasn’t met with open arms everywhere in the world. One of the countries to shun the service early on was Germany, where privacy outcries and lawsuits led to Google halt the Street View rollout in 2011 after only covering about 20 big cities, shortly after it was launched in the country. Fast-forward to 2023, and the company is finally returning to the European country, allowing tourists and residents to explore sights and neighborhoods with up-to-date imagery.

[...]

Google shared on its German Keyword blog that the company is starting to publish imagery first shot in 2022. The company writes that starting today, you can view the streets and sights of the 20 biggest cities in Street View, in addition to many more regions that are available in Street View for the very first time. Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are just some of the cities among the supported ones now.

Previously, Google announced that starting June 22, Street View cars would return to Germany to make recordings all throughout the country, meant to be published in batches in the coming months. To prevent a privacy outcry like the last time, Google is working closely with a German government privacy agency, ensuring that its imagery meets the country’s data privacy regulations.

[...]

Full article

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 12:30:28 PM »

My mothers side is all lived in Germany, and it is the reason the reason that I understand virtually all german, and can speak it very well.. abliet more of a stutter compared to English.

Cousins who lived in Missouri moved back to Germany a few years back. Ugh, I hate that they are conservatives tho.

I do not have the same EXCITEMENT to visit Germany as I do Spain, but I will eventually.

I enjoyed looking at all the street views around Frankfurt.

I really liked this view:

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 01:36:55 AM »

This will improve Geoguessr.
Pages: [1]