Ohio Ballot Issue 1 Megathread (August 8)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:20:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Ballot Issue 1 Megathread (August 8)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Poll
Question: ^
Yes >90%

Yes >80%

Yes >70%

Yes >60%

Yes >50%

No >50%

No >60%

No >70%

No >80%

No >90%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: Ohio Ballot Issue 1 Megathread (August 8)  (Read 11341 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2023, 12:01:26 AM »

This result shows why Trump is the only Republican who can be competitive in the rust belt. His secular brand allows him to win socially moderate voters that no other Republican can.

Mike DeWine won reelection by 25 points.

I think they meant on the Presidential level.

But even so, Ohio is different from other Rust Belt states; it has always been more Republican than its Rust Belt neighbors (Michigan and Pennsylvania) since 1988.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2023, 12:24:54 AM »

This was a really stupid ass idea. This sort of thing would always run behind an abortion ban, so what's the point? Did they seriously think they'd actually win over enough pro-choice voters to the Yes side?

No, they simply hoped (and this really was their "plan", I'm not making this up) that enough voters would not be paying attention and that the electorate would be strongly old and republican leaning.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2023, 12:28:44 AM »

This was a really stupid ass idea. This sort of thing would always run behind an abortion ban, so what's the point? Did they seriously think they'd actually win over enough pro-choice voters to the Yes side?

No, they simply hoped (and this really was their "plan", I'm not making this up) that enough voters would not be paying attention and that the electorate would be strongly old and republican leaning.

That might have worked if this were literally any other issue, LOL

But abortion is too controversial NOT to drive up turnout
Yoda
United States

« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2023, 12:43:35 AM »

That might have worked if this were literally any other issue, LOL

But abortion is too controversial NOT to drive up turnout

Exactly.
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2023, 04:49:11 AM »

Good.

Now on to November.

Do you think OHio voters will back abortion rights by a higher margin than MIchigan voters last year? The polls would suggest yes, but I am not sure. I think it will end up with 55-60% support, give or take.
Dave Hedgehog
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2023, 05:10:16 AM »

I guessed a 50-60% No victory and it looks like it has been just that. Clearly enough people to see it for the power grab it was, but still evidence of a state which is becoming increasingly inflexibly conservative on the whole, with huge numbers voting immovably in lockstep with the GOP because "muh liberals". The fact that the end result was narrower than the Kansas abortion referendum is something I find quite telling. Is Ohio possibly now the more right-leaning state of the two?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2023, 05:37:38 AM »

Fantastic news! I hope Democrats can rush to put a real anti-gerrymandering initiative on top of the abortion one as well. We need to strike the iron while it's hot and neuter the GOP legislature as much as possible.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2023, 07:27:51 AM »

I really was not paying much attention to this vote and I thought it would've been funny if it passed with like 58 or 59% of the vote, but this is a much more agreeable outcome.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2023, 08:15:17 AM »

It's over for Rs they can't afford to lose OH and as I always said even with Ryan OH has 12 and 12 blk and Arab it's a purple state

Rs got took cocky again when OH went R again in 22
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2023, 08:19:36 AM »

I guessed a 50-60% No victory and it looks like it has been just that. Clearly enough people to see it for the power grab it was, but still evidence of a state which is becoming increasingly inflexibly conservative on the whole, with huge numbers voting immovably in lockstep with the GOP because "muh liberals". The fact that the end result was narrower than the Kansas abortion referendum is something I find quite telling. Is Ohio possibly now the more right-leaning state of the two?

On social issues?  Almost surely!

Keep in mind there are almost surely more people who didn't want to make it harder to pass a referendum even though they are more pro-life than the November amendment than vice versa.  The ballots didn't literally say "abortion" this time around.  
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2023, 08:19:58 AM »

It’s pretty clear where public opinion is on the abortion issue and it was before Dobbs. If Republicans want to stake their future election odds on the issue, that’s good with me.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2023, 08:22:34 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2023, 08:28:36 AM »

It's funny you never see any Rs around when OH and WI goes D not R
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »

The people who planned the election said there wasn’t enough time to properly campaign
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2023, 08:58:26 AM »

Frank LaCope

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2023, 09:05:33 AM »

That's still total Galaxy Brain sh!t. Republicans continue to fail to understand how social media works amongst other things.

I'm reminded of the Doomers who insisted that Trump's Postal Service sabotage would destroy Biden's chances because loads of Democrats would wait until the last days to mail in their ballots and no one would pay attention to the news about it and Democratic GOTV operations would completely ignore it because "voters are stupid." And then it got huge publicity and coverage and that didn't happen!
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix

P
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2023, 10:17:45 AM »

There was roughly equal turnout amongst both Republican and Democratic counties, and the "No" side won by 14%. This is enough proof that Ohio is a pro-choice state.
Jerseyan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2023, 10:35:14 AM »

There was roughly equal turnout amongst both Republican and Democratic counties, and the "No" side won by 14%. This is enough proof that Ohio is a pro-choice state.

Honestly, if you put it to a vote nationwide, only a handful of states would vote against abortion rights. Its just a matter of how important of an issue it is to voters in their respective states.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »

That's still total Galaxy Brain sh!t. Republicans continue to fail to understand how social media works amongst other things.

I'm reminded of the Doomers who insisted that Trump's Postal Service sabotage would destroy Biden's chances because loads of Democrats would wait until the last days to mail in their ballots and no one would pay attention to the news about it and Democratic GOTV operations would completely ignore it because "voters are stupid." And then it got huge publicity and coverage and that didn't happen!

They thought cause given that they did succeed in passing such measure in FL , it would be successful in OH too .

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2023, 11:06:33 AM »

They thought cause given that they did succeed in passing such measure in FL , it would be successful in OH too .

Then when things do still pass that the Republicans don’t want (like restoring felon voting rights) they still try and reverse it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2023, 11:10:31 AM »

Note that it passed in Florida, in 2006 of all years, cause the initiative process in the years immediately preceding it was actually being abused with things people didn't think needed to be on the ballot. And since then it hasn't exactly stopped popular liberal initiatives from passing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2023, 11:34:28 AM »

Can't wait for yet another round of pundits saying that abortion has "faded" as an issue after the 50th example that it hasn't
Dave Hedgehog
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »

Can't wait for yet another round of pundits saying that abortion has "faded" as an issue after the 50th example that it hasn't

It hasn't faded as an issue as the Republicans persist in devoting all their strengths to banning it, despite the numerous indications that the majority of voters even in red states don't agree with them on it.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2023, 12:16:07 PM »

Note that it passed in Florida, in 2006 of all years, cause the initiative process in the years immediately preceding it was actually being abused with things people didn't think needed to be on the ballot. And since then it hasn't exactly stopped popular liberal initiatives from passing.

Yes, this was from a different era so not really comparable.  Also the most aggressive initiatives were coming from the right back then IIRC and then there was just altogether crazy stuff like creating a constitutional obligation to build a monorail(!) between Orlando and Miami.

There are 2 states that have actually passed restrictions in recent years, but they were both on narrower terms than what Ohio R's proposed:

In 2022, AZ voters passed a 60% threshold that applies specifically to initiatives that would raise taxes.

In 2016, CO voters raised the threshold for passage of constitutional amendments from 50% to 55%.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2023, 12:43:51 PM »

DailyKos made this map which shows the margin difference between the ballot issue results so far and the 2020 presidential results:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies