Why didn't Maryland Republicans seriously challenge the Congressional map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:58:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why didn't Maryland Republicans seriously challenge the Congressional map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why didn't Maryland Republicans seriously challenge the Congressional map?  (Read 651 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2023, 04:29:37 PM »

Maryland actually has a right-leaning Supreme Court, thanks to Hogan's influence, he actually appointed 6/7 of the justices on it. Considering how much Republicans whine about the Maryland map this makes me wonder why they don't just challenge it outright because they'd actually have a great chance of getting it struck down unless we believe that Maryland Republicans actually have a belief in the ISL and refuse to take action on principal, which is just lol. Seems like an obvious course of action to take.

(unless it was and I just missed it.)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 04:47:11 PM »

Maryland actually has a right-leaning Supreme Court, thanks to Hogan's influence, he actually appointed 6/7 of the justices on it. Considering how much Republicans whine about the Maryland map this makes me wonder why they don't just challenge it outright because they'd actually have a great chance of getting it struck down unless we believe that Maryland Republicans actually have a belief in the ISL and refuse to take action on principal, which is just lol. Seems like an obvious course of action to take.

They threatened to and then brokered a compromise map iirc, which is why the current map is pretty clean compared to last cycle.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 08:07:46 PM »

They threatened to and then brokered a compromise map iirc, which is why the current map is pretty clean compared to last cycle.

Also, keep in mind those Hogan judges were all confirmed by a supermajority Dem state senate, so they likely aren't exactly Alitos.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:43:25 AM »

The initial map did get struck down.  The current map is 7-1, best case for the GOP would probably be 6-1-1 with the 6th taking in less of Montco and going further east in Northern Maryland.    However, with Frederick County trending Dem that probably wouldn't last long anyway.   Republicans probably just didn't feel it was worth it to at best trade a Dem leaning seat for a swing seat that is trending more Dem.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 12:05:16 PM »

Also, keep in mind those Hogan judges were all confirmed by a supermajority Dem state senate, so they likely aren't exactly Alitos.
Unlike NY and OH, MD constitution does not explicitly ban gerrymandering. The text based on what to strike the map down is only "free and fair elections". Ironically, R judges usually read the laws more narrowly, and less likely inclined to use these to strike down gerrymanders than D judges.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies