VA-GOV 2025: Spanberger running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:21:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2025: Spanberger running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2025: Spanberger running  (Read 8011 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2023, 02:49:56 PM »

I wonder if she’s already eyeing a 2028 Presidential run if she wins the governorship. That would be awesome.

Ngl Warnock/Spanberger (or Vice versus) would be a good ticket
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2023, 03:03:56 PM »

Damnit, I was going to vote for any generic D like Mcaullife to secure the VA National Reserve, but now that it is MIC-Sponsored Spanberger, I will abstain.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2023, 03:05:26 PM »

I wonder if she’s already eyeing a 2028 Presidential run if she wins the governorship. That would be awesome.

Dixiecrat Revival:  Beshear/Spanberger 2028!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »

A former CIA officer who has openly criticized the left in the past would be a tough sell to the national Democratic electorate.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »

She could very well become President in 2028. She is basically guaranteed the governorship in 2025 if she wins the primary as Trump will be President, and the 2028 President is at least Lean D.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »

Definitely endorsed.

I guess under Trump it would be a very likely pickup, under Biden more of a tossup or just Tilt Democratic, depending on the Republican nominee (most likely Sears).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2023, 07:05:57 PM »

Definitely endorsed.

I guess under Trump it would be a very likely pickup, under Biden more of a tossup or just Tilt Democratic, depending on the Republican nominee (most likely Sears).

With Dobbs now as an issue, I think Virginia Governor with Biden in the White House will be lean D at a minimum.

You are right that it's pretty much safe D with Trump.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2023, 08:17:42 PM »

If Trump wins then this is borderline a lock to flip. However, if Biden wins I could see Rs holding onto this depending on Youngkin approval. Winsome Sears is also good candidate and I could see this being tossup if she runs.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2023, 08:20:08 PM »

If Trump wins then this is borderline a lock to flip. However, if Biden wins I could see Rs holding onto this depending on Youngkin approval. Winsome Sears is also good candidate and I could see this being tossup if she runs.
I always had the impression that Sears was more like Mark Robinson.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2023, 08:24:07 PM »

I always had the impression that Sears was more like Mark Robinson.
I don't believe she's made any controversial statements like Robinson. Her resume is actually quite impressive too. The only issue where she is a bit farther right than Youngkin on is guns, but its Virginia so it makes sense.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2023, 08:33:17 PM »

I agree with most people here. Likely, but bordering on Safe D if Trump's in the White House. Tilt/Lean D with Biden.

I don't think the Republicans really have much of a bench in the state. Kiggans would probably be their best bet (if she doesn't lose next year). Sears wouldn't be terrible, but she wouldn't be great either. Miyares should be their last choice, I can't see him winning even under Biden.

Yeah, I think she'd at least enter the conversation.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2023, 08:47:26 PM »

Unironically this would be the greatest ticket imaginable. I would race to the campaign headquarters and beg to be hired on it. I'd quit my lucrative job and just be an unpaid intern if I had to. I'd be an absolute diehard fanatic for this ticket like I never have been for any other.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2023, 09:24:39 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2023, 10:52:20 PM by LabourJersey »

I disagree about running for President.

The timing of Virginia gubernatorial elections are *very* unfavorable for running a presidential campaign.

You either have to lay the groundwork for a run immediately, try to run late only to be beset by your midterms, or run long after your term ends when you're less relevant.

Virginia Governors are basically operating on a different timeline from the rest of politics.

VP is a different story, though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2023, 09:50:57 PM »

Unironically this would be the greatest ticket imaginable. I would race to the campaign headquarters and beg to be hired on it. I'd quit my lucrative job and just be an unpaid intern if I had to. I'd be an absolute diehard fanatic for this ticket like I never have been for any other.

I would vote for this ticket, even after two terms of Biden.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2023, 09:06:32 PM »

The timing of Virginia gubernatorial elections are *very* unfavorable for running a presidential campaign.

You either have to lay the groundwork for a run immediately, try to run late only to be beset by your midterms, or run long after your term ends when you're less relevant.

Virginia Governors are basically operating on a different timeline from the rest of politics.

Her timing works pretty well if there's an open Senate seat in 2030 or 2032 though.
JMT

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2023, 09:28:09 AM »

Spanberger is getting a ton of local endorsements, but this one from Elaine Luria seems particularly noteworthy, since there was some speculation that Luria may also run for Governor. This takes Luria out of contention.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2023, 04:05:54 PM »

Spanberger is getting a ton of local endorsements, but this one from Elaine Luria seems particularly noteworthy, since there was some speculation that Luria may also run for Governor. This takes Luria out of contention.

It's possible Luria runs for Senate in 2026 if Warner retires.
JMT

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2023, 04:58:08 PM »

That would be great! If Luria is looking to run for something sooner, she could go for Lieutenant Governor in 2025. A Spanberger - Luria “ticket” would be amazing. But, maybe she holds off for Senate in 2026 (or later).

It does seem like a 2024 run for VA-02 is off the table for Luria, though. It seems that the party is coalescing around Missy Cotter Smasal to face off against Kiggans.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2023, 02:25:03 AM »

She's racking up lots of endorsements.

I wonder if Denver Riggleman will endorse her gubernatorial campaign the same way he did for her last congressional run?

Spectator
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2023, 01:31:52 PM »

I think Lt. Governor is more likely given Luria's involvement in state politics post-2022.
Fwillb21
Rookie
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2023, 03:50:36 PM »

I am really hoping that 2028 will be THE YEAR that we finally break that glass ceiling and elect our First Woman President, regardless of what happens next year.

She could very well become President in 2028. She is basically guaranteed the governorship in 2025 if she wins the primary as Trump will be President, and the 2028 President is at least Lean D.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2023, 06:40:36 PM »

I am really hoping that 2028 will be THE YEAR that we finally break that glass ceiling and elect our First Woman President, regardless of what happens next year.

You know it's not going to happen, right?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2023, 09:12:12 PM »

In the event her presidential/vice-presidential aspirations falls through for the 2028 election cycle, she always has the option of running for Sen. Tim Kaine's seat in 2030 provided (1) he retires that year and (2) he is re-elected next year for his fourth term.  Gov. Glenn Youngkin would provide a very stiff challenge if he runs against Sen. Kaine next year.  
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2023, 12:17:56 AM »

In the event her presidential/vice-presidential aspirations falls through for the 2028 election cycle, she always has the option of running for Sen. Tim Kaine's seat in 2030 provided (1) he retires that year and (2) he is re-elected next year for his fourth term.  Gov. Glenn Youngkin would provide a very stiff challenge if he runs against Sen. Kaine next year.  

Winning a Gubernatorial election in an off year is very different then winning a senate election in a presidential year
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2023, 01:31:47 AM »

Winning a Gubernatorial election in an off year is very different then winning a senate election in a presidential year

I am not seeing Youngkin beating Sen. Tim Kaine, of course, but he is still a popular governor, and the best Republicans can put forward if his 2024 presidential ambitions are blocked -and if he is not keen to be Trump's sidekick in the Naval Observatory. And then there is the 2026 midterm race against Sen. Mark Warner that he could look forward to if he decides to stick with his present job until the end of his term.  Which would work out splendidly for him if President Biden wins a second term.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies