Result of all Presidental elections combined
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:38:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Result of all Presidental elections combined
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Result of all Presidental elections combined  (Read 354 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:10:44 PM »

Above is a map combining every single electoral college result in American history. The ability to have 6 candidates instead of just 4 was a godsend for this piece, but 7 would've been the real magic number. As it stands, I'm happy how it came out.

Republicans currently have a 75 EV majority over Democrats, despite Democrats having a considerable head start in the 19th century. Republicans have run in every election for the White House since 1856, Democrats since 1828. The Democratic party includes Horace Greeley's run in 1872.

Although the Whig Party did not compete until the 1836 election, I have merged the National Republican Party (1828/32) into it, and also the (un)American party which won Maryland in 1856.

The Democratic Republican Party began in 1796 with Thomas Jefferson, and lasted through 1824. The 1824 election, despite being a 4 way contest, is treated similar to the 1820 election because all candidates were officially trying to lead it.

George Washington is counted as a Federalist, because although he disliked the concept of political parties, he broadly supported most Federalist policies. Also I needed to merge him into something.

The Southern Democrats are the various southern third party candidates in favor of slavery (John Breckenridge) and later segregation (George Wallace) that ran against the national Democratic party. Stephen Douglas is the national Democratic candidate for 1860.

The Progressives are a motley crew of populist, progressive, or left wing parties or candidates that won electoral votes. They may or may not be entirely compatible with each other. This category includes the Populists of 1892, the Bull Moose party of 1912, and Fighting Bob's 1924 win in his home state of Wisconsin.

The faithless electors are mostly divided between the two parties the electors were originally assigned to. The New Hampshire faithless elector to JQA in 1820 is given to the Federalists, as said elector was clearly pro-Federalist and probably only left because the party was no longer viable. This means JQA's electors are from three parties, the Federalists, the Democratic Republicans (the party he actually ran for, but this also includes Jackson '24), and the Whigs (as merged with the National Republicans). Finally there is one Libertarian faithless elector from Virginia.

If you disagree with any decision I have made, or spot any mistakes (the whole thing with JQA probably is one but I'm not going to change it now) feel free to create your own version.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 07:15:44 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2023, 07:32:06 PM by bagelman »

Here's a map I made in February of last year but I don't think I posted, a popular vote version, although only since 1856.

and a lengthy writeup covering each state:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 10:21:58 AM »

The faithless electors are mostly divided between the two parties the electors were originally assigned to. The New Hampshire faithless elector to JQA in 1820 is given to the Federalists, as said elector was clearly pro-Federalist and probably only left because the party was no longer viable. This means JQA's electors are from three parties, the Federalists, the Democratic Republicans (the party he actually ran for, but this also includes Jackson '24), and the Whigs (as merged with the National Republicans).

Hey that's a cool factoid. I took a look at this Wiki page, and it looks Henry Clay can also make the same claim.

Given the other combinations, you could also reasonably combine the Constitutional Union with the Whig Party; personally I don't see it as any more of a stretch than e.g. putting Washington (particularly the 1789 candidacy) with the Federalists, or grouping all Southern Democrats together.

Cool map overall, thanks for sharing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies