A Democratic ticket with two black candidates in the median future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A Democratic ticket with two black candidates in the median future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Democratic ticket with two black candidates in the median future?  (Read 568 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2023, 01:58:20 PM »

I know, somewhat of a bronz threaf, but still an interesting question. Could you imagine a Democratic presidential ticket with two black candidates nominated? I'd honestly say this is at least equally likely to another ticket of two whites. In both cases though it's almost certainly going to be a male and female candidate.

Thoughts?
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 02:05:06 PM »

I think the Democrats should consider a Bennie Thompson (D-MS)/Terri Sewell (D-AL) ticket. Such a ticket might be necessary for Democrats to stop Republicans from making inroads within African-Americans. Such a ticket might also help Democrats in the South, given that both people on this ticket are Southerners.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 05:07:36 PM »

Generally speaking the VP is intended to appeal to a different demographic than the president, so I don't see this happening.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 08:02:05 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2023, 08:05:48 AM by Electric Circus »

Generally speaking the VP is intended to appeal to a different demographic than the president, so I don't see this happening.

This is true only sometimes. Al Gore and Dick Cheney were not picked because their demographic appeal differed from the other side of the ticket.

Even picks like Joe Biden or Paul Ryan, which offered obvious contrasts with the bottom of the ticket, had little to do with demographic or regional balance. On top of that, gimmicky attempts at demographic balance are responsible for two of the most damaging VP picks in modern electoral history, Sarah Palin and Geraldine Ferraro.

The modern Democratic Party is concerned with this kind of representation to an unprecedented degree, and there would be strong objections to an all-white ticket, but I doubt that a ticket with two black candidates would be a problem, especially if one or both of them had a multi-racial background. There's enough diversity among black Democrats that it could be a balanced ticket in many other respects.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 08:31:59 AM »

Historically, yes, but this seems to be getting less and less important in the mass media era.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 10:24:52 AM »

Historically, yes, but this seems to be getting less and less important in the mass media era.

Does it?  Biden specifically committed to picking a woman months before Harris was ever announced.  Trump and DeSantis are both likely to pick female running mates in 2024, too.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 03:40:21 PM »

If it happens, I'd hope it's because both of the candidates were great, and not just because the party wanted an all-black ticket.

I wonder if anyone suggested an Obama-Colin Powell or Obama-Oprah ticket in 2008.  Those could have won even back then.

I don't think such a ticket would necessarily be unelectable, but it'd have to be a very strong ticket.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 10:08:25 PM »

So, "in the near future," Dems will still be obsessed with race? Judging people by the color of their skin and not the content of their character?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies