Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:39:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"  (Read 12926 times)
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2023, 02:34:25 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2023, 03:14:49 AM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

ITT: People thinking they have better decision making skills than the richest man on Earth.

With the exception of singlehandedly inflating the economies of the Eastern Mediterranean through his lavish generosity, I'm pretty sure Mansa Musa had better decision making skills than Elon.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »

People who defend Musk are just low information blind sided fools
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2023, 11:34:34 PM »

Does this mean that The Twitter Files are now officially The X Files?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2023, 11:42:22 PM »

Absolute buffoon. How did he get so rich?Huh??

Rich parents, going to the right school, being interested in the internet at the start of the internet boom, and then being lucky.
Most rich people are rich because they are lucky - Musk isn’t an exception.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2023, 03:25:41 AM »

I don't do twitter and I am annoyed by all the posts that quote something from there. So I don't really care except as a curiosity. Calling something X is not very inspiring in fact it's down right boring. What a strange man.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2023, 04:16:24 AM »

His offering to pay $44 billion for Twitter was a pretty serious self own.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2023, 08:26:30 AM »

As a Meta shareholder, watching Twitter implode is pretty funny. I have no idea why Musk thought it was a good idea to change an iconic name that is part of the english vernacular to something else.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2023, 08:37:18 AM »

As a Meta shareholder, watching Twitter implode is pretty funny. I have no idea why Musk thought it was a good idea to change an iconic name that is part of the english vernacular to something else.

The dude apparently is obsessed with the letter X. Doubt there's any other credible reason. Which in my view kind of demonstrates he's had a ton of luck in the past in is not necessarily the master businessman he claims to be.

Twitter is already an established name. Unless you completely change/improve the product, what's the point of rebranding? It's almost like renaming Coca Cola and print some obscure name or just a letter on bottles with the exact same content.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2023, 10:22:42 AM »

I knew I was remembering X.com from some other context:

XCOM (originally called X-COM) is a science fiction video game franchise featuring an elite international organization tasked with countering alien invasions of Earth. The series began with the strategy video game X-COM: UFO Defense created by Julian Gollop's Mythos Games and MicroProse in 1994. The original lineup by MicroProse included six published and at least two canceled games, as well as two novels. The X-COM series, in particular its original entry, achieved a sizable cult following and has influenced many other video games; including the creation of a number of clones, spiritual successors, and unofficial remakes.

A reboot series was published by 2K Games, beginning with the strategy video game XCOM: Enemy Unknown, developed by Firaxis Games and released in 2012 to critical and commercial success. It was followed by the prequel The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and the sequels XCOM 2 and XCOM: Chimera Squad.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »

The dude apparently is obsessed with the letter X. Doubt there's any other credible reason. Which in my view kind of demonstrates he's had a ton of luck in the past in is not necessarily the master businessman he claims to be.

Twitter is already an established name. Unless you completely change/improve the product, what's the point of rebranding? It's almost like renaming Coca Cola and print some obscure name or just a letter on bottles with the exact same content.

Word is he wants to create some type of super app like WeChat, but I can't see him being successful at it. Super apps have not taken off in the US.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »

Word is he wants to create some type of super app like WeChat, but I can't see him being successful at it. Super apps have not taken off in the US.

WeChat only exists because the Chinese government prefers a single centralized app that is easier to monitor and control. That model is irrelevant outside of an authoritarian state.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2023, 11:41:51 AM »

ITT: People thinking they have better decision making skills than the richest man on Earth.
The second dumbest person on earth can credibly claim better decision making skills than Musk
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2023, 12:03:17 PM »

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2023, 12:39:23 PM »

It's just ego. Billionaires can do anything they want. Anyone who saddles their child with a weird name like Musk's last kid probably thinks they are being creative. Billionaires like Musk don't live like us. They do what they please.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2023, 12:40:19 PM »

Elon Musk is the hero we didn’t want, but the hero we needed. Which other billionaire else would spend 44 billions ending Twitter, Twitter have been a plague on modern society since the talking class discovered it existed and used it to make public discourse even stupider than it was. But one man saw it and spend his money taking it down in the kind of clusterf**k which it cán nerver rise out of again.

I googled the talking class to figure out what you're talking about and what comes up are videos of kids talking in class and an article on the science of talking in class.

Pundits, we're talking about pundits.

OP's point is, of course, nonsense. You don't light 44 billion dollars on fire just to make a point about pundits.

I could come with a snide remark here, but you clearly don’t understand sarcasm, so it would be a waste of time for both of us. No I don’t think Elon Musk planned to run Twitter into the ground, I also don’t think he’s a hero, but I do think Elon Musk buying Twitter for 44 billion and running it into the ground is hilarious (and a objective good thing), I also find all the whining over him doing that just as hilarious. The fact that much of the worst parts of the chattering class (thank you TimTurner) now are losing their platform and are either silenced or forced onto platforms where they have to come with long form arguments is wonderful.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2023, 12:46:04 PM »

It reminds me when Netflix decided to spin off their DVD division and rename is Quickster. It was met with such derision that they backtracked and kept it Netflix. (Of course they are finally ending their DVD business this year altogether as streaming dominates.) I doubt Musk will backtrack on X though.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2023, 12:47:11 PM »

Dude wanted to rename it X-Paypal lol
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »

A similar dive into Musk's obsession with X over on Mastadon:
https://mastodon.me.uk/@garius/110775069963968471
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2023, 11:28:14 PM »

Would've been nice if our government hadn't propped this idiot up with a bunch of welfare over the years.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2023, 12:14:42 PM »

Elon told Donald Trump to rebrand "Truth Social" to "Trumpet".

That one's actually kind of clever. "Trumpeting the truth" or whatever, has Trump on it, less syllables.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2023, 12:54:59 PM »

Skum just robbed the @X username from the guy who'd had it for 17 years.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/07/twitter-took-x-handle-from-longtime-user-and-only-offered-him-some-merch/
San Francisco-based photographer Gene X Hwang was @X on Twitter from March 2007 until yesterday. "They just took it essentially—kinda what I thought might happen," Hwang told The Telegraph. "They did send an email saying it is the property of 'x' essentially."

Hwang confirmed to Ars today that "there was no financial compensation" offered to him. The company offered "to switch the @x account and its history/followers etc to a new handle once I select one that is available," Hwang told us. "They also offered some merch and to meet with the management team as well."

Yoda
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »

Elon is still totally cool with dead naming, right? B/c I'm never gonna call it X.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2023, 11:56:53 PM »

I personally don't see the reason for it but ok
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »

I can't help thinking about that old saying "X marks the spot." In looking at the photos in this link, all I can think of is that Musk is making his building an easy target for bombing and also for hostile ETs to laser it and blast it into a thousand pieces. Nobody could pay me enough to put an X on my building like that.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/29/1190891082/twitter-x-account-owner-gene-hwang-elon-musk
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2023, 05:51:00 PM »

Elon had a large bright X sign, that strobes at points in its cycle, placed on the roof of the twitter (X..now, I guess?) building, which faces a residential tower:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies