Bush visits Michigan's Upper Peninsula
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:49:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush visits Michigan's Upper Peninsula
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush visits Michigan's Upper Peninsula  (Read 1827 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2004, 07:08:10 PM »

He's going to be here in my hometown tomorrow, the first sitting President to visit here since Taft in 1912. I wonder somewhat why he's making a campaign stop here though, since the entire UP only has 300,000 residents, and that's in a very large, spread out area. The entire Marquette "media market" (and that's still a large geographic area, but the entire area that receives Marquette TV stations as its primary source of info) is probably only about 150,000-200,000 population or so, tops. Marquette only has about 20,000 people, yet it's the largest city in the UP (the closest city that is bigger is Green Bay, 150 miles away). I would think he would have been better off spending his time somewhere else.

Not to mention that Marquette County, and the City in particular, lean solidly Democratic. Maybe that's the idea though, to try to reach out to Democratic areas and to small towns in particular.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 07:14:52 PM »

It could be a good move, depending on how receptive this crowd is going to be to the "values" thrust of his campaign, and, as you mentioned, there have been no visits since 1912, this one could have a disproportionate impact. If it only makes a marginal difference however, it probably wasn't worth it, given the small population. Maybe Rove thinks this area is "ripe" for campaigning compared to the relatively more saturated lower Michigan areas.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »

Depends.  Is this an actual campagn stop or is it yet another one of Bush's speeches before a hand=picked audience?  All presidents and candidates do it to some extent, but I can't recall the last time he actually met the public at large as opposed to a pre-screened friendly audience.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 07:28:24 PM »

Bush should lock himself in a bunker in Crawford, Texas to prevent us from having to listen to his gibberish, fear-mongering, and rhetoric.

Siege
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »

It's an actual campaign stop. Tickets were freely available to the public, first come, first serve.

I would assume that GOP VIPs will get the best seats though. Normally Bush would have a local elected official helping him out...but our Governor, both US Senators, US Representative, State Senator, and State Representative are all Democrats....
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 09:46:35 PM »

I guess that's the advantage of living in a battleground state.  A candidate can't hide when he comes to visit and get away with it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 07:59:13 AM »

Maybe Bush is worried about the election of Tony Martin on the Ontario side of the Soo? Cheesy

If anyones got a better explanation I'd like to hear it... sonce when was Marquette a swing area? 1984 I think...
Delusions of granduer from Dubya?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 10:50:11 AM »

Not to mention that Marquette County, and the City in particular, lean solidly Democratic. Maybe that's the idea though, to try to reach out to Democratic areas and to small towns in particular.

What think you of Bart Stupak?  He's a Democrat, and certainly is solidly with his party when it comes to economic issues, but he's more socially conservative than most Republicans.  That's the feeling I get about the U.P. in general: Union folks, solid rank-and-file Democrats, but if Bush can appeal to them on social/family issues, he may be able to steal some votes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:11:28 PM »

Good.  I don't see how it hurts him none.  But if he went there in late October, it would be a terrible move.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 10:31:32 PM »

Bad move. As part of this tour, he also went to DULUTH. In 1972 Nixon couldn't even crack 40% in Duluth! It'd make as much sense as campaigning in the Bronx.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 11:59:47 PM »

Eric, if the President wanted to visit my hometown, the last thing I would do is complain.  And that goes for any President.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 01:18:16 AM »

He's going to be here in my hometown tomorrow, the first sitting President to visit here since Taft in 1912. I wonder somewhat why he's making a campaign stop here though, since the entire UP only has 300,000 residents, and that's in a very large, spread out area. The entire Marquette "media market" (and that's still a large geographic area, but the entire area that receives Marquette TV stations as its primary source of info) is probably only about 150,000-200,000 population or so, tops. Marquette only has about 20,000 people, yet it's the largest city in the UP (the closest city that is bigger is Green Bay, 150 miles away). I would think he would have been better off spending his time somewhere else.

Don't worry buddy, it won't do much.  If anything I learned from Bush's multiple visits to Philadelphia, they don't sway opinion to his good.  They did in 2000, but the "Reagan Democrats" like the ones you guys have on the UP and we have in Northeast Philly will likely be back home as Democrats this election.  The same couldn't be said for last year's mayoral election here though and even I voted Republican in that one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 03:27:19 AM »

Bad move. As part of this tour, he also went to DULUTH. In 1972 Nixon couldn't even crack 40% in Duluth! It'd make as much sense as campaigning in the Bronx.

The day that Duluth votes GOP is the day that hell freezes over
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies