Is it a good question? What's your option?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:00:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is it a good question? What's your option?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it a good question? What's your option?  (Read 64 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2023, 09:13:34 PM »

"Cool" is a word with many meanings. Its old meaning is used to show a temperature that is a little bit cold. As the world has changed, the word has had many different meanings.
"Cool" can be used to express feelings of interest in almost everything. When you see a famous car in the street, maybe you will say, "It’s cool." You may think he's so cool when you see your favorite footballer. We all maximize the meanings of "cool".
You can use it instead of many words such as "new" or "surprising".
Here's an interesting story we can use to show the way the word is used. A teacher asked her students to write about a waterfall they had visited. There was just one sentence on one student's paper, "It's so cool." Maybe he thought it was the best way to show what he saw and how he felt. But the story also shows the scarcity of words. Without "cool", some people have no words to show the same meaning. So it is quite important to keep some credibility.
Can you think of many other words that make your life as colorful as the word "cool"? Yes, I can. And I think they are also very cool.

1. In the passage, the writer suggests that the word "cool"_________.
A. can be used instead of many words
B. usually means something interesting
C. can make your life colorful
D. may not be as cool as it seems
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 05:54:41 PM »

It's not a good question, unless the student knows that multiple answers are possible. I highlighted two passages that are very good matches to options for the question A and C. I would consider either of those correct.

"Cool" is a word with many meanings. Its old meaning is used to show a temperature that is a little bit cold. As the world has changed, the word has had many different meanings.
"Cool" can be used to express feelings of interest in almost everything. When you see a famous car in the street, maybe you will say, "It’s cool." You may think he's so cool when you see your favorite footballer. We all maximize the meanings of "cool".
You can use it instead of many words such as "new" or "surprising".
Here's an interesting story we can use to show the way the word is used. A teacher asked her students to write about a waterfall they had visited. There was just one sentence on one student's paper, "It's so cool." Maybe he thought it was the best way to show what he saw and how he felt. But the story also shows the scarcity of words. Without "cool", some people have no words to show the same meaning. So it is quite important to keep some credibility.
Can you think of many other words that make your life as colorful as the word "cool"? Yes, I can. And I think they are also very cool.

1. In the passage, the writer suggests that the word "cool"_________.
A. can be used instead of many words
B. usually means something interesting
C. can make your life colorful
D. may not be as cool as it seems

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies