LGC 14.6 - Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:48:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 14.6 - Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 14.6 - Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act (Statute)  (Read 390 times)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2023, 01:11:52 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2023, 11:56:09 PM by GM Team Member and LGC Speaker WB »

Mr. MILLHOUSE, with thanks to Ms. PETTERSEN of Colorado and others, introduces

A BILL

To establish a Regional Center to Stop the Import of Illicit Synthetic Drugs.

I. SHORT TITLE

This Act may be cited as the "Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act".

II. DEFINITIONS

1. The term “agency” has the meaning that is given to such term in section 551 of title 5, United States Code.

2. The term “drug trafficking organization” means a complex organization with highly defined command-and-control structures that produce, transport, or distribute large quantities of one or more synthetic drugs.

3. The term “persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade” means a person that plays a significant role in the synthetic drug trade.

4. The term “synthetic drug trade” means any illicit activity to cultivate, produce, manufacture, distribute, sell, finance, or transport synthetic drugs, or otherwise endeavor or attempt to do so.

III. REGIONAL CENTER

A. IN GENERAL

1. There is established within the Regional Drug Enforcement Administration a Regional Center to Stop the Import of Illicit Synthetic Drugs (hereinafter referred to as the “Regional Center”).

B. DIRECTOR OF REGIONAL CENTER

1. There is established a Director of the Regional Center, who shall be the head of the Regional Center, and who shall be appointed by the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the General Court.

2. The Director of the Regional Center may not simultaneously serve in any other capacity in the regional executive branch.

C. REPORT REQUIRED

1. Not later than 90 days after date of enactment of this Act, and annually thereafter, the Director of the Regional Center shall submit to the Administrator of the regional Drug Enforcement Administration a report including –

a. an overview of how synthetic drugs come into Lincoln;

b. a strategic plan of action on each of its primary missions under subsection (d); and

c. identification of necessary resources from agencies to accomplish the primary missions under subsection D.

D. PRIMARY MISSIONS

1. The primary missions of the Regional Center shall be as follows:

a. to serve as the primary organization in the Government of Lincoln for analyzing, tracking, and halting the movement of synthetic drugs domestically, particularly as it relates to the trafficking of fentanyl, fentanyl analogues, and precursor chemicals to produce fentanyl;

b. to serve as the primary organization in the Government of Lincoln for tracking the movements of persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade in Lincoln and Atlasia through intelligence gathering, in cooperation with other agencies;

c. to collect and share information for the purposes of identification and disruption of the trafficking of fentanyl;

d. to ensure that agencies have access to and receive intelligence needed to accomplish any activities assigned to such agency pursuant to this subsection, and –

e. to trace the sale proceeds of the synthetic drug trade, to identify the interests of drug trafficking organizations and persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade and reveal any network that facilities such trade.

E. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF DIRECTOR

1. The Director shall –

a. serve in the Governor’s cabinet as the principal advisor to the Governor on the synthetic drug trade;

b. provide strategic operational plans for efforts of the Government of Lincoln to disrupt the trafficking of fentanyl, and

c. testify and make reports to the General Court when called to do so.

F. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION

1. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit the action of any person acting in compliance with State law relating to the manufacture, production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of cannabis.

IV. EFFECTIVE DATE

This Act shall go into effect upon its signature by the governor.  

Sponsor: Fairbol
Slot #1

Sponsor, please advocate for your bill.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 05:20:38 AM »

First off, let me give credit where credit is due.  This bill borrows from the Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act of 2023, introduced in the US House by Congresswoman Pettersen of Colorado.  I thank her for the inspiration. 

Mr. Speaker,

Over the past couple of years, we have seen an alarming rise in the number of drug-related deaths and overdoses.  Synthetic "designer drugs" such as fentanyl are tearing our communities apart, destroying lives and families in their wake. 

This is a problem that needs to be addressed in a bold way.  I would note that nobody really seems to want a new "war on drugs" to begin in Lincoln.  That's not what this bill is about.  On the contrary, it's about stemming the tide of a dark wave, a scourge that is rapidly becoming both a regional and national security issue. 

It has been said that one should "know their enemy".  The meaning of this is that through knowledge and identification of tactics, one can often find themselves holding a strategic advantage over their adversaries. 

The establishment of a Regional Center, as is proposed in this bill, would go a long way toward identifying and disrupting the trade of illicit (and highly deadly) synthetic drugs.  If we're looking to "stem the tide", I believe that such would be a major step in the right direction.  It's only half the battle (per se), but it's a start.   

So saying, I urge swift passage of this bill, and yield for debate. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 05:39:59 AM »

OOC comment: If you'll indulge me, I need to tell a brief personal story about fentanyl. 

A few months back (I think it was late last year), I called up an old friend of mine that was living in Florida, hoping to catch up a bit.  The phone was answered by her father, who told me that due to an overdose of fentanyl, my friend had passed away.  I can still remember his words..."she got into some things that she shouldn't have gotten into". 

This has been really really tough for me to deal with. 

Mindy was my first love; my first major crush.  I have many happy memories of our friendship, including the way she made me chase her on the playground at school.  To say that I am shocked and saddened at her passing would be a bit of an understatement. 

And in the back of my mind, there's always that "what if" question; if I had been a closer friend to her in her last years, could I have prevented what happened?

That's a question that I'll probably never be able to answer, and one that haunts me.  I fervently wish that somehow, someway, this did not happen. 

RIP, my friend; until we meet again
FairBol
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 11:27:46 AM »

Motioning for a final vote on this (BTW,can someone direct me to the SOAP? I can't find it anywhere). 
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »

Motioning for a final vote on this (BTW,can someone direct me to the SOAP? I can't find it anywhere). 
the SOAP is on the noticeboard, pinned on the regional governments sub-board
FairBol
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 03:49:37 PM »

the SOAP is on the noticeboard, pinned on the regional governments sub-board

Thanks!
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 02:04:16 PM »

With 24 hours having passed without objections, we move to a final vote for 48 hours.
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »

Aye
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 03:07:38 PM »

Aye
FairBol
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »

Aye.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 02:03:52 PM »

Aye, though I do want to see a future bill addressing this as a public health issue rather than a criminal one. I'd rather not continue or start another failed War on Drugs.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 10:26:59 PM »

Abstain
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 10:28:52 PM »

This passes 4-0-1-0 and will be sent to the Governor for signature or veto.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 11:52:37 PM »

Mr. MILLHOUSE, with thanks to Ms. PETTERSEN of Colorado and others, introduces

A BILL

To establish a Regional Center to Stop the Import of Illicit Synthetic Drugs.

I. SHORT TITLE

This Act may be cited as the "Stop the Import of Fentanyl Act".

II. DEFINITIONS

1. The term “agency” has the meaning that is given to such term in section 551 of title 5, United States Code.

2. The term “drug trafficking organization” means a complex organization with highly defined command-and-control structures that produce, transport, or distribute large quantities of one or more synthetic drugs.

3. The term “persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade” means a person that plays a significant role in the synthetic drug trade.

4. The term “synthetic drug trade” means any illicit activity to cultivate, produce, manufacture, distribute, sell, finance, or transport synthetic drugs, or otherwise endeavor or attempt to do so.

III. REGIONAL CENTER

A. IN GENERAL

1. There is established within the Regional Drug Enforcement Administration a Regional Center to Stop the Import of Illicit Synthetic Drugs (hereinafter referred to as the “Regional Center”).

B. DIRECTOR OF REGIONAL CENTER

1. There is established a Director of the Regional Center, who shall be the head of the Regional Center, and who shall be appointed by the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the General Court.

2. The Director of the Regional Center may not simultaneously serve in any other capacity in the regional executive branch.

C. REPORT REQUIRED

1. Not later than 90 days after date of enactment of this Act, and annually thereafter, the Director of the Regional Center shall submit to the Administrator of the regional Drug Enforcement Administration a report including –

a. an overview of how synthetic drugs come into Lincoln;

b. a strategic plan of action on each of its primary missions under subsection (d); and

c. identification of necessary resources from agencies to accomplish the primary missions under subsection D.

D. PRIMARY MISSIONS

1. The primary missions of the Regional Center shall be as follows:

a. to serve as the primary organization in the Government of Lincoln for analyzing, tracking, and halting the movement of synthetic drugs domestically, particularly as it relates to the trafficking of fentanyl, fentanyl analogues, and precursor chemicals to produce fentanyl;

b. to serve as the primary organization in the Government of Lincoln for tracking the movements of persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade in Lincoln and Atlasia through intelligence gathering, in cooperation with other agencies;

c. to collect and share information for the purposes of identification and disruption of the trafficking of fentanyl;

d. to ensure that agencies have access to and receive intelligence needed to accomplish any activities assigned to such agency pursuant to this subsection, and –

e. to trace the sale proceeds of the synthetic drug trade, to identify the interests of drug trafficking organizations and persons trafficking in the synthetic drug trade and reveal any network that facilities such trade.

E. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF DIRECTOR

1. The Director shall –

a. serve in the Governor’s cabinet as the principal advisor to the Governor on the synthetic drug trade;

b. provide strategic operational plans for efforts of the Government of Lincoln to disrupt the trafficking of fentanyl, and

c. testify and make reports to the General Court when called to do so.

F. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION

1. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit the action of any person acting in compliance with State law relating to the manufacture, production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of cannabis.

IV. EFFECTIVE DATE

This Act shall go into effect upon its signature by the governor.  

Signed.

Oleg
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 11:56:33 PM »

OOC comment: If you'll indulge me, I need to tell a brief personal story about fentanyl. 

A few months back (I think it was late last year), I called up an old friend of mine that was living in Florida, hoping to catch up a bit.  The phone was answered by her father, who told me that due to an overdose of fentanyl, my friend had passed away.  I can still remember his words..."she got into some things that she shouldn't have gotten into". 

This has been really really tough for me to deal with. 

Mindy was my first love; my first major crush.  I have many happy memories of our friendship, including the way she made me chase her on the playground at school.  To say that I am shocked and saddened at her passing would be a bit of an understatement. 

And in the back of my mind, there's always that "what if" question; if I had been a closer friend to her in her last years, could I have prevented what happened?

That's a question that I'll probably never be able to answer, and one that haunts me.  I fervently wish that somehow, someway, this did not happen. 

RIP, my friend; until we meet again
It's catastrophic. Please accept my condolences.
Oleg 🇰🇿🤝🇺🇦
Oleg
Kazakhstan

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 12:03:26 AM »

If you don't object, I will appoint an NPC as the Director of the Regional Center.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2023, 01:15:49 AM »

If you don't object, I will appoint an NPC as the Director of the Regional Center.

That'll work for me.  Thanks for the condolences/good vibes, BTW.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies