Grand Junction Mayor Anna Stout (D) Files to Run against BOEBERT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:38:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Grand Junction Mayor Anna Stout (D) Files to Run against BOEBERT
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grand Junction Mayor Anna Stout (D) Files to Run against BOEBERT  (Read 846 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2023, 02:27:56 PM »

https://coloradosun.com/2023/07/26/anna-stout-lauren-boebert-colorado-congress/

I do not know much about this lady, but on paper from a geographic perspective, this may be better to have a Democrat from Grand Junction rather than Aspen.

But Frisch already has a strong war chest and fundraising.

I do not agree that a competitive primary would DOOM Democrats chances against the WITCH OF THE WEST!!!! here. A competitive primary is not necessarily a bad thing for Democrats. It will bring more attention to the race, and the winner of the primary will be proven formidable.

Frisch probably wins the primary. Stout may or may not gain traction.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 02:31:40 PM »

I have never calculated the Presidential Race for Grand Junction City proper, but it does have Democratic areas. I would not be that shocked if Polis won Grand Junction proper, but I doubt it.

I like Grand Junction! It is a nice spring time retreat to get out of the COLD. The people are friendly, but I am mostly TERRIFIED of them.  
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 12:07:15 AM »

Anyone but Boebert imo.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »

As long as the primary stays professional, shouldn't be a problem, but Frisch probably has the edge.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:51:59 AM »

Frisch has been involved in some of his own scandals and a nominee from a relatively red area might be a good get for Democrats here, but obviously Frisch has been able to raise a lot of money and has high name recognition.

Boebert's star seems to have definitely declined over the past few months, with her being one of the last holdouts for the McCarthy Speakership election and also feuding with MTG. She might be more vulnerable in a primary than we think; winning 65-35 in 2022 wasn't that bad, but she kind of notably failed to really pick up lots of support from local Republican politicians, and someone a few clicks right of Don Coram, who could maintain his support but also reach out to Trump/MTG and so on, could really threaten her.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 06:26:24 PM »

Worth noting that Stout wasn't elected mayor city-wide. She was chosen by other peers on the city council.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 08:19:24 AM »

There are rumblings going around that national Dems don't want Frisch here, I wouldn't be surprised to see this new candidate get some considerable support/endorsements.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »

Frisch isn't an amazing candidate, but he has a bajillion dollars. I worry that any primary here would be a bruising affair.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 11:26:22 AM »

There are rumblings going around that national Dems don't want Frisch here, I wouldn't be surprised to see this new candidate get some considerable support/endorsements.

I don’t blame them; he’s a terrible candidate. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 11:29:48 AM »

I'm shocked Grand Junction has a Democratic mayor. It voted for Trump by almost 16 points.

Nonpartisan election?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »

I'm shocked Grand Junction has a Democratic mayor. It voted for Trump by almost 16 points.

Nonpartisan election?

Anna Stout was elected to city council, and they choose her as mayor. She has not won a city wide election.

I do believe Polis came close in the city.

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 11:34:14 AM »

What exactly are the concerns with Frisch? He's got name recognition and a lot of money in the bank.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 11:46:36 AM »

What exactly are the concerns with Frisch? He's got name recognition and a lot of money in the bank.

Aspen City Councilor is not really a great profile in a district like this, fairly or not.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »

Aspen City Councilor is not really a great profile in a district like this, fairly or not.

Former state Representative Donald Valdez probably had the best profile for the district, but he couldn’t fundraise to save his life last cycle.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »

Former state Representative Donald Valdez probably had the best profile for the district, but he couldn’t fundraise to save his life last cycle.

Valdez didn't even manage to qualify for the ballot last cycle. Dude has been an unmitigated flop a la Tom Winter.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2023, 11:58:21 AM »

Valdez didn't even manage to qualify for the ballot last cycle. Dude has been an unmitigated flop a la Tom Winter.

Don’t disagree. My point was just that someone with his profile had the best (on paper at least) chance. Moderate hispanic elected official with a background in law enforcement and ranching and a history of electorally overperforming.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2023, 12:36:03 PM »

Worth noting that Stout wasn't elected mayor city-wide. She was chosen by other peers on the city council.

Though note that the city council is elected at-large, so Stout actually has won city-wide elections, even if they weren't mayoral ones.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »

Though note that the city council is elected at-large, so Stout actually has won city-wide elections, even if they weren't mayoral ones.

Stout was long an independent registered, but recently changed to Democrat to run for CO-03. Though from what I hear it was known she was leaning to the left. But people do not really pay attention to city council races that much unless there is a very specific issue affecting your household.

lol.. the level of government with the most impact on your day to day life, you know the least about!

Shows just how horrible and controversial Boebert has become.

People in like PUEBLO do not Understand places like Aspen even if they vote for the same party with different MARGINS

People in Grand Junction and more rural parts of the district really dislike Aspen. Even in other small resorty towns in the district HATE.

Its more than just politics.. its also culture. Full of transplants and full of part time reasons and full of Seasonal RESIDENTS.

Aspen is strongly pro-EnVIRONMENT. Which is a GOOD Thing, but is not compatible with the economic interests of the region.

And Aspen is notoriously ANTI-GUN.. too bad people here are not agreeing with me when I say guns are important in case of an Alien invasion.. which WILL happen.

We do need a campaign that can connect with the rednecks, HICKS, and desert dwellers of this district. Frisch can do it, he almost was successful in it.

yup.. that is the consensus. a lot of people I know who are DEMOCRATS.. are worried he would fall just a tad short again.. and they really need to do better in Mesa County.

A primary map between Stout and Frisch would be predictable on a map.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2023, 01:17:56 PM »

a total of ONE Democrat has won the district since the 2010 weird three way split for governor:

Jared Polis 2022.

Though the main encourage I see for Democrats in the THIRD was the Senate Race being so close here. 

The district on the Senatorial and Congressional level voted to the LEFT of the nation in 2022. haha

Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 02:34:58 PM »

But she was elected unopposed.

Stout’s announcement will have no impact. As others have pointed out, Frisch’s fundraising advantage, (which is primarily due to out-of-staters) will be too much for any one candidate, let alone one in a divided primary field, to overcome.

Boebert's star seems to have definitely declined over the past few months, with her being one of the last holdouts for the McCarthy Speakership election and also feuding with MTG. She might be more vulnerable in a primary than we think; winning 65-35 in 2022 wasn't that bad, but she kind of notably failed to really pick up lots of support from local Republican politicians, and someone a few clicks right of Don Coram, who could maintain his support but also reach out to Trump/MTG and so on, could really threaten her.

Boebert has lost some good standing among Republican voters but still has strong institutional support from the state and local Republican Party.  The only real threat to her in a primary is direct intervention by Trump. Most of Coram‘s support in 2022 didn’t come from base voters, but from independents and democrats who changed their registration to vote against Boebert in the Republican primary.

Boebert is well aware that her days are numbered and that her fate in 2024 is tied to the top of the ticket performance.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »

Stout’s announcement will have no impact. As others have pointed out, Frisch’s fundraising advantage, (which is primarily due to out-of-staters) will be too much for any one candidate, let alone one in a divided primary field, to overcome.

Boebert has lost some good standing among Republican voters but still has strong institutional support from the state and local Republican Party.  The only real threat to her in a primary is direct intervention by Trump. Most of Coram‘s support in 2022 didn’t come from base voters, but from independents and democrats who changed their registration to vote against Boebert in the Republican primary.

Boebert is well aware that her days are numbered and that her fate in 2024 is tied to the top of the ticket performance.

If Boebert wins re-election I WILL COMPLETELY LOSE MY MIND AND GO CCCCRRRAZZZZYYYY
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2023, 03:35:46 PM »

I think the biggest threat to Boebert in a primary is the State GOP turning on her like they did with Cawthorn.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 03:37:38 PM »

I think the biggest threat to Boebert in a primary is the State GOP turning on her like they did with Cawthorn.

Same, I would love to see the CO GOP turn on her
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2023, 06:20:36 AM »

Don’t disagree. My point was just that someone with his profile had the best (on paper at least) chance. Moderate hispanic elected official with a background in law enforcement and ranching and a history of electorally overperforming.

Oh yeah, I agree he has the right profile. He specifically is just incapable of rising to the task.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies