How would Jeb Bush have done?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:29:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would Jeb Bush have done?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would Jeb Bush have done?  (Read 1563 times)
Redban

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »

The book "Game Change" says that Repubs were unhappy with the 2012 primary candidates, including Romney. Christie was the first choice for large donors and the establishment, but Jeb was another name, alongside Mitch Daniels, whom people wanted to run

My hunch is that Jeb sat out 2012 because he knew Obama was hard to beat, and he preferred the open field of 2016.

Do you think, hindsight 20-20, that Jeb should have ran in 2012? Do you think he could have won or, at least, done better than Romney? Could he have beaten Mitt Romney in a primary match up in 2012?

The major downside, of course, is that Dubya was still toxic in 2012, so Jeb would've had to work hard to overcome his surname
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »

Jeb was never going to be President, and in fact never going to win the Republican primary, after the GWB Administration. It kind of just is what it is.

Daniels would've been a dream President but I'm really not sure any Republican was beating Obama in 2012. Christie would of course have been awful.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

Jeb was never going to be President, and in fact never going to win the Republican primary, after the GWB Administration. It kind of just is what it is.

Daniels would've been a dream President but I'm really not sure any Republican was beating Obama in 2012. Christie would of course have been awful.

Daniels had the charisma of a pine cone.  He wouldn’t have done any better than Romney.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 10:10:50 PM »

Daniels had the charisma of a pine cone.  He wouldn’t have done any better than Romney.

I suspect he might've done much better than Romney at being President. I think I agree that as candidate he would've had very few advantages over Romney.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 05:50:33 AM »

As much as I personally like the Bushes, their name was a massive turnoff to the average GOP voter. From H.W Bush getting beat by Clinton to 2008-2009 with Dubya and the War on Terror. These factors would contribute to independents and moderate Republicans abstaining or defecting to the Obama camp. Romney wasn't a Bush but he wasn't a great candidate. A better Republican would've done better but a Bush would've done worse than Romney 2012.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 07:12:11 AM »

lolcuckbush
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 09:35:57 PM »

lolcuckbush

I believe Mr. Obama was candidate in 2012, not Hillary

Looks at board.

Notices year.

Sh*t.

Alright give me a minute.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 09:42:36 PM »

As much as I personally like the Bushes, their name was a massive turnoff to the average GOP voter. From H.W Bush getting beat by Clinton to 2008-2009 with Dubya and the War on Terror. These factors would contribute to independents and moderate Republicans abstaining or defecting to the Obama camp. Romney wasn't a Bush but he wasn't a great candidate. A better Republican would've done better but a Bush would've done worse than Romney 2012.
Him being on a ticket would have been political suicide too.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 11:13:11 AM »

What state would Jeb have lost? Only NC was the only narrow Romney win. He probably wins FL, given that Romney barely lost it.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 07:02:36 PM »

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 07:51:50 PM »

He would've only flipped Indiana. Everything else from 2008 would've remained in tact.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 09:04:45 PM »

Running a Bush 1 election after the election during which the Great Recession happened? LOL
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »

He would've only flipped Indiana. Everything else from 2008 would've remained in tact.

Florida was the closest state, and Jeb had been governor of the state for two terms. Hard to believe he couldn't have carried it...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 11:36:55 AM »

Take 2008, but switch Montana or Georgia for Indiana.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 10:18:11 PM »

Florida was the closest state, and Jeb had been governor of the state for two terms. Hard to believe he couldn't have carried it...

It went blue at the end of his brother's presidency.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 04:25:08 PM »

He would have flipped Florida.  Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio would have all flipped.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies