Texas GOP forbids local municipalities for mandating water breaks.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas GOP forbids local municipalities for mandating water breaks.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas GOP forbids local municipalities for mandating water breaks.  (Read 442 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2023, 10:03:14 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2023, 03:07:46 PM by jimmie »

Absolutely insane extremism.. and I thought that conservatives now a days respected the working clase who do physical work?

https://scrippsnews.com/stories/texas-removes-mandate-for-construction-worker-water-breaks-amid-heat/

As Texas endures rising and sweltering heat conditions this summer, officials in that state warned residents and workers to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

But, in what could be considered a great irony to many, especially considering the timing, the state's Gov. Greg Abbott signed legislation into law that would remove rules that made consistent water breaks for construction workers mandatory.

Why make it illegal for construction workers to have water breaks? Why??
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 10:12:57 PM »

They should come to Illinois, our 3-year construction project on I-90 - causing 2 hour trips from O’Hare to the Loop in rush hour - seems like a great gig.  I’ve literally never seen a single worker out there past 3:00 pm and randomly nobody is there in the morning.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »

https://scrippsnews.com/stories/texas-removes-mandate-for-construction-worker-water-breaks-amid-heat/

As Texas endures rising and sweltering heat conditions this summer, officials in that state warned residents and workers to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

But, in what could be considered a great irony to many, especially considering the timing, the state's Gov. Greg Abbott signed legislation into law that would remove rules that made consistent water breaks for construction workers mandatory.

Obviously this is not great (and Septembers are still pretty damn hot in Texas), but here’s the fine print.

Though the law is not set to go into effect until Sept. 1, it's uncertain what this summer's expected high temperatures will bring in just a matter of weeks, and later on in the season.
The law will remove ordinances put in place in Austin in 2010 and in Dallas in 2015 that require the hydration breaks to protect workers in the southern state. San Antonio lawmakers are also considering removing similar ordinances, according to the Texas Tribune.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 12:58:46 PM »

Absolutely insane extremism.. and I thought that conservatives now a days respected the working clase who do physical work?

They didn’t make water breaks illegal, they just made them non-mandatory. Are you capable of reading?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 02:06:59 PM »

They didn’t make water breaks illegal, they just made them non-mandatory. Are you capable of reading?

Of course I can read. But I will say no private sector employer would allow for water breaks without being forced to. I have always pushed for mass unionization of the private sector.

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:56:14 PM »

Upon review without emotions, the thread title I made is a BIT misleading. But to me, mandatory water breaks for construction workers and paid sick leave for food service workers does make a lot of sense.

most LARGE employers won't DENY things like that.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 03:10:27 PM »

Because Fuhrer Abbott only believes in small government when it's a liberal above him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 07:37:35 PM »

They should come to Illinois, our 3-year construction project on I-90 - causing 2 hour trips from O’Hare to the Loop in rush hour - seems like a great gig.  I’ve literally never seen a single worker out there past 3:00 pm and randomly nobody is there in the morning.

Whenever there's something truly appalling on an economic policy that screws human beings over, you always put the r in rino front and center. Well done!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 07:39:14 PM »

They forced municipalities not to require them. Which means in said municipalities those water breaks will largely disappear. Which of course is a dick move by any measurement.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 07:56:12 PM »

Like I said in the other thread , stuff like this makes someone like me have a more positive opinion of unions
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »

We already had a thread a week ago.

The bill broadly does away with many different local commercial regulations. It doesn't mention water breaks or construction specifically, that is just one thing that will be affected. 

There's a lot to be said for letting localities set their own rules on these kinds of things, especially where state regulations are lacking. On the other hand it does cost time and resources for businesses to have to comply with different rules depending on what place they are working in from one day or week to the next.

Employers still have to comply with OSHA standards, though some argue they don't go far enough.
https://www.osha.gov/heat/worker-information
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2023, 12:31:26 PM by RINO Tom »

They should come to Illinois, our 3-year construction project on I-90 - causing 2 hour trips from O’Hare to the Loop in rush hour - seems like a great gig.  I’ve literally never seen a single worker out there past 3:00 pm and randomly nobody is there in the morning.

Whenever there's something truly appalling on an economic policy that screws human beings over, you always put the r in rino front and center. Well done!

For how smart you think you are, your critiques of people on this forum are so frickin' lazy.  My friend has worked in construction for 8+ years, and his private firm would have been out there more often and gotten this done in WAY less than 2 years.  They are paid well, they like their boss and they get generous vacation time ... but when there is a job to do, they don't drag it out.  Every single person in that company he has talked to likes working for their boss, and they're all fine with a work schedule that maximizes daylight and AT LEAST gets work done during a typical 9-5 weekday timeframe.  I'm sure you think they're the sweatshop equivalent when it comes to construction and that Illinois is just so noble for hiring a totally uncorrupt and wholesome union-backed group to do the job in triple the time, but that's frankly a laughable take in this state.

But yeah, Badger, go on and preach me the gospel of economic egalitarianism that only your righteous party can provide, that those of us too stupid or too selfish to comprehend just haven't gotten behind YET!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies