European Football Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:34:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Football Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: European Football Thread  (Read 48285 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2007, 12:55:40 AM »

Chelsea edges out another win today, I thought for a moment Terry was going to start throwing fists again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2007, 02:49:48 AM »

German cup semifinals coming up.
Tuesday Nuremberg vs us (I'm going!)
Wednesday Wolfsburg vs Stuttgart.

If we win and Stuttgart wins, we're back in Europe. Well not technically yet, but Stuttgart would have to take a maximum of 2 points from the remaining five games to drop to sixth place - and even that only if Leverkusen wins everything and Nuremberg wins everything except their upcoming away game to Leverkusen. So we'd probably be officially back in Europe by next weekend.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »

Today it was announced that Poland/Ukraine are hosting the 2012 European Football Championships.

It´s the 3rd time 2 states combined are hosts after Belgium/Netherlands in 2000, Austria/Switzerland in 2008 and now Poland/Ukraine in 2012.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »

German cup semifinals coming up.
Tuesday Nuremberg vs us (I'm going!)
Wednesday Wolfsburg vs Stuttgart.

If we win and Stuttgart wins, we're back in Europe.
That didn't go too well...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE events are occuring at this moment in time, Unspeakable really.

Though the plus side is now Chelsea won't do the three in a row.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2007, 02:35:53 AM »

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE events are occuring at this moment in time, Unspeakable really.

Though the plus side is now Chelsea won't do the three in a row.
Yes, Liverpool qualifing for another Champions League Final is indeed horrible.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 09:47:46 AM »

Surely not, United winning the title instead of Chelsea - good Smiley
Sunderland promoted under the guidance of the legend that is Roy Keane (who did turn around the awful work of the evil McCarthy) - excellent! Grin
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »

Charlton were relegated today, they fought very very hard, and I feel bad for Alan Pardew, who hit a bad patch at West Ham and was fired, only to very nearly pull a poor Charlton out of the pits, I like him, I think their chances in the Championship next year are good, I hope they're back up soon.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2007, 06:47:51 AM »

Today Champions League Final:

AC Milan vs. Liverpool

In their rematch of the legendary 2005 Final in Istanbul, when Liverpool kicked their @ss. One of the best games I´ve ever seen.

I hope Liverpool wins again today Smiley

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1oIPrGbsfvw
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2007, 07:43:01 AM by GMantis »

And I hope that Milan have their revenge today Smiley.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »

Well... the game has just finished, Milan played better, but what in the hell is the deal with the referee ending the game before MINIMUM stoppage had passed? Benitez has good reason to ask for an explanation.

Congrats to Milan, I still hate Italian football, they're horrible examples, and AC Milan doesn't deserve to be in competition this year.

This year, despite all the star power, has been a poor year for English clubs (even if you're a Man Utd. fan) I think next year will be a million times better.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2007, 04:29:08 PM »

Well... the game has just finished, Milan played better, but what in the hell is the deal with the referee ending the game before MINIMUM stoppage had passed? Benitez has good reason to ask for an explanation.
No such thing as "minimum stoppage". Nor anything unusual, at least in the Bundesliga, about the game ending up to 30 seconds before the referee's earlier estimate of how much he'll grant. (Which is all that figure on the sign is.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

AC Milan doesn't deserve to be in competition this year.
Strongly agree.

This year, despite all the star power, has been a poor year for English clubs (even if you're a Man Utd. fan) I think next year will be a million times better.
Strongly disagree.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United made the Semi Finals of the Champion's League. This can't be brushed off as poor.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2007, 09:00:02 PM »

Strongly agree.

Strongly disagree.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United made the Semi Finals of the Champion's League. This can't be brushed off as poor.

I agree that we did well in the Champions league, but we lost, and the Prem was boring this year, only two teams ever has a shot, Arsenal wasn't competitive, Liverpool stopped caring many weeks before the end (try Christmas) and West Ham cheated and no justice was done.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2007, 11:59:35 PM »

Grrr, Lucky Lombardian Pizza Bakers !
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2007, 06:08:59 AM »

Strongly agree.

Strongly disagree.

I agree that we did well in the Champions league, but we lost, and the Prem was boring this year, only two teams ever has a shot, Arsenal wasn't competitive, Liverpool stopped caring many weeks before the end (try Christmas) and West Ham cheated and no justice was done.
The Premier League (the championship that is, not relegation etc) has not been entertaining since... well ... since it has been the Premier League.
Not that Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Primera División etc are any better.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2007, 07:00:41 AM »

Strongly agree.

Strongly disagree.

Performance of teams in the Champion's League is a reasonably objective (or at least about as objective as is possible) measure of how strong the top teams in any particular league are.

Yes, Milan won, but by brushing off the fact that 3 Premiership teams made the semis - in describing it as a poor year for English clubs - this implicitly means that every other league (bar Serie A) had a 'poor year'. What exactly would make it a 'good year'?

As to the internal Premiership competitive balance, it's probably not fair to say that only two teams ever have a chance, things change from year to year. This year, Arsenal suffered because of Henry's injury trouble - had that not been the case, they could have been  serious challengers.

As for Liverpool, they stopped playing in the Premiership only when they got to the Champion's League semi - due to the importance of the semi (and later the final); and because it was only around that stage that they were solid for a top 4 finish and so qualification again next season (To say they stopped at Christmas is hardly fair, considering they were four for four in January).

Finally, as to West Ham, sure there was some sort of malarchy over the transfers, but I'm actually glad that it was the results on the pitch that decided matters, not some technical flaw in the transfers.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »

Congrats to Milan, I still hate Italian football, they're horrible examples, and AC Milan doesn't deserve to be in competition this year.

I supported Milan, but even I can't claim that they played better. Especially in the first half, their attack was feeble, and their defense not much better. Liverpool could easily be two up by the break and the goal was totally against the run of the play.
In the second half Milan did play better, but it's usually easier to play better if you're in the lead.
I agree that Milan didn't deserve to be in the Champions League: what use was their punshment if it didn't deprive them of their main source of income?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »

Beckham back in the England squad Shocked
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »

Really? Shocked

That's fun, it isn't the same without him.

Less than a week till the next round of qualification games now! I sure hope we can beat Denmark...a tie would be ok, but a loss could be it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »

I guess we can use this thread for the Euro Cup discussions...
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »

Beckham back in the England squad Shocked

Good news.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2007, 06:26:56 PM »

England 1-1 Brazil

Not the win that would have saved McClaren, but a good sign nonetheless.... you would think they could have held Brazil off for few more seconds though....

Beckham was in fine form, I hope he can continue producing like that.

In very sad news, Giggs has quit the Wales national team, he was one of a few bright spots for the team, I can hope sometime soon we can build a good young team, but for now, Wales stays at the bottom.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »

Representation of European Nations in first full round of European Cups (CL+UEFA), assuming Sevilla doesn't slip up against AEK (game was postponed for a week. In case of a sensation, Spain is 3+5 and Greece is 2+4):

Scotland 2 + 1
England 4 + 4
Netherlands 1 + 5
Belgium 0 + 3
France 2 + 5
Spain 4 + 4
Portugal 3 + 4
Norway 1 + 2
Sweden 0 + 5
Finland 0 + 1
Denmark 0 + 4
Germany 3 + 4
Switzerland 0 + 3
Austria 0 + 3
Italy 4 + 4
Poland 0 + 1
Czech Republic 1 + 2
Slovakia 0 + 1
Croatia 0 + 1
Bosnia 0 + 1
Serbia 0 + 1
Macedonia 0 + 1
Greece 1 + 4
Turkey 2 + 2
Cyprus 0 + 1
Israel 0 + 1
Bulgaria 0 + 3
Romania 1 + 2
Ukraine 2 + 2
Belarus 0 + 1
Russia 1 + 3
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »

Basically confirming what we already know.. the leagues outside the big five or so in Western Europe continue to get shafted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies